OTish: Less crowded Hartford bar on Game Day | The Boneyard

OTish: Less crowded Hartford bar on Game Day

Reaction Score
Want to hang out with some friends before the Arizona game on Sunday, but prefer not to go somewhere like Tavern that will be totally insane. I assume since it's a sell-out virtually all bars will be packed (for instance I've seen Salute be crazy before a game), are there any bars that are maybe a bit farther that would be a safer bet to be less insane and I could hear myself and my friends talk?

I don't mind walking further (I am used to city living in that sense), but will be coming in on the train so downtown-ish.

Reaction Score
Since you will be getting off at Union Station go to Chango Rosa, which is right there. Try the black almond margarita.

Reaction Score
The Press recently opened up where Black Bear used to be and is right across from the train station - could be an option still in easy walking distance to XL.

Reaction Score
L Bar in the Marriott next to the Science Center. Long walk from the train station though. It's usually dead in there during the day. Call first to make sure they're open.

Reaction Score
Gonna try Bears. Quick to grab food and the bar usually is not crowded. Farther walk from Union through.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The Press recently opened up where Black Bear used to be and is right across from the train station - could be an option still in easy walking distance to XL.
Black Bear closed?!?!? Geezsus! Have a kid and lose all touch with the Hartford bar scene.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If I go I will go to City Steam.

Reaction Score
The key is knowing when they all open. Assuming 11am for most?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm going to the Half-Door for brunch and the Merseyside Derby before the game. Great corned beef hash, 1.5 miles from the train station.

Reaction Score
Pig's Eye is my go to spot. A dive bar of sorts (in the non sticky, nice but cheap drinks type) right above Black Eyed Sally's. It's never packed with a big bar, late 19th century brick and wood interior, free darts, pool tables, and an outdoor deck a block from XL

Reaction Score
Black Bear closed?!?!? Geezsus! Have a kid and lose all touch with the Hartford bar scene.

Same here - I had no idea until like months after i closed.

Anyone know a good place where I can take the family before/after the game where me and the wife can grab a beer and we can snag the kids a quick bite without feeling like delinquents?

Reaction Score
Same here - I had no idea until like months after i closed.

Anyone know a good place where I can take the family before/after the game where me and the wife can grab a beer and we can snag the kids a quick bite without feeling like delinquents?
City Steam would work well for that. They almost always have tables, good beer/food, and family friendly.

Reaction Score
Pig's Eye is my go to spot. A dive bar of sorts (in the non sticky, nice but cheap drinks type) right above Black Eyed Sally's. It's never packed with a big bar, late 19th century brick and wood interior, free darts, pool tables, and an outdoor deck a block from XL
Agree with this statement. Site says they open at 4pm, any idea what time they open before a game?

Reaction Score
City Steam would work well for that. They almost always have tables, good beer/food, and family friendly.

I feel like City Steam is always crazy before a game but if you get there early enough a table should be doable.

Reaction Score
Do Hartford bars even get packed when there isnt an XL Event going on? Serious question

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
sleeve of 10 Cuervo silver nips - $9.99
comfortable parking spot - $10
not having to deal with you dopes in overpriced, crowded Hartford bars - Priceless

"There are some things in life money can't buy. For everything else, there's ADubsCar™."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Want to hang out with some friends before the Arizona game on Sunday, but prefer not to go somewhere like Tavern that will be totally insane. I assume since it's a sell-out virtually all bars will be packed (for instance I've seen Salute be crazy before a game), are there any bars that are maybe a bit farther that would be a safer bet to be less insane and I could hear myself and my friends talk?

I don't mind walking further (I am used to city living in that sense), but will be coming in on the train so downtown-ish.

Always seems like there's plenty of room at the XL Center...

Reaction Score
sleeve of 10 Cuervo silver nips - $9.99
comfortable parking spot - $10
not having to deal with you dopes in overpriced, crowded Hartford bars - Priceless

"There are some things in life money can't buy. For everything else, there's ADubsCar™."
Don't forget your daughter so she can DD.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom