OT: YouTube Red | The Boneyard

OT: YouTube Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not up on this stuff, and I know some of you guys are. What's up with the $9.95/month fee for ad free viewing?

What caught my attention is ESPN is pulling their vids and I guess others will follow: linky

I have a youtube adblocker is that the same thing or will something change?

Anyone know how's this going to work, and are any of you guys going to pay for ad-free vids?

Reaction Score
Yes, blocking ads is exactly the same as paying $10 a month so that the creators are compensated in some way.

Oh, you mean the experience of it? No idea.

Reaction Score
Yes, blocking ads is exactly the same as paying $10 a month so that the creators are compensated in some way.

Oh, you mean the experience of it? No idea.
Not about to pay, for what I now get for free.

Reaction Score
Not about to pay, for what I now get for free.
This Red service is not only ad-free streaming, it's also unlimited music streaming.

If I have to watch ads, it's not really "free" to me. I find most ads of any kind irritating and intrusive. If I was a heavy YouTube user, paying 120 bucks a year to get rid of all ads and provide unlimited streaming music would seem like a good deal to me. But I'm not a heavy user, so I'll just endure the ads.

ESPN is begging out because they have to due to pre-existing contracts - nothing to do with not liking it or anything like that.

Reaction Score
This Red service is not only ad-free streaming, it's also unlimited music streaming.

If I have to watch ads, it's not really "free" to me. I find most ads of any kind irritating and intrusive. If I was a heavy YouTube user, paying 120 bucks a year to get rid of all ads and provide unlimited streaming music would seem like a good deal to me. But I'm not a heavy user, so I'll just endure the ads.

ESPN is begging out because they have to due to pre-existing contracts - nothing to do with not liking it or anything like that.
Quite often I click a music vid and its muted. A copyright restriction message appears. The artist will say they had to move their music to soundclond or similar site.

Will the restrictions be lifted in red?

Or are you referring to a different type of streaming music?

Reaction Score
Videos that infringe on copyright would continue to get blocked if the creator wants them to be blocked, even if you are paying. You need to find the creator's official video if one exists.

Reaction Score
Videos that infringe on copyright would continue to get blocked if the creator wants them to be blocked . . .
Just for clarity - who the creator is is irrelevant - what matters is who has the rights to the music, which, of course, can be the creator.

Reaction Score
Yeah, "rights holder" is more accurate than creator, especially when it comes to major music industry stuff. I tend to use Youtube to watch the channels of individuals and small groups who make all or nearly all of their income from producing original content. These people are completely screwed if all of their audience blocks ads.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When researching pros and cons DO NOT use "Red Tube" or click on a link for that sits.

Reaction Score
Yeah, "rights holder" is more accurate than creator, especially when it comes to major music industry stuff. I tend to use Youtube to watch the channels of individuals and small groups who make all or nearly all of their income from producing original content. These people are completely screwed if all of their audience blocks ads.
Is payment to them when the actual ad on site is clicked, or when the site is clicked with the ad appearing (or both)?

I always thought that if the site is clicked they get the 'counts' leading to advertisers wanting them to host their ads (high volume). Along with that I assumed few people click on the ads themselves.

I say all this because you taught me something. If the ad is blocked even though the site was clicked the host doesn't get paid, correct? If not correct then how would the sponsor know their ad was blocked, especially if so few people ever click on it?

Reaction Score
There are different kinds of ads and some do only pay for clicks, but impressions are also a standard way of counting too. You can't know by looking at an ad if it is a click based or impression based ad. Some are more likely to fall into one category or another though. For instance a movie or TV show commercial is almost certainly paid per impression. Youtube tends to be pretty good at tailoring ads to your preferences and I'm surprised at how often I do actually want to watch rather than hit the skip button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom