OU-WVU and Edsall | The Boneyard

OU-WVU and Edsall

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sooners win 59-56.

Both teams gave up more points than Uconn's historically bad D averages giving up each game.

But because each team could score and could create TO's, it's a fun, exciting game and no one in the national media will knock it.

Edsall needs to realize going forward this type of game will become more common.

Yes, defense needs fixing. That alone doesn't get UConn above .500.

Need QB and explosive playmakers at all skill positions.

Reaction Score
I agree with your points. I still prefer games with real defenses and where it isn’t so easy to gain huge chunks of yardages and score so many points.

Reaction Score

Anyone paying attention will notice that offense and special teams have improved significantly in the two years under Edsall vs what they were with Diaco. We do in fact run a modern offense under Edsall vs the 80's style grinds with P and D. That's why I don't understand so many posters saying he has lost his ability to coach or is out of touch with the modern game.....Maybe just maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he says its a player development problem created by some weak defensive recruiting in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The other point missed here is that either of those teams would literally score 90 - 100 against us. And it's not an exaggeration, considering how many points we allow to the likes of SMU or Tulsa.

It's not the style of play at issue here. It's the level of play...

Reaction Score
Sooners win 59-56.

Both teams gave up more points than Uconn's historically bad D averages giving up each game.

But because each team could score and could create TO's, it's a fun, exciting game and no one in the national media will knock it.

Edsall needs to realize going forward this type of game will become more common.

Whil I don’t necesarily agree that it was a “good” game, this is where the sport is at this point. Even in the NFL. You can’t win with ball control, especially with the AAC being the mini B12 in terms of style of play. Even Saban, who is a notorious ball control fanatic, has adapted and given his OCs much more leeway recently. Kids want to play this style of football, and you are not going to stop it on D. You have to keep up.

I don’t have faith in Edsall to change. He’s extremely arrogant and stubborn, takes no responsibility for anything that goes wrong and doesn’t let his coordinators do their jobs.

Here’s to hoping we find a way to get rid of him and hire and young up and coming OC or offensive minded 1-aa coach. If UCF, Cincy Memphis and Temple can be this good there is no reason we can’t be with a style re-brand. We already have the good overall athletic brand.

Reaction Score
The other point missed here is that either of those teams would literally score 90 - 100 against us. And it's not an exaggeration, considering how many points we allow to the likes of SMU or Tulsa.

It's not the style of play at issue here. It's the level of play...

More like 140 - 150. Boise and Syracuse could have put up 80 or 90 if they wanted to.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Anyone paying attention will notice that offense and special teams have improved significantly in the two years under Edsall vs what they were with Diaco. We do in fact run a modern offense under Edsall vs the 80's style grinds with P and D. That's why I don't understand so many posters saying he has lost his ability to coach or is out of touch with the modern game.....Maybe just maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he says its a player development problem created by some weak defensive recruiting in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Special Teams has probably been the biggest surprise this year. Very solid. I will give credit to RE on that.

Reaction Score

Ok. Let's give him benefit of the doubt. Offense goes from 120's under Diaco to 108 so far this year. Better but still well under average (65 would be middle of pack) for a team that was always behind and needed to score on every possession, and had lot of possessions given how bad the defense is.

So what is HCRE2.0's requirement for offensive points in 2019. Is 100's still ok? Does he get 2019 as a "freebee" since he has no experienced QB? That will be year 3 of the rebuild the right way journey.

Defense. Diaco's defense in 2016 was rated 65 against scoring, HCRE2.0's defense in 2017 was rated 121. 2017 had lot of seniors and guys who were part of 2 deep in 2016. I call that coaching down. In 2018 UConn gives up 50 points per game, the next worst AAC team is SMU with 36. Quite the accomplishment in setting your team apart from the rest of the league.

What's to come in 2019 with the defense? Just give an expectation of what will indicate good coaching/team management by HCRE2.0 in 2019. Does new DC give 2019 as "learning year" for the defense? No fill in's with juco and grad transfers ok? So are all these current freshman and red shirt freshman/sophomores on defense going to be ready in 2019, still seem pretty young vs. HCRE2.0's goal of "upperclassman on 2 deep". Another year of "what can I do with such a young team"?

Recruits for 2019 will be of very little assistance for 2019 defense, or offense for that matter.
So, what do you see for 2019, is what you see ok? Is there any level of performance by the team that will lead you to question "the path"?

If you were a recruit in 2019 why would you pick UConn if you had any other G5 or better offer? Maybe 'cause you know if you have trouble getting to class HCRE2.0 has your back or that he will work to make sure you have fewer night away games so you don't have to get home late.

It's never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score

We def don’t have a modern offense. We had one last year for half a season and then Edsall put the clamps on. We are well in bottom half this year with one of the more talented QBs we have ever had.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Trying to do a deep dive on anything other than the defense is asking Ms. Lincoln her opinion of the play.

The D averages about one stop per half. Which is exactly one more stop than the Marching Band averages.

Reaction Score
We def don’t have a modern offense. We had one last year for half a season and then Edsall put the clamps on. We are well in bottom half this year with one of the more talented QBs we have ever had.

Pindell is a very talented runner. He's also has rotten technique as a thrower and is slow to find open receivers. Personally I think Shirreffs last year was a much better overall QB, but that is just me.

and i'm not a believer in this boneyard myth that Edsall put the clamps on the offense by not allowing the hurry up. It was my opinion early last year that we should drop the hurry up offense. I hate the hurry up offense with a passion and think it should be banned, but that is just me. The hurry-up offense in essence forces these amatuers to endure 5 quarter games instead of 4 quarter games. Not a fan at all. We have had prolific offenses in the past without the hurry-up. It is not necessary to be a "modern" offense. To me modern means spread the field, go heavy with misdirection and have plenty of option plays.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just give an expectation of what will indicate good coaching/team management by HCRE2.0 in 2019.

I expect significant improvement on D in 2019. If we don't see it we will need a new head coach, but I think we will see significant improvement. Unfortunately significant improvement may not translate into many more wins as our schedule will once again be brutal. We realistically need to wait until 2020 to expect a winning team or even a .500 team.

Reaction Score
I expect significant improvement on D in 2019. If we don't see it we will need a new head coach, but I think we will see significant improvement. Unfortunately significant improvement may not translate into many more wins as our schedule will once again be brutal. We realistically need to wait until 2020 to expect a winning team or even a .500 team.

What I’m the world have you seen to expect the D to be better next year? They haven’t gotten better all year.

Reaction Score
Sooners win 59-56.

That's been the modern game now for a long time and Edsall never adapted. Hoping for things that will never happen makes you a sucker.

Reaction Score
Whil I don’t necesarily agree that it was a “good” game, this is where the sport is at this point. Even in the NFL. You can’t win with ball control, especially with the AAC being the mini B12 in terms of style of play. Even Saban, who is a notorious ball control fanatic, has adapted and given his OCs much more leeway recently. Kids want to play this style of football, and you are not going to stop it on D. You have to keep up.

I don’t have faith in Edsall to change. He’s extremely arrogant and stubborn, takes no responsibility for anything that goes wrong and doesn’t let his coordinators do their jobs.

Here’s to hoping we find a way to get rid of him and hire and young up and coming OC or offensive minded 1-aa coach. If UCF, Cincy Memphis and Temple can be this good there is no reason we can’t be with a style re-brand. We already have the good overall athletic brand.[/QUOTE

Pindell is a very talented runner. He's also has rotten technique as a thrower and is slow to find open receivers. Personally I think Shirreffs last year was a much better overall QB, but that is just me.

Yep!

[/QUOTE=Metsfan2323]

i'm not a believer in this boneyard myth that Edsall put the clamps on the offense by not allowing the hurry up. It was my opinion early last year that we should drop the hurry up offense. I hate the hurry up offense with a passion and think it should be banned, but that is just me. The hurry-up offense in essence forces these amatuers to endure 5 quarter games instead of 4 quarter games. Not a fan at all. We have had prolific offenses in the past without the hurry-up. It is not necessary to be a "modern" offense. To me modern means spread the field, go heavy with misdirection and have plenty of option plays.

Nope!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom