Other games on opening week (through Mon., Nov. 11) | The Boneyard

Other games on opening week (through Mon., Nov. 11)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Frankly I'm disappointed in the lack of marquee matchups in opening week. Only one game between AP top 25 teams (Maryland-SC on Sunday).

A couple of interesting AAC scores from early games today (Wednesday):
  • After a slow start, UCF ran away from Pitt, 74-58. Kay Kay Wright didn't start but had 16 points off the bench.
  • MTSU got a close win on the road at ECU. Rellah Boothe did not play.
Not gonna list games likely to be blowouts, just those that seem intriguing:

Wed., Nov. 6
George Washington at Villanova (7p ET). Can Rizzotti's team show some improvement from last year?
Green Bay at Central Michigan (7p, ESPN+). Clash of mid-major powers.

Fri., Nov. 8
Miami (Ohio) at #21 DePaul (5:30p). First-round WNIT game.
#15 Texas at South Florida (7p). Important resume game for USF.
Cal at Harvard (7p, ESPN+). A chance to scout UConn's first opponent.
South Dakota State at Drake (7p, ESPN3). Another clash of mid-major powers.

Sat., Nov. 9
#12 Florida State at LSU
(2p, SECN+). Big game for both teams, but especially LSU.
South Dakota at Green Bay (2p, ESPN3). Interesting how the top mid-major programs make a point of scheduling each other.

Sun., Nov. 10
George Washington at Princeton (12p, ESPN+). Rizzotti vs. Berube. Can watch first half to warm up for Cal-UConn at 1p.
#8 South Carolina at #4 Maryland (3p, ESPN). The lone top-10 matchup until the Thanksgiving tourneys.
Iowa State at Drake (3p, ESPN+). The annual battle of the Iowa schools begins.
Duke at #6 Texas A&M (3p, SECN+). Litmus test for both teams.

Mon., Nov. 11
Tennessee at #16 Notre Dame
(7p, ESPN2). I don't care if they lost everyone. If ND loses this game they truly suck.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Frankly I'm disappointed in the lack of marquee matchups in opening week. Only one game between AP top 25 teams (Maryland-SC on Sunday).

• After a slow start, UCF ran away from Pitt, 74-58. Kay Kay Wright didn't start but had 16 points off the bench.

Wed., Nov. 6
George Washington at Villanova (7p ET). Can Rizzotti's team show some improvement from last year?
Green Bay at Central Michigan (7p). Clash of mid-major powers.

Fri., Nov. 8
Miami (Ohio) at #21 DePaul (5:30p). First-round WNIT game.
#15 Texas at South Florida (7p). Important resume game for USF.
Cal at Harvard (7p, ESPN+). A chance to scout UConn's first opponent.
South Dakota State at Drake (7p, ESPN3). Another clash of mid-major powers.

Sat., Nov. 9
#12 Florida State at LSU
(2p, SECN+). Big game for both teams, but especially LSU.
South Dakota at Green Bay (2p, ESPN3). Interesting how the top mid-major programs make a point of scheduling each other.

Sun., Nov. 10
George Washington at Princeton (12p, ESPN+). Rizzotti vs. Berube. Can watch first half to warm up for Cal-UConn at 1p.
#8 South Carolina at #4 Maryland (3p, ESPN). The lone top-10 matchup until the Thanksgiving tourneys.
Iowa State at Drake (3p, ESPN+). The annual battle of the Iowa schools begins.
Duke at #6 Texas A&M (3p, SECN+). Litmus test for both teams.

Mon., Nov. 11
Tennessee at #16 Notre Dame
(7p, ESPN2). I don't care if they lost everyone. If ND loses this game they truly suck.

I keep flip-flopping on the ND v Tenn game. Before the preseason I thought Tenn would likely win. Then I watched Tenn play it’s exhibition game an I said nah, ND will win. Then I watched a little bit of both teams last night and now I’m leaning Tenn again. Tenn’s length and rebounding will likely give ND trouble especially if Vaughn is unable to play.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I keep flip-flopping on the ND v Tenn game. Before the preseason I thought Tenn would likely win. Then I watched Tenn play it’s exhibition game an I said nah, ND will win. Then I watched a little bit of both teams last night and now I’m leaning Tenn again. Tenn’s length and rebounding will likely give ND trouble especially if Vaughn is unable to play.
At this point I'd say it's a crapshoot. Tennessee very well could overwhelm them with size and rebounding, but ND would still have to look really bad to lose.

Reaction Score
I’m excited about the FSU game. Hopefully we shoot the game of our lives like we did last year in Tallahassee. FSU will be telling early for us where we really are at. Both teams return essentially everyone

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At this point I'd say it's a crapshoot. Tennessee very well could overwhelm them with size and rebounding, but ND would still have to look really bad to lose.

"crapshoot" Freudian Slip? ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Wed., Nov. 6

Green Bay at Central Michigan (7p). Clash of mid-major powers.

No offense Plebe, but MY Lady Aggies ain't going to Raleigh to get blown out... No Sir
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

I could be wrong though :oops:

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Two of the State players who tore their ACL's last year have already seen action early in the 2nd quarter. Grace Hunter hit her first shot.... a 3 pointer... and followed it up with a block. Erika Cassell has also played. State has three freshman on the floor at the moment.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Ouchhhh. That's gotta hurt. Cunane got really clocked.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Barn burner in Mount Pleasant.

Green Bay and Central Michigan are in 2OT, GB leading 104-102 with 1:45 to play. Showing on ESPN+

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I'd be very surprised if Vaughn plays on Monday. Given that she was able to walk ok and even try playing again it doesn't seem too major, but I'm guessing she's out a couple weeks. MRI was to take place tonight.

If Vaughn, is out Tennessee has to be the favorite. Cosgrove looks to be in much better shape than last year but she has a ways to go to be a good P5 player. ND went with Brunelle and 4 guards in crunch time against Fordham but that doesn't seem sustainable long term or a good use of Brunelle.

I expect Tennessee to win, maybe by a comfortable margin.

Besides the Vaughn and Prohaska injuries cutting down an already depleted roster, ND's other problem is that this group doesn't know ND's Princeton-ish offense very well and certainly doesn't execute it well. TN's athletes should cause many turnovers and capitalize on them much better than Fordham did.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I hope it happens to thier football team on Saturday also.
You mean against LSU? LSU is a very good team. At least that wouldn't be an embarrassing loss, like the Alabama WBB team losing to Hampton ... or the Tennessee WBB team losing to Alabama five times in a row.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You mean against LSU? LSU is a very good team. At least that wouldn't be an embarrassing loss, like the Alabama WBB team losing to Hampton ... or the Tennessee WBB team losing to Alabama five times in a row.
I just meant that LSU wins. Yes LSU is a really good team. I just hope they win.

Reaction Score
MTSU squeaks past ECU 68-66. Annie just missed a triple double, but had an awful shooting night.

Not the team they were expected to be without Willock and Boothe.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ha I was gonna ask what you would call 80-44 if it's not a blowout.

I was hoping to see a meme of a forlorn Aggie.

bulldawg.jpg

I certainly didnt expect that result.

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if Vaughn plays on Monday. Given that she was able to walk ok and even try playing again it doesn't seem too major, but I'm guessing she's out a couple weeks. MRI was to take place tonight.

If Vaughn, is out Tennessee has to be the favorite. Cosgrove looks to be in much better shape than last year but she has a ways to go to be a good P5 player. ND went with Brunelle and 4 guards in crunch time against Fordham but that doesn't seem sustainable long term or a good use of Brunelle.

I expect Tennessee to win, maybe by a comfortable margin.

Besides the Vaughn and Prohaska injuries cutting down an already depleted roster, ND's other problem is that this group doesn't know ND's Princeton-ish offense very well and certainly doesn't execute it well. TN's athletes should cause many turnovers and capitalize on them much better than Fordham did.
I hope Vaughn is okay. That second quarter looked really good for ND. I thought Vaughn looked mature with her high post passing. Cosgrove and Brunelle tried replicating that in the second half, but the passes were more obvious.

It did seem like they tried running the same thing over and over, but Muffett will add in more offense as the season goes on. It seems like they were really going into their guards and having them finished in the paint. Hoping for the best for Mik and Abby.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I hope Vaughn is okay. That second quarter looked really good for ND. I thought Vaughn looked mature with her high post passing. Cosgrove and Brunelle tried replicating that in the second half, but the passes were more obvious.

It did seem like they tried running the same thing over and over, but Muffett will add in more offense as the season goes on. It seems like they were really going into their guards and having them finished in the paint. Hoping for the best for Mik and Abby.
It's so weird to say it given that Notre Dame is coming off a national championship two years ago and a really close loss last year in the national championship game, but Marta Sniezek has traded down in grad-transferring to the Domers this season. She played almost every minute against Fordham, and I feel like at Stanford she would be literally the 9th or 10th best option on this year's team. So odd how recruiting patterns, graduation patterns, injuries, etc., can lead to such feasts and famines. Tara relied so much on Marta during our lean roster years while Muffett was starting 5 All-Americans, and now it's practically the reverse.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee vs Central Arkansas tonight.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Honestly wish it was another Big South team that got that buzzer beater..... I still harbor grudges against Hampton. Anyway... I saw on twitter that that was the Coach's 12th win versus a Power 5 school...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom