OU v Gators | The Boneyard

OU v Gators

Reaction Score
Total blow out with Gator players opting out. This is another pernicious side effect of the CFB invitational, devaluing the next tier of bowl games. The system is severely broken and unsustainable. Greed kills and it’s killing college football. As for the game, the Big12 just took a well deserved big dump on the committee.

Reaction Score
SEC players don't act too bright, anyway. Especially, ahem, Florida. Their 2020 season will be remembered as a season of playoff contention and Heisman hopes thrown away with a shoe toss and interceptions over the last 3 games. UF possibly could have been in the playoffs had they beaten LSU.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This wasn't only about players opting out because of "greed"....it also was because of covid. This isn't the year to draw any conclusions that the "system is broken".

Reaction Score
This wasn't only about players opting out because of "greed"....it also was because of covid. This isn't the year to draw any conclusions that the "system is broken".
They had less than 60 scholarship players available

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
No one cares about these secondary bowl games. It’s unfortunate and sad.

Reaction Score
Florida was without Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney and Trevon Grimes who are all leading receivers. I don't like the fact that players opt out but who is there to support them when they get injured. I just want to be entertained, I have no skin in the game.

I just read that D'Eriq King from Miami tore his ACL. He had already said that he was coming back but what if he was planning on declaring for the draft?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't blame players for making the decision to not play, but I still think and hope those players will be the minority.

I really dont blame them for doing it this year. Bowl games just aren't the same. No fans, no pre-game events ....plus the idea of risking covid and still working in tough covid protocol. I would think players are ready for the season to end.

Reaction Score
Players opting out is weak sheet. They should be made to play in that game or not play at all, anywhere.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma may remember that it's last two bowl games with Clemson resulted in a 6-40 blow out and 17-37 twenty point loss.

Sometimes the match up that night isn't favorable....You crow when it is on your side and develop amnesia when it went the other way.

Reaction Score
Yes they had opt-outs but this was a four loss team. Florida was not that good

Reaction Score
Oklahoma may remember that it's last two bowl games with Clemson resulted in a 6-40 blow out and 17-37 twenty point loss.

Sometimes the match up that night isn't favorable....You crow when it is on your side and develop amnesia when it went the other way.
If you are matching up with a Trevor Lawrence led Clemson it’s going to be a bad night for just about any team not named Alabama.

Reaction Score
If you are matching up with a Trevor Lawrence led Clemson it’s going to be a bad night for just about any team not named Alabama.

Ohio State should be a good match up...we'll see in a while

Reaction Score
Players opting out is weak sheet. They should be made to play in that game or not play at all, anywhere.
Agreed. Of course you can’t force players to play, but you can condition bowl acceptance on no player opt outs... the other teammates will handle it and you’ll see that disappear in a hurry.

Reaction Score
Ohio State should be a good match up...we'll see in a while
It won’t. Lawrence will make OSU’s secondary look like it’s on roller skates. They’re sub par by Buckeye Standards and lack the big time DE presence that they typically have that speeds up the decision making of opposing quarterbacks.

Reaction Score
The Clemson OC isn't with the team..quarantined...

Regarding Clemson players, Dabo isn't coming foward..

Dabo Swinney, asked about Xavier Thomas: "We're not going to say anything about anybody until game day. We'll put out an available-unavailable list just like we've done all year and leave it at that." Worth noting: Joseph Ngata is not on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
Why Ohio State matches up well with Clemson...

1...they have talent
2...they will be laser focused...they want this one.
3...their running game has been coming around

4...Woody Hayes has pulled up a chair in his front row seat in the ether...his worst day was that 1978 game with Clemson and the punch that ended his storied career. He is grumbling, "enough of this crap".

Karma has been piling up....Buckeyes are singing.

"I can feel it coming in the air tonight, (Oh lord)
Well I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, (Oh lord)"

Clemson? They have faith in Fabio.

Reaction Score

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the OP was suggesting players were opting out due to greed, just that opting out was a big reason for the blowout.

The "greed" I see is a playoff system designed to generate huge revenues by hyping a "final four" of virtually the same teams each year. That locks out all but about 8 to 10 schools and leads to a diminution in the value of and interest in not only the other bowls but, over time, the regular seasons of the "lesser" schools and leagues.

Couple that with over saturation, "full cost of attendance", NIL funds soon to be flowing in for some of the higher profile players and the ability to transfer one time without sitting out and you get the creeping professionalism that will further enrich the "haves" and speed up killing off the rest.

Reaction Score
The Buckeyes are Notre Dame with a better QB. They’ll get blown out by Clemson.

Reaction Score
Florida was without Kyle Pitts, Kadarius Toney and Trevon Grimes who are all leading receivers. I don't like the fact that players opt out but who is there to support them when they get injured. I just want to be entertained, I have no skin in the game.

I just read that D'Eriq King from Miami tore his ACL. He had already said that he was coming back but what if he was planning on declaring for the draft?
After King got hurt, Oklahoma State's big receiver opted out at halftime. We are seeing kids opt out of New Year's six bowls. This isn't a covid thing, this is going to be how it is...playoffs or bust for most kids.

Reaction Score
Kida that are heading to the NFL make a financial decision...when a bowl injury could jeapordize a milliom dollar payday...forget the rah-rah..

Reaction Score
It won’t. Lawrence will make OSU’s secondary look like it’s on roller skates. They’re sub par by Buckeye Standards and lack the big time DE presence that they typically have that speeds up the decision making of opposing quarterbacks.
I'm gonna go ahead and say Clemson looks pedestrian at best. Ohio State is having their way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom