OU Sooner's come back against DePaul falls short | The Boneyard

OU Sooner's come back against DePaul falls short

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn's next opponent -

The Sooners return 2018 Big 12 Freshman of the Year Shaina Pellington along with All-Big 12 selection Ana Llanusa from last year’s squad. Pellington averaged 13.1 points per game and ranked second nationally among Division I freshman with a .492 field goal percentage. Llanusa averaged 12.6 points per contest and hit 46 3-pointers during the 2017-18 season. Both players were also picked to the Big 12 All-Freshmen Team.

Oklahoma appeared in its 19th straight NCAA Tournament last season, a run that ranks as the fifth-longest active streak in Division I. OU is just one of nine Division I men’s or women’s basketball teams in the nation to make every NCAA Tournament since 2000. OU has played and lost to two top 25 teams to date, #21 So. Florida 87-70, and #20 DePaul 87-76. The Huskies should win this one easily, and provide lots playing time for the reserves.

Dec 9 - OU's Shaina Pellington and Taylor Robertson each scored 19 points, while Madi Williams poured in 18 but it would not be enough as Oklahoma fell to No. 20/17 DePaul, 87-76, inside Lloyd Noble Center on Sunday.

The Sooners (3-6) trailed by 23 points heading into the second half, but put together a furious comeback effort in the third quarter. OU outscored DePaul (7-3) by a 32-17 margin in the third quarter as Pellington and Robertson combined for 23 points in the frame. The Sooners posted a .765 (13-of-17) field goal percentage in the third quarter, its best shooting percentage in a quarter in program history.

[Article]

OU Roster

[Player Stats]

The Sooners return to action on Dec. 19 and close out their home non-conference slate against No. 1/1 UConn. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. cst.

1544709407730.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I believe Ana Llanusa is still out after a foot surgery in November.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not trying to hijack your thread but...
Currently in my DirecTV guide for December 19 at 8:30PM ET, is To Be Announced instead of the UConn @ OU game. It was on the schedule before today because I had it on my schedule to be recorded. Kinda interesting but not unusual for DirecTV.
The other concern is that there is a MBB game scheduled right before our game and I think the odds of a men's basketball game being played in less than 2 hours are remote.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Saw OU when they played South Florida in Tampa.

Scrappy team that will play you physical. Young team, not a lot of height. Not a lot of team speed. Definitely can be run on. 3 point shooting is not that good, rebounding is ok.

Unless UConn is sleeping, not going to be a plesant day on the court for OU.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not trying to hijack your thread but...
Currently in my DirecTV guide for December 19 at 8:30PM ET, is To Be Announced instead of the UConn @ OU game. It was on the schedule before today because I had it on my schedule to be recorded. Kinda interesting but not unusual for DirecTV.
The other concern is that there is a MBB game scheduled right before our game and I think the odds of a men's basketball game being played in less than 2 hours are remote.

Wednesday, December 19th TV listings for Fox Sports 1

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Of course...I just checked again and the game is listed, but I did have to schedule it for recording again.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
3-6?! Last year they barely got into the Tourney, looks like a real long shot this season. Not only 5 losses in a row, but several of those are bad losses I would say.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I noted this on another thread but Sherri Coale's recent track record is in a spiral down. OU probably should not have made last year's tournament at 16-15 and this year looks like a complete rebuild. Add in her $1MM a year contract until 2022 and their is a recipe ripe for disaster. I think the flower has lost it's bloom.

She did lose Nancy Mulkey to transfer 18 months ago to Rice (BTW, why hasn't Mulkey played any games yet?) and I am not sure she has attracted any top recruits since. She's been eclipsed in the Big12 by Texas, Iowa State, WV and now Ok State (she was always behind Baylor). I know Geno's good friends with her but she needs to re-up her coaching/recruiting especially given that salary.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I noted this on another thread but Sherri Coale's recent track record is in a spiral down. OU probably should not have made last year's tournament at 16-15 and this year looks like a complete rebuild. Add in her $1MM a year contract until 2022 and their is a recipe ripe for disaster. I think the flower has lost it's bloom.

She did lose Nancy Mulkey to transfer 18 months ago to Rice (BTW, why hasn't Mulkey played any games yet?) and I am not sure she has attracted any top recruits since. She's been eclipsed in the Big12 by Texas, Iowa State, WV and now Ok State (she was always behind Baylor). I know Geno's good friends with her but she needs to re-up her coaching/recruiting especially given that salary.

She isn't eligible to play until next year. Rice has some top 100 recruits and an Ogwumike or two along with Mulkey next year, so I expect them to be very good.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She did lose Nancy Mulkey to transfer 18 months ago to Rice

I think losing Chelsea Dungee as a transfer to Arkansas was a bigger blow. Dungee currently leading the Razorbacks w/ 17.1 points per game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She isn't eligible to play until next year. Rice has some top 100 recruits and an Ogwumike or two along with Mulkey next year, so I expect them to be very good.

I coulda sworn she transferred at the end of the '16-'17 season.

edited--yep, I see a couple articles from May and June of 2017 announcing the transfer. She should be eligible now.

Reaction Score
Actually she sat out last year and is eligible this year. I think she had her arm in a cast don't know what exactly, but she is eligible to play this year.

Reaction Score
I think losing Chelsea Dungee as a transfer to Arkansas was a bigger blow. Dungee currently leading the Razorbacks w/ 17.1 points per game.
The biggest blow in my opinion is losing Pierre-Louise to graduation. She was a dominant inside presence for them. They have no height right now that is receiving minutes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The biggest blow in my opinion is losing Pierre-Louise to graduation. She was a dominant inside presence for them. They have no height right now that is receiving minutes.

Okay, well everybody loses Sr. to graduation, you can't do anything about that. Losing Manning, Little and Ortiz hurt too. Losing potentially impact players w/ eligibility remaining is something you don't necessarily plan for.

Reaction Score
Okay, well everybody loses Sr. to graduation, you can't do anything about that. Losing Manning, Little and Ortiz hurt too. Losing potentially impact players w/ eligibility remaining is something you don't necessarily plan for.
Oh for sure I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that they have no post players that play and have a pleasant lethra of guards.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I believe Madison Williams was highly ranked by some services. Wasn’t she an McDonald’s All-American? I may be mistaken.

Also, Ana Llanusa, who is injured, was once one of the top players in her class...not sure what happened as her high school career ended but she was still considered talented.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Upon further research, she was a McD AA and led her team (east) in scoring with 13 pts and was second in rebounds with 7.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rice is my younger son's alma mater, so I follow them a little. They are 6-2 currently. The losses were at the beginning of the season, by 11 at TAMU and by 9 at UCLA. They play UNC next week.

Both Ogwumikes are on the roster. Erica (5'9" junior guard) is averaging 19.6 ppg and 10.6 rpg for the 8 games. Olivia (5'11" forward) is averaging 5.0 and 1.5 in 2 games. As I recall, the youngest sister was reportedly the most intense of the four girls. They transferred from Pepperdine to Rice, so they are very close to home and at a school that is close academically to Stanford (my daughter-in-law has degrees from both schools). Interestingly, the sisters wear #30 and #13, as a tribute to their older sisters.

Nancy Mulkey is a redshirt sophomore. See if you can find the O sisters and Mulkey.

20180822_Rice_Women_s_Basketball_Team_1.jpg

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rice is my younger son's alma mater, so I follow them a little. They are 6-2 currently. The losses were at the beginning of the season, by 11 at TAMU and by 9 at UCLA. They play UNC next week.

Both Ogwumikes are on the roster. Erica (5'9" junior guard) is averaging 19.6 ppg and 10.6 rpg for the 8 games. Olivia (5'11" forward) is averaging 5.0 and 1.5 in 2 games. As I recall, the youngest sister was reportedly the most intense of the four girls. They transferred from Pepperdine to Rice, so they are very close to home and at a school that is close academically to Stanford (my daughter-in-law has degrees from both schools). Interestingly, the sisters wear #30 and #13, as a tribute to their older sisters.

Nancy Mulkey is a redshirt sophomore. See if you can find the O sisters and Mulkey.

20180822_Rice_Women_s_Basketball_Team_1.jpg
Lol. I think I can find the O sisters considering you told me "the sisters wear #30 and #13".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, Mulkey is easy to spot. IIRC she was rail thin as a Fr. Looks like she's added a bit of size from that photo during her RS year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, Mulkey is easy to spot. IIRC she was rail thin as a Fr. Looks like she's added a bit of size from that photo during her RS year.
She's "only" 6'9", but she looks 7'5" in that photo!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Additional note: Erica graduated 1st of 796 students in her high school class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom