Other top team(s) seem to think that UConn has an easy road thru the AAC tourney | The Boneyard

Other top team(s) seem to think that UConn has an easy road thru the AAC tourney

Reaction Score
Well to be fair, you guys are undefeated this conference season and have never lost a game in the entire time you’ve been in this conference so for others to think you have an easy road would be a fair assumption.

We have tried
Just about every avenue to get out of this conference to no avail. You know what what they say when you assume something. What would you do if you were in are shoes? Maybe we are just that good!
.uConn won a lot of games when we played in the old Big East too. They all left and that is who is in the ACC now. We won against them too. They didn’t have to leave so stop whining.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's true we play in a weak conference and would have a tougher time winning the conference tourney in a P5, but so what? This season it's the difference between a 4th No. 1 seed or a 1st No. 2 seed in the NCAAs. Is that a distinction with a difference? Heck, no.

Those same folks will whine when the brackets are announced that we have the easiest region, no matter what it is. We used to lay waste in the old Big East tourney. Who's to say we wouldn't have done the same in a P5? We certainly would have when Stewie was here during her four years.

I'd argue we're less prepared for the Sweet 16 through the Final Four because our conference is full of cupcakes. It's a disadvantage, not an advantage.

Reaction Score
It is just fact that teams in P5 conferences have a much tougher road. Not really up for speculation and debate. It is just fact that UConn has an easier road to win their conference than Notre Dame or Oregon.

I’m not debating the fact that UConn has an easier road what I’m saying is we didn’t choose the road it was chosen by others for us.

Reaction Score
Coach has said fifty times; he wishes all his games could be against top 20 schools. He will never be disrespectful to the AAC conference, but he relishes games against ND, Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina, Louisville, Mississippi St, etc. UCONN fans are all hoping the rising tide of great women's BB players will, eventually, lift the competitiveness of the AAC. They are fine schools and have the resources to do so. But it is taking forever. It must be really hard, mentally and emotionally, to go from playing ND with 15,000 watching in person, to a trip to SMU where there are maybe 300 player-relatives and friends in the stands ( although UCONN does draw a lot of interest everywhere, as people want to see good players ).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Really, why would it even matter to them? It's not like we need to win the ACC to get into the NCAA and SOS and RPI speak for themselves.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
While they have a tough road thru their tourney.. like we are thrilled to be in a G5. Care to change places? No! Then stop your whining. You know who you are.
Who are these whiners, inquiring minds want names and/or facts.

Reaction Score
I would only mind if the teams saying this were Maryland, Duke, or any other team that stopped playing UConn because UConn kept beating them. UConn plays tough teams in their out of conference schedule to make up for a lackluster conference. Teams like Notre Dame and Louisville have a reason to complain given they regularly play UConn wherever it is asked of them. I have to give teams like that credit for not falling into the “name-on-the-jersey” fear.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
P5? More like the P1.5 as ever since the BigEast dissolved as we knew it, UConn would have been Undefeated in the BIG10 all 4 years.
The SEC would have been a probable undefeated aspect as SC Won that each of the last 4 years (MSU notwithstanding in their Morgan William shot).
The Big12, would always have had Baylor so it would have been a Big2 with each team winning at home.
The PAC12, likewise, up until this year, did not offer any real teams other than Stanford as Oregon has taken time to become the power. I have confidence that Stewie and Co last year would have run the table as would Gabby, Kia, KLS and Pheesa those next two years. This year would have been more hotly contested with Oregon and Stanford. Sorry OSU, but not convinced UConn would struggle with you...yet. T
hat leaves the ACC and ND. We have been playing ND every year so we know those results from the in-season matchup. That leaves only Louisville this year. The ACC has really been the Big2 these last 4 years so it would have only been Louisville and ND.

So from a P5 perspective, the last four years would have been the ACC (with ND/Lou) and maybe the Big12 with Baylor.

This year, Oregon and Stanford would be added. So it's not like you can rattle off a list of 10-12 teams. We can name 4/5 and only for this year. But hey, if the other teams have to say that to themselves to sleep better at night, go ahead and count your rings but be ready to nod off as you count to 0, 1 or 2 as no one can go higher (unless your Tenn but UConn brings you nightmares and agita) :cool:

Reaction Score
UConn had a very close game with MD a few years ago, twice I believe. Brionna Jones gave Stewie all she could handle and them some. Slocum did the same a year later. Not convinced on a bad day UConn wouldn’t lose to them. Obviously Mississippi State teams have been more than capable of beating UConn and I think South Carolina could have too.

Reaction Score
I would only mind if the teams saying this were Maryland, Duke, or any other team that stopped playing UConn because UConn kept beating them. UConn plays tough teams in their out of conference schedule to make up for a lackluster conference. Teams like Notre Dame and Louisville have a reason to complain given they regularly play UConn wherever it is asked of them. I have to give teams like that credit for not falling into the “name-on-the-jersey” fear.

One of the two teams mentioned have the most complaining fans. Guess who?

Reaction Score
UConn had a very close game with MD a few years ago, twice I believe. Brionna Jones gave Stewie all she could handle and them some. Slocum did the same a year later. Not convinced on a bad day UConn wouldn’t lose to them. Obviously Mississippi State teams have been more than capable of beating UConn and I think South Carolina could have too.

I was with you right up to the south carolina part. Haven't seen the team from that state that could have beat UConn.

Reaction Score
I was just telling a buddy of mine the other day that I would love to see Miss. State set up a women’s basketball game with UConn and the UConn baseball team on the same weekend. That would make a nice trip for your fans to come to Starkville and see a couple of your teams play at the same time. It would have to be late in the season for basketball since baseball doesn’t get started until mid February, but I think that would make for a fun weekend.

Reaction Score
Really, why would it even matter to them? It's not like we need to win the ACC to get into the NCAA and SOS and RPI speak for themselves.
It matters because the p[layers want to play in highly competitive games, against the best basketball players of their classes. Katy would love to play against Ionescu, I am sure. You saw how elevated the team's play could be in the early game against ND. The players, despite Geno's strategic coaching, have trouble summoning their best play when the other team just isn't any good at all.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I was just telling a buddy of mine the other day that I would love to see Miss. State set up a women’s basketball game with UConn and the UConn baseball team on the same weekend. That would make a nice trip for your fans to come to Starkville and see a couple of your teams play at the same time. It would have to be late in the season for basketball since baseball doesn’t get started until mid February, but I think that would make for a fun weekend.

That would be awesome. Then to return the favor, I would love for our football team to play at UCONN in September/early October. We had a great time in BOS when we played UMASS a couple of years ago. That would be a great trip for our fans as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It matters because the p[layers want to play in highly competitive games, against the best basketball players of their classes. Katy would love to play against Ionescu, I am sure. You saw how elevated the team's play could be in the early game against ND. The players, despite Geno's strategic coaching, have trouble summoning their best play when the other team just isn't any good at all.
No one plays top 20 games for their entire schedule. UConn is ranked 6th in RPI this season. Somehow I don't think they are being short changed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well to be fair, you guys are undefeated this conference season and have never lost a game in the entire time you’ve been in this conference so for others to think you have an easy road would be a fair assumption.

Please research what happened to the best basketball conference ever - The Big East. Not today's Big East. UConn had no choice. In fact, the AAC is the old BE minus the Catholic schools who left and bought the name "The Big East."

Reaction Score
Please research what happened to the best basketball conference ever - The Big East. Not today's Big East. UConn had no choice. In fact, the AAC is the old BE minus the Catholic schools who left and bought the name "The Big East."

What’s to research? I never said UCONN had a choice in their conference. It’s a fact that a team who has never lose a game in their conference should have an easier road than teams who play in a tougher conference.

Reaction Score
It is just fact that teams in P5 conferences have a much tougher road. Not really up for speculation and debate. It is just fact that UConn has an easier road to win their conference than Notre Dame or Oregon.
What’s to research? I never said UCONN had a choice in their conference. It’s a fact that a team who has never lose a game in their conference should have an easier road than teams who play in a tougher conference.

Ok so what would you like UConn to do?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Granted some of the top schools will face a tougher challenge in their conference final (ACC, PAC12) , but most won't. So if they say they have a tougher road to win, the tough part is very short, 1 game. I guess they need to make themselves seem more worthy than they really are.

Reaction Score
I think it's clear that this year's team has had the easiest time getting through the season. What hasn't been pointed out is that despite the relatively weaker (there are still solid teams in the AAC) conference schedule, Connecticut has always loaded up its schedule with top non-conference foes. This year, however, was probably the weakest non-conference schedule in memory. But that's not exactly due to planning: Oklahoma picked this season to be really bad. Cal also decided not to be nearly as competitive this year. We did play Notre Dame (and win), Louisville, DePaul (back in the Top 25), and South Carolina, and Baylor. Lost two of those non-conference games, a huge change from the past. Habitually, we've played a third of all our games against nationally ranked teams- between 10-12 a year.

But Connecticut has always beefed up its schedule with a killer (for almost every other team in WCBB) non-conference schedule in the past, leading the NCAA to credit us with a high SOS ranking.

Only this year have we gone through a relatively weak schedule.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
No one wants UConn in their conference untill UConn has a "down" year and then they complain about how weak their conference is. . I didn't hear many folks from the old Big East too sad to see them move along after Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah's freshman year.

I'm sure the American would be more than welcoming to the likes of Baylor, Notre Dame, Louisville, etc., if they want to come on over. I just hope their fan bases aren't too attached to having a successful football program...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom