OU May Stay In Big 12, Outlines Demands | The Boneyard

OU May Stay In Big 12, Outlines Demands

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
... and I want a helicopter to the airport, along with 30 million in unmarked bills or the conference gets it!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
OU has thrown the gauntlet. Now we will see how Texas responds. Not good news for the BE however if Texas makes concessions.

Reaction Score
BAHAHA I had to double check to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion. The WWE Creative Team couldn't script this stuff.

Reaction Score
We should probably be rooting for the Big 12 to break up otherwise everything else may come to a screeching halt.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Potential nightmare scenario. Big XII has nothing to do with Big East.

Next question for Big East football schools -- do you leave the Catholics to go back up to 8 or do you just replace Syracuse and Pitt with UCF and someone else and go back to where you were? And would the Catholics go for that? Remember -- we have two and a half years to come up with the replacements.

I will say this -- if our President isn't going tonight, she better either know where we're going already or have a prior commitment of substantial importance. Because with this story things just got a lot more complicated.

Reaction Score
an interesting part of this is that chip brown has been eerily silent over the last couple of days, with respect to any kind of real information. pretty good sign the UT administration doesn't want anything getting out right now.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We should probably be rooting for the Big 12 to break up otherwise everything else may come to a screeching halt.

well, if they stay together, things can get ugly for us. Our safety net, the merger, may be gone

If they have 9 but need 12, they may go after TCU, Louisville, WVU & Cinci. In that scenario, B12 expanding, we may be the least attractive candidate for geographic reasons and the fact that we're courting the ACC

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
This is getting insane I just want it to end withUConn finding a home in the ACC

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Now Mizzou could skip the SEC and they come to WV for 14th team. TAM is going SEC.

Reaction Score
... and I want a helicopter to the airport, along with 30 million in unmarked bills or the conference gets it!

That's a funny line, but here is UT's issue -- if they go to the Pac Ten, they won't have Beebe, they will have to make concessions on the LHN anyway and they will have less of a role driving the bus than they do now, as the driver with one passenger making demands every so often.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So.... no BE/B12 merger of the leftovers. What then?

Reaction Score
All posturing. Why? Because the Pac10 blinked and may not have grabbed Oklahoma and Oklahoma St, assuming Texas would have to come along eventually. They thought the ACC had moved on, so the Pac10 went hardline. Now Oklahoma says, "You're waffling? OK, let's talk more to the Big12 people."

Pac10 may be fine with it but it's a hell of a gamble. Pac10s play is to invite both Okies and blow up the Big12, forcing Texas's hand. Just more gamesmanship.

My only question is, how tied is Texas really to Tech? If they're tied, then Pac10 has a lot of leverage as the only conference that will accept Tech. If not, Pac10 is gambling it all away and Texas will go elsewhere. If I had to guess, the ACC is waiting on the Texas situation, and as soon as it's done, Uconn will have its bid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Now Mizzou could skip the SEC and they come to WV for 14th team. TAM is going SEC.

Missouri is going to the SEC too. There is a liability dance going on here of whose fault it will be when the whole thing collapses.

Reaction Score
So.... no BE/B12 merger of the leftovers. What then?

What then is we have two and a half years to replace Pitt and Syracuse in the Big East with any one or two (two or three if TCU goes Big XII) of Temple, UMass, Houston, UCF, ECU or Memphis. And if we don't keep TCU and WVU in the fold, BCS bid may be gone. And, we have to decide if we want to do this with the Catholics or on our own. And, if we want to do it with them, confirm they still want to do it with us.

Ugh.

Reaction Score
What then is we have two and a half years to replace Pitt and Syracuse in the Big East with any one or two (two or three if TCU goes Big XII) of Temple, UMass, Houston, UCF, ECU or Memphis. And if we don't keep TCU and WVU in the fold, BCS bid may be gone. And, we have to decide if we want to do this with the Catholics or on our own. And, if we want to do it with them, confirm they still want to do it with us.

Ugh.

This is pretty much the disaster scenario.

I just want this to end and end well for the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
For the past couple of days, my gut has been telling me the UT/OK PAC-12 deal wasn't going to go down. That nagging feeling is getting stronger.

As I said in an earlier post, this is where holding Cuse and Pitt to the 27 months becomes crucial. If there are no superconferences, then there is no good reason for the ACC to be at 14. If the college landscape stabilizes over the next few months, whose to say that cooler heads can't prevail and Cuse and Pitt can come back to the fold, - the BE football schools split with BB, and they add a couple of schools (Houston, UCF) to stabilize.

Reaction Score
For the past couple of days, my gut has been telling me the UT/OK PAC-12 deal wasn't going to go down. That nagging feeling is getting stronger.

As I said in an earlier post, this is where holding Cuse and Pitt to the 27 months becomes crucial. If there are no superconferences, then there is no good reason for the ACC to be at 14. If the college landscape stabilizes over the next few months, whose to say that cooler heads can't prevail and Cuse and Pitt can come back to the fold, - the BE football schools split with BB, and they add a couple of schools (Houston, UCF) to stabilize.

That won't happen. But the fact that we have Pitt and Cuse for the 11, 12 and 13 football seasons is a good thing (and should make those who scoffed at our exit rules reconsider)

Reaction Score

Because the ACC is a better conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the Big East is left sorting through UMass, Temple, Memphis and East Carolina... the Catholics won't even want to stick around for that. They could put together a better league in 5 phone calls.

Reaction Score
While I agree that this is the nightmare scenario, I'm not sure that Oklahoma's demands mean much other than to cover their tracks, so to speak. If they go they can say, hey we tried but those other guys wouldn't give...sort of sounds like when Miami was leaving the Big East. Not sure that I wouldn't take a run at the B-12 schools at this point though. heck, maybe they are tired of the drama on their end.

Reaction Score
If the Big East is left sorting through UMass, Temple, Memphis and East Carolina... the Catholics won't even want to stick around for that. They could put together a better league in 5 phone calls.

My view is that if UConn is staying, the Catholics will talk. Even if you assume there is no loyalty, if you're going to have a basketball conference you can't afford not to be talking to what is one of the three dominant programs of the last decade, especially one in your backyard. If they think (or know) UCOnn is gone as well, then I fully agree with you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My view is that if UConn is staying, the Catholics will talk. Even if you assume there is no loyalty, if you're going to have a basketball conference you can't afford not to be talking to what is one of the three dominant programs of the last decade, especially one in your backyard. If they think (or know) UCOnn is gone as well, then I fully agree with you.

If we don't end up with 4 16-team conferences now, they are going to know that UConn is going to spend every waking second trying to get out of that league. So unless UConn is completely locked out of the ACC and Big 10 permanently, I can't imagine they could put much stock in UConn being in the league. At some point they are going to really start to suffer if they don't have some stability.

The 7 Catholics plus Butler, Dayton, Xavier, St. Joe's or whatever combination of teams you want to come up with, can stay competitive because they will be able to sell to basketball players that they can be the BMOC, and won't have to compete with the football team on campus.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma's demands are not outrageous. I've said all along that Texas would be big hypocrites if they give in on their Longhorn Network to join another conference since that is what is basically destroying the Big Twelve. The notion that they would give that up to join hands with schools they currently have no relationships with, is a real slap in the face to their current partners. Texas is finding out that other leagues are not going to allow them to come in and have major advantages in TV revenue over their current schools.

OU is a major player, they should have probably laid down terms earlier. I would not be shocked if Texas decides they better give up some though from their network to the current Big Twelve teams, since it would allow them to keep more than any other conference would. Of course UT could still go independent and pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom