Our Future | The Boneyard

Our Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Three weeks ago, or whatever, we all thought we'd be in the ACC. I was talking to friends about buying season tickets. And then we got gut punched. And then bludgeoned today.

But I'm feeling better than I did even earlier today. Expansion isn't ending at 14. There will be another round. And depending on who takes from whom, there will be more than 1 spot open, and we will get in. But we need to rally the base here and put together some sort of conference that is clearly the sixth best in football and has some semblance of basketball acumen.

From this end, its clear we need to have a western division--preferably one you don't really play against much. Keep them separate, and only meet in the conference tournament. Get the best universities you can out west--universities that aspire to the Pac12 and might, given the right circumstances, have a shot in 10 years. That will give them incentive to work particularly hard.

Refugees
  1. UConn
  2. Cincy
  3. Temple
  4. USF
  5. ECU
  6. Memphis
  7. UCF
  8. (another mid-western team? a MAC school?)
Pioneers

1. SDSU
  2. Boise
  3. Tulane
  4. SMU
  5. Houston
  6. New Mexico
  7. Nevada
  8. UNLV?
UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis isn't bad for basketball in the east; SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico isn't terrible out West. New Mexico and Nevada are both flagship universities that, if they raised their profile, and the Pac12 got desperate enough, might be looked at. Not likely to happen, but hey, maybe. For basketball, 14 game round robin in division, 4 games against opposing division. Football--play your division and one across. Championship game at home of the team with the better record.
Is this great? No. Is it the worst--no, it probably could get worse. But I can see UConn's basketball and football being a success out of here--enough of a success to move into a better conference when they come calling.
Some rue the day we went FBS in football--but Georgetown or Villanova aren't going to ACC or B1G. Is UConn? Maybe. Probably sometime in the future. We just really need to make the best of this turd-sandwich.

Reaction Score
Three weeks ago, or whatever, we all thought we'd be in the ACC. I was talking to friends about buying season tickets. And then we got gut punched. And then bludgeoned today.

But I'm feeling better than I did even earlier today. Expansion isn't ending at 14. There will be another round. And depending on who takes from whom, there will be more than 1 spot open, and we will get in. But we need to rally the base here and put together some sort of conference that is clearly the sixth best in football and has some semblance of basketball acumen.

From this end, its clear we need to have a western division--preferably one you don't really play against much. Keep them separate, and only meet in the conference tournament. Get the best universities you can out west--universities that aspire to the Pac12 and might, given the right circumstances, have a shot in 10 years. That will give them incentive to work particularly hard.

Refugees
  1. UConn
  2. Cincy
  3. Temple
  4. USF
  5. ECU
  6. Memphis
  7. UCF
  8. (another mid-western team? a MAC school?)
Pioneers

1. SDSU
  2. Boise
  3. Tulane
  4. SMU
  5. Houston
  6. New Mexico
  7. Nevada
  8. UNLV?
UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis isn't bad for basketball in the east; SDSU, UNLV, and New Mexico isn't terrible out West. New Mexico and Nevada are both flagship universities that, if they raised their profile, and the Pac12 got desperate enough, might be looked at. Not likely to happen, but hey, maybe. For basketball, 14 game round robin in division, 4 games against opposing division. Football--play your division and one across. Championship game at home of the team with the better record.

Is this great? No. Is it the worst--no, it probably could get worse. But I can see UConn's basketball and football being a success out of here--enough of a success to move into a better conference when they come calling.
Some rue the day we went FBS in football--but Georgetown or Villanova aren't going to ACC or B1G. Is UConn? Maybe. Probably sometime in the future. We just really need to make the best of this turd-sandwich.

this is pretty much what was put out in the other thread. It's unfortunate, but like you said it STILL could be worse. There is very other options, that do not involve UConn joining the MAC. Just make the most out of it and win as much as possible. hopefully the wins will increase and fan support continues, but somehow recruiting will need to remain at the level it is. Thank God we got the practice facility early and can attract some kids with that and great academics.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is really the only perspective you can have.

When Louisville got selected over us for the ACC, I honestly had a minor meltdown (I'll only admit this on here because it's anonymous). However, while our position absolutely sucks, what are we going to do? Stop being UConn fans? Hell no.

Nobody has any clue how any of this is going to play out and while we are facing huge financial ramifications, huge 'access' ramifications and on the borderline of fading into oblivion all we can do is keep our programs at the best level possible and in position for an invite should it eventually come.

For now, people need to realize this current whatever the hell it is, New Conference is ours for the taking.

That access bowl for non-AQs? No reason we shouldn't be playing Boise State for that.

Hoops? With Kevin Ollie, a $40M facility and some good scheduling, we can still be a top school.

This isn't some BS 'rah-rah' speech. We are facing a tremendous disadvantage due to our situation.

Things change. Rivalries, conferences, really most everything in life. Except this. I'm a UConn Husky and I'm a UConn Husky for life.

Keep supporting the programs and hope for the best. Remember, anyone putting on the National Flag Blue and White is a Husky too. They deserve our support. Let's do this.

Reaction Score
Keep supporting the programs and hope for the best. Remember, anyone putting on the National Flag Blue and White is a Husky too. They deserve our support. Let's do this.
I'm 100% in and will be at every game at the xl and rent until reasons beyond conference realignment affect that. I can only hope the same can be said regarding the less dedicated fans. The teams need it and the players deserve it.

Reaction Score
No matter who we play if we win the casual fans will show up in masses. They don't know any better.

Reaction Score
No matter who we play if we win the casual fans will show up in masses. They don't know any better.
your right. maybe that is the point WM is making about winning in every press event he handles.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I was thinking the same thing. Might be wishful thinking, but The Boneyard crowd is in regardless, maybe if UConn get start to go 9-3 and 27-4 every season the 'casual fan' starts to show up. Who knows.

Reaction Score
Reallignment isn't over. As things stand right now we'll be playing in a decent conference. OK not as good as the old BE but still decent and probably as good as the new Cathloic schools conference.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm 100% in and will be at every game at the xl and rent until reasons beyond conference realignment affect that. I can only hope the same can be said regarding the less dedicated fans. The teams need it and the players deserve it.

I'm gonna deck the halls with boughs of national flag blue and white until the day I die, my friend. I'll be there with you at every game that I can, in full UConn apparel...

Reaction Score
Let's just try to make the conference make sense for the individual teams. That's my one thing. If I'm going to be stuck in a conference with Cincy-Temple-Memphis-ECU and others, at least try to make me care about playing them. And the only way to do that is Home-Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom