Ouch... oh no Mulky did not?!?!?!?!?!?!? | The Boneyard

Ouch... oh no Mulky did not?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we clear our bench the other team should clear their bench?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Ouch! Georgia Tech kept their starters in. I have no issue with it for a while.... but the last minute they should have subbed...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Wallace is not a starter. She's the one who had 32 points for Tech.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
What Kim meant was "I wanted to win by 30+ points, so how dare them" :p

Reaction Score
Unless GT's starters are all seniors then it is a bit unclassy to keep them on the floor. I believe that if a team is losing or should I say the game is long gone then the coach should play as many seniors as possible. That would be the last time they hit the court in the NCAA tournament

Reaction Score
Geno tends to keep his starters in until the opposing coach pulls his/her starters and then he'll pull his immediately. If the opposing coach doesn't go to the bench players Geno will eventually go to his bench, but it often won't be until there is only a couple of minutes left in the game. I've always seen this as standard operating practice for coaches, but I've seen people claim they are unfamiliar with the losing team having to wave the white flag when being critical of Geno leaving his starters in.

Geno himself has been critical of coaches that keep their starters in the game when being blown out instead of signaling the white flag. He doesn't like coaches taken advantage of his bench players just to make the final score look better in the box score in his opinion.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
This reminds me of a story Calhoun tells about being a young coach and getting clobbered by St. Johns. Calhoun felt Lou Carnesecca kept his press on well after the game was decided and complained about it to Lou C who told him, "Irish, you can only coach one team at a time."

Reaction Score
Wallace is not a starter. She's the one who had 32 points for Tech.

Technically, you're right. She didn't start. But it was what, a minute into the game and she's in there? Three Georgia Tech players played 33 minutes and she was one of them. Great player, by the way.
I don't have a problem with GT playing their starters when Mulkey cleared her bench with 6:30 left. Frankly, opposing coaches can do what they want. It's a little tacky playing your starters till the final buzzer just to turn a 31 point deficit into a 15 point loss.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
The game was never in doubt. It was clear for almost the entire game that Baylor would be the winner, so I think it's a little tacky for Kim to complain that her team didn't win by 30+ points. If GA Tech wanted to keep playing their starters/key bench players, let them do it. It was a teaching moment for them. Kim should just worry about her own team.

Reaction Score
My understanding of this unwritten rule of basketball is the losing team subs in its non starters, signaling the winning coach that he should immediately sub in his 2nd string. The winning team does not tell the losing team to throw in the towel, that is only the choice of the losing teams coach to decide if that is what they want to do.

Reaction Score
My understanding of this unwritten rule of basketball is the losing team subs in its non starters, signaling the winning coach that he should immediately sub in his 2nd string. The winning team does not tell the losing team to throw in the towel, that is only the choice of the losing teams coach to decide if that is what they want to do.
You don't really believe that, do you? You think no one would have been critical of Mulkey had she left her starters in until Georgia Tech threw in the towel and started to sub? That's just not reality. The unwritten rule is that people expect the winning team to sub out its starters when the game is out of hand.

Reaction Score
You don't really believe that, do you? You think no one would have been critical of Mulkey had she left her starters in until Georgia Tech threw in the towel and started to sub? That's just not reality. The unwritten rule is that people expect the winning team to sub out its starters when the game is out of hand.

that is exactly correct,the winning team is expected to sub and call off the dogs but it comes with no expectation that the losing team is going to throw in the towel. Kim is wrong in thinking that because she subbed and felt the game was over that GT would acknownlegde that thinking.

Reaction Score
that is exactly correct,the winning team is expected to sub and call off the dogs but it comes with no expectation that the losing team is going to throw in the towel. Kim is wrong in thinking that because she subbed and felt the game was over that GT would acknownlegde that thinking.
I guess we'll have to agree to agree. :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The right thing for the team with the big lead to do is to get its best players out as soon as possible because a) it's simply the sporting thing to do, and b) you don't want to risk injury to your best players in garbage time, especially at the business end of a season. I don't really care what the losing team does as long as they don't extend the game needlessly with fouls and timeouts. That's just annoying.

Reaction Score
Kim needs to understand time snd place better. I was shocked when she said that.

She had no right to complain when Baylor attempted a three at the end game Vs Letting clock run out.

Reaction Score
Kim needs to understand time snd place better. I was shocked when she said that.

She had no right to complain when Baylor attempted a three at the end game Vs Letting clock run out.
Looking forward to those Neka dunks tonight . . .

Reaction Score

Amen!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to those Neka dunks tonight . . .

39 pts and 10 boards was pretty good. She can dunk by the way, at 6'2" so maybe we'll see her do it sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom