OT - WSJ article 29 rules for recent grads..Jason Gay | The Boneyard

OT - WSJ article 29 rules for recent grads..Jason Gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Funny read.

Out here in Palo Alto getting my son settled into post-graduation "real life". I think he is safe on 3 and 4. He bought a good mattress set that should help him sleep great (once he gets moved in today and can sleep FAR away from the earthquake-like snoring of his momma) and he has no interest in TV...does any watching online, but that is limited. But, he definitely had his game face on at IKEA.

Things are progressing nicely in settling him. Found an apartment day one - though more expensive and fancier than my 53 Year old momma perspective thought was necessary, but he is the one who has to make the finances work - life lesson #1. He moves in today, or at least signs the lease and gets the bed. Small world, one of his old college roommates lives in the same apartment community! Completely coincidental. Hundreds of pounds of IKEA furniture being delivered and assembled tomorrow - asked 5 people for recommendations for furniture. All 5 said immediately IKEA. Who are we to argue? Opened a new account at a credit union as he wanted to get away from mega banks. He got lucky and found an one open appointment for the CA drivers license exam TODAY! Timing is everything, if not for this appt, he would have to wait until June, and have to beg for a ride among coworkers since he will wait about six months to buy a car. He just has to pass the written exam. He will be fully moved in by Thurs morning when the internet will be connected. After that tourist time for me!

He took me to his work last night for dinner and to meet his teammates and friends. This tech culture is weird. At 6 pm, everyone was still in the office, working away. And the dining room was more packed than the cafeteria at my work at lunch. At my work the place is a ghost town at 6. I thought it was because there was an "event" that night with Condoleza Rice speaking. My son says no, that is very normal for the dining room to be packed like that every night. And everyone's workspace has AT LEAST four monitors, some have 6. I have a hard time looking at my dual monitor setup! Dogs everywhere! Oh to be young and highly employable in the tech industry. Not that I am jealous - much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown
Top Bottom