Our Athletic Department Smokes Crack | The Boneyard

Our Athletic Department Smokes Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they think we will average 10,000 fans for basketball next season. There will be one sellout - Louisville.

Reaction Score
If they think we will average 10,000 fans for basketball next season. There will be one sellout - Louisville.

The ADs job is to put out the best product it can. The rest is up to the fans. If no one wants to watch UConn basketball anymore, then what's to complain about? Who will care? No one.

You see, it works out both ways. If people show up, good. If they don't show up, it doesn't matter.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I count at least ten people on this board who think they can perform Warde's job better than he can.

You know, the one he started at exactly 383 days ago.

When Jim Calhoun was still coach.

When the school was still trying to propose its own APR penalties to avoid missing the postseason.

When we were still 6 months fresh from hearing about Pitt and Syracuse defecting. And still nearly six months away from finding out they would be paying the early exit fee.

So yea, let's blame that guy.

Reaction Score
I count at least ten people on this board who think they can perform Warde's job better than he can.

You know, the one he started at exactly 383 days ago.

When Jim Calhoun was still coach.

When the school was still trying to propose its own APR penalties to avoid missing the postseason.

When we were still 6 months fresh from hearing about Pitt and Syracuse defecting. And still nearly six months away from finding out they would be paying the early exit fee.

So yea, let's blame that guy.

I said department, not director. The majority of the athletic department has been here for years. If we want to talk about Warde's performance, he's had 383 days to schedule an opponent for football and there have been a grand total of 0 games scheduled.

In terms of basketball, Calhoun basically appointed Ollie head coach and that worked out well. It took a long time for Warde to give him a contract, that is not his success.

Reaction Score
Crack is not so bad. :)

At least the rest of the NCAA/BCS world smokes it!

Reaction Score

The 2013/14 schedule is out? Cool. Please post a link.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
The 2013/14 schedule is out? Cool. Please post a link.

Thanks.

We know what the conference schedule is. Not hard to figure out we will play each conference team twice.

Reaction Score
Conference games?...let's see...home games vs. Temple, Memphis, Cincy. Decent start. The rest? Ehh.

OOC is what we have no idea on and it obviously will be key.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Are we turning into the East Cost Gonzaga?

Reaction Score
I don't personally expect many changes in the non-conference schedule from what we saw this year. A couple of Majors-Michigan State, NC State, Wake Forrest, Washington (yeah I know Wake stinks but they are part of a major conference), and a bunch of glop. One change I think is possible is to see a couple of the junk games upgraded a bit. So instead of Maryland Eastern shore, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, Quinnipiac, Vermont, Fordham, Harvard, which is a fairly typical UConn schedule, you might see Vermont replaced by a better A-10 type school and Eastern Shore replaced by say another Wake type program. If anyone thinks our non-conference schedule is going to be Indiana, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan State, I think you are dreaming.

Reaction Score
We will be going to Washington next year and I believe the Texas series resumes next year @ home according to the agreement signed a while ago:

http://www.soxanddawgs.com/huskies/articles/uconn-texas-to-meet-in-mens-basketball.html

Other than those two, we need to get as many OOC games that we can in December against higher profile teams. The cupcakes are going to come in January and February instead of December. This is going to be tough but we've gotta figure out a way to get it done.

Reaction Score
I don't personally expect many changes in the non-conference schedule from what we saw this year. A couple of Majors-Michigan State, NC State, Wake Forrest, Washington (yeah I know Wake stinks but they are part of a major conference), and a bunch of glop. One change I think is possible is to see a couple of the junk games upgraded a bit. So instead of Maryland Eastern shore, New Hampshire, Stony Brook, Quinnipiac, Vermont, Fordham, Harvard, which is a fairly typical UConn schedule, you might see Vermont replaced by a better A-10 type school and Eastern Shore replaced by say another Wake type program. If anyone thinks our non-conference schedule is going to be Indiana, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan State, I think you are dreaming.
It will have to be at least 2 or 3 of those or else there will be crickets in gampel and especially in XL. I'll grant you the football side of things is not as bad as some think but this new basketball conference is horrid. Even the good teams - Cincy, Memphis, Temple - there's no real juice there. There is no rivalry with them. No Cuse, Pitt, Gtown, Ville, ND....hell even low lifes like Providence.

Reaction Score
Crack would make them productive. My guess is they snort Xanax all day.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
If everyone stays we wil be a serious contender next year so I think your wrong

Reaction Score
We average well over 10,000 this year in a season we are ineligible for any post season play. Next year we should be ranked all season and the media blackout will be over. Next year we're going to have a great team that's been through a lot, and I know I will be going to as many games as I can. I expect many other fans feel the same way about this

Reaction Score
Are we turning into the East Cost Gonzaga?
If we remain in the NBE we probably will be more like an east coast Gonzaga. The key for us will be the out of conference schedule for basketball. Manual has to get busy scheduling ranked opponents even if we have to play them on their court.Maybe he can salvage something with the C7. It really is the only way to protect our RPI and prepare Uconn for the tournament. This isn't easy but it can be done.
Football is a different story. I have no idea how the athletic department will schedule meaningful opponents.

Reaction Score
It will have to be at least 2 or 3 of those or else there will be crickets in gampel and especially in XL. I'll grant you the football side of things is not as bad as some think but this new basketball conference is horrid. Even the good teams - Cincy, Memphis, Temple - there's no real juice there. There is no rivalry with them. No Cuse, Pitt, Gtown, Ville, ND....hell even low lifes like Providence.
Well, if you go back far enough, and sadly I do, the one thing I'll say is that really none of those rivalries were much for UConn in the early days of the Big East. Certainly not in the pre-Big East period. Even in the early Big East, they were "rivalries" only in the sense that UConn hoped to upset some of them, and occasionally did, but for us it was more like the mule entered in the Kentucky derby. We didn't expect to win but we figured we'd benefit from the company. Our only real rival was BC. And they were probably #4 on our list pre-1979 behind Rhode Island, UMass and Holy Cross. For reasons I never quite got understood but apparently related to bad blood from many years ago, UConn almost never played Providence. I think we stopped playing them in the 1940s then didn't meet again until the ECAC tournament in 1975. Other than a couple of random games in the 50s, We didn't play Georgetown regularly until the 1970s. Didn't play St Johns except for a couple of tournament games until the Big East. the only one we played on anything like a regular basis was Syracuse, but even that was more on an on again-off again basis until the Big East began. 4 games in a row, maybe 5 years off, 2 games, a few years off. that sort of thing. I think one would be hard pressed to call us rivals during that period. They were just a team we played semi-regularly. We played Villanova 4 times before they joined the big East and not since 1969. Hardly a major rival. So while we have over the history of the Big East built some of these into rivalries, it isn't like they were ordained as such. In fact, I htink you could really argue that until the Dream Season, UConn was really seen by most of those teams much the way we look at Seton Hall or Rutgers (with whom we actually do have a pretty long history for what its worth) today.

Reaction Score
Well, if you go back far enough, and sadly I do, the one thing I'll say is that really none of those rivalries were much for UConn in the early days of the Big East. Certainly not in the pre-Big East period. Even in the early Big East, they were "rivalries" only in the sense that UConn hoped to upset some of them, and occasionally did, but for us it was more like the mule entered in the Kentucky derby. We didn't expect to win but we figured we'd benefit from the company. Our only real rival was BC. And they were probably #4 on our list pre-1979 behind Rhode Island, UMass and Holy Cross. For reasons I never quite got understood but apparently related to bad blood from many years ago, UConn almost never played Providence. I think we stopped playing them in the 1940s then didn't meet again until the ECAC tournament in 1975. Other than a couple of random games in the 50s, We didn't play Georgetown regularly until the 1970s. Didn't play St Johns except for a couple of tournament games until the Big East. the only one we played on anything like a regular basis was Syracuse, but even that was more on an on again-off again basis until the Big East began. 4 games in a row, maybe 5 years off, 2 games, a few years off. that sort of thing. I think one would be hard pressed to call us rivals during that period. They were just a team we played semi-regularly. We played Villanova 4 times before they joined the big East and not since 1969. Hardly a major rival. So while we have over the history of the Big East built some of these into rivalries, it isn't like they were ordained as such. In fact, I htink you could really argue that until the Dream Season, UConn was really seen by most of those teams much the way we look at Seton Hall or Rutgers (with whom we actually do have a pretty long history for what its worth) today.
Yes , I remember the tournament game we lost against Rutgers. Al Weston and Joey Whelton kept us in the game the first half until Rutgers won going away in the second half. Our rivals at that time were the ECAC teams you mentioned especially URI who managed get get some Connecticut kids like Jiggy Williamson (younger brother of Super John), Sly Williams and others. We were never in the game for the really good Connecticut kids: Rod Foster, Mike Gminski etc. until we landed Corny Thompson. Things have changed just a little.:)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree with someone's previous post. If Napier and everyone stays, the frontcourt gets even 10% better, we're a top 10 team. We've prooved that this season.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If we remain in the NBE we probably will be more like an east coast Gonzaga. The key for us will be the out of conference schedule for basketball. Manual has to get busy scheduling ranked opponents even if we have to play them on their court.Maybe he can salvage something with the C7. It really is the only way to protect our RPI and prepare Uconn for the tournament. This isn't easy but it can be done.
Football is a different story. I have no idea how the athletic department will schedule meaningful opponents.
Agree...I think we all hope that something better comes along (B1G>>ACC), but it doesn't look very likely it right now.
on the bright side...Gonzaga will be #1 in the country when the next poll comes out...not bad company!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom