Our 2016 Class | The Boneyard

Our 2016 Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Amidst today's excitement, I thought I would take a look at where this current class stands, both compared to the program historically and contemporary programs today.

Perusing ESPN's Top 100, there are only two other programs in the entire country with three commits rated that highly: Florida State and Virginia. Granted we are 2 months before the early signing period and the Duke/UK/Arizonas of the world will inevitably pull in their usual monster classes, but this does speak volumes to the amount of talent we are pulling in, not just compared to the conference but to most of the P5 as well.

As we all know, much has been made of KO's inability to put together a truly dynamite class of incoming freshmen. Looking at his first two classes of Facey/Samuel/Brimah and Hamilton/Lubin, he was only able to bring in one bona fide star and one four-star guy capable of making noise as an underclassman. Last year's class of Adams and Enoch was seen by some as a step in the right direction for a) bringing in multiple four-stars and b) not bringing in low-ranked guys who didn't have much of a future, while others focused on the misses of Mack, Jones, Clarke, Briscoe, and others. However, I think that what we've seen from KO during this cycle is that he is capable of putting together a Calhoun-level recruiting class. This is the first time we've had three 4/5 stars since the '11 class of Drummond/Daniels/Boat, and it falls in nicely with the top half of the hauls we were getting the last four years of Calhoun's tenure, as well as those around our prior championships. That being said, if we are able to get a couple of guys to come in on the wing (think V. Jackson, Diallo, Powell), then there's a chance that this could end up being the best class the program has ever taken in. I know that's a lofty term to be throwing around, but the most Top 100 guys JC ever got was 4 in 2006 (Dyson, Robinson, Kelly, Wiggins). And the possibility that we top that has me awfully excited.

Reaction Score
We currently have the #3 ranked class on 247 barely behind Virginia and FSU. In my biased opinion we have the best class in the country by far as far as needs and depth. I think we are on the best 3-4 month recruiting run in UConn history and by a lot.

I love you KO.

Reaction Score
Also Durham was a consensus 5 star recruit before he hurt his knee. Kid has a ton of upside. Agree, KO has been killing it and I get the feeling he is not done yet for 2016.

Reaction Score
We have the best people. The best program. The best system. We are the future. Not the power 5. Our coaches are former players who rose to the top of a very demanding program. More than any other team our program plays to win...not to look good. KOs personality and NBA experience puts us over the top.

Reaction Score
Amazingly good news on a Tuesday! Would love Diallo to round class out.

To recap, class now is?

Durham
Diarra
Larrier
Gilbert

Am I missing anyone?

Reaction Score
Amazingly good news on a Tuesday! Would love Diallo to round class out.

To recap, class now is?

Durham
Diarra
Larrier
Gilbert

Am I missing anyone?
One more and we have a pretty decent 5

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What about what KO did with the transfers for this year? In 2 recruits he pulled us out of a swirling bowl.

I didn't discuss those here because IMO recruiting transfers takes a different skill set and strategy. KO has been pretty damned good at it ever since he arrived, whereas with recruiting high schoolers we have seen a marked improvement from the beginning of his tenure.

Reaction Score
Also Durham was a consensus 5 star recruit before he hurt his knee. Kid has a ton of upside. Agree, KO has been killing it and I get the feeling he is not done yet for 2016.
Scout.com still has him as a 5 star but everyone else moved him just out of the five star status. Hopefully he recovers fully from the ACL injury and his development picks up where he left off.

http://www.scout.com/player/180768-juwan-durham?s=75

Reaction Score
jibsey said:
What about what KO did with the transfers for this year? In 2 recruits he pulled us out of a swirling bowl.

What he did this off season in the transfer market was sorcery. Not sure we'll ever see anything like it again. With the misses in the 2015 class he needed quick fixes and nailed it.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought KO wouldn't be putting together classes like these within a few years of getting the job is crazy.

Who wouldn't want to play for him? He was always going to be an incredible recruiter

Reaction Score
What he did this off season in the transfer market was sorcery. Not sure we'll ever see anything like it again. With the misses in the 2015 class he needed quick fixes and nailed it.

Absolutely, I'll take Gibbs and Miller over any of the 2015 recruits that we missed out on. They bring not only proven talent, but four years of college ball experience. These were great gets by KO and they fill perfectly the two positions that were most in need.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Check out @tcf15 's scholarship grid for 16:

CN3Tp5FUAAAD7Nj.png:large

I'll assume 2 of D-Ham, Purvis, and Amida will be gone to the NBA next year. Which means we have between 2-4 scholarships still available for 2016. Need an impact combo guard/SF (Diallo/Powell) and a center. The rest is gravy. Tremendous job by KO the past few months!

Reaction Score
Check out @tcf15 's scholarship grid for 16:

CN3Tp5FUAAAD7Nj.png:large

I'll assume 2 of D-Ham, Purvis, and Amida will be gone to the NBA next year. Which means we have between 2-4 scholarships still available for 2016. Need an impact combo guard/SF (Diallo/Powell) and a center. The rest is gravy. Tremendous job by KO the past few months!

I know there is 0% chance of it happening, but could you imagine that 2016 team if Amida, Dham and Rodney all stay.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Anyone who thought KO wouldn't be putting together classes like these within a few years of getting the job is crazy.

Who wouldn't want to play for him? He was always going to be an incredible recruiter

The problem is, like anything related to basketball (playing, skill-coaching, gameplanning, scouting etc.) it takes time to develop the necessary skills and build up an aptitude. Any first-time HC who only has two years of recruiting as an assistant is going to start below the level of the typical blue-blood HC. But I give KO so much credit for being a fast learner and (presumably) drawing from his past misses to hone his pitch and whatnot.

Reaction Score
This class is getting better and better. I like this kid, and it's starting to look like we're just a big big away from a title. But - I guess oriakhi and Brimah both prove me wrong in that logic.

Reaction Score
we need guards for next year. Adams, Gilbert, and SC2 is not going to cut it (just can't see purvis back next year). I hope we bring in another scoring guard (diallo moving to '16 ideal), and one more ball handler. Doesn't seem like we're in on any more true pg's, but a few more sg's trying to be pg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom