OT : wow you people are learning!! | The Boneyard

OT : wow you people are learning!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I'm in a dilemma here. I bemoan the wastefulness of Americans with starving people in the world , but I'm ecstatic over the fact that 204 million pounds of turkey was taken off the street and now has the inability to harm people.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm in a dilemma here. I bemoan the wastefulness of Americans with starving people in the world , but I'm ecstatic over the fact that 204 million pounds of turkey was taken off the street and now has the inability to harm people.

By hurting people, you mean extending a multitude of lifetimes by untold number of years, there bye taking future resources off the table for the rest of the world? I understand the concept, but that's still a pretty cold, purely 'economic' take on things.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
By hurting people, you mean extending a multitude of lifetimes by untold number of years, there bye taking future resources off the table for the rest of the world? I understand the concept, but that's still a pretty cold, purely 'economic' take on things.

Taking Turkey off the street is just short of a major Heroin bust as a boon to society.

Reaction Score
Not this guy. I went off my "meat free" bandwagon this weekend to enjoy my turkey day. Went to my sisters, but brined and cooked my own bird for home. In addition to just straight up delicious turkey meat, I ate "rachels" which are reubens with turkey instead, I made a turkey pot pie, then used the carcass to make stock where I made "greens and beans" which is turkey stock, spinach and cannellini beans in a stew. There wasn't a morsel left on that bird when I got done with it.

Back to vegetables....

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Not this guy. I went off my "meat free" bandwagon this weekend to enjoy my turkey day. Went to my sisters, but brined and cooked my own bird for home. In addition to just straight up delicious turkey meat, I ate "rachels" which are reubens with turkey instead, I made a turkey pot pie, then used the carcass to make stock where I made "greens and beans" which is turkey stock, spinach and cannellini beans in a stew. There wasn't a morsel left on that bird when I got done with it.

Back to vegetables....

You are an outlier. An exception that proves the rule. So many people find Turkey distasteful they dont think enough of it to eat it all or save any of it or even give it away. People are waking up to the fact they are like zombies eating a tasteless foul fowl out of some kind of nostalgia trap, but their subconscious and tastebuds are now revolting and 2oo million pounds ends up in the trash.

I feel like this statistic validates what Ive been telling you guys here for years.

Reaction Score
You are an outlier. An exception that proves the rule. So many people find Turkey distasteful they dont think enough of it to eat it all or save any of it or even give it away. People are waking up to the fact they are like zombies eating a tasteless foul fowl out of some kind of nostalgia trap, but their subconscious and tastebuds are now revolting and 2oo million pounds ends up in the trash.

I feel like this statistic validates what Ive been telling you guys here for years.

Maybe they just aren't creative enough to cook anything else. They eat the roast, eat a sandwich or two and on Tuesday, toss the rest. I didn't have enough to make turkey croquettes which I had on the list. Raise your game, folks.

Reaction Score
Simple solution; just need more dogs in people's homes:

can-dogs-eat-turkey-bones_ddee09800a124de9.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You're nuts. Everyone I know makes turkey soup, pot pie, sandwiches (open face with gravy!) or just eats the leftovers straight up with leftover mashed potatoes and stuffing.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You're nuts. Everyone I know makes turkey soup, pot pie, sandwiches (open face with gravy!) or just eats the leftovers straight up with leftover mashed potatoes and stuffing.

Stats dont lie.

204 million lbs.

Wasted.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We once again did our part to reduce turkey waste within our world by hosting what I believe was the 25th anniversary of my original and still the best Post-Thanksgiving Leftover Pizza Party. I grilled nine beautiful pies to perfection this year, comprised of the leftovers from four households, including our own. Nary a piece went to waste and it was all delicious. Without question I look forward to that event more than Thanksgiving itself.

Reaction Score
We once again did our part to reduce turkey waste within our world by hosting what I believe was the 25th anniversary of my original and still the best Post-Thanksgiving Leftover Pizza Party. I grilled nine beautiful pies to perfection this year, comprised of the leftovers from four households, including our own. Nary a piece went to waste and it was all delicious. Without question I look forward to that event more than Thanksgiving itself.

What are some of the better combos you made?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What are some of the better combos you made?
Two of them had a different type of brussels sprouts on each that really stood out, especially the one of them that also had butternut squash, green bean casserole (made with goat cheese), chestnut stuffing and cheesy cauliflower (those being our family's leftovers). One couple always brings their leftover spinach and cheese balls and the pie made with those is always amazing; this year I believe there was something with pancetta on that one, too. I actually missed that pie entirely this year because it got wiped out while I was cooking the next pie and Mrs. 8893 forgot to save me a piece, but the crowd raved about it.

I am generally far more of a savory than sweet fan, but one neighbor always brings her maple pecan mashed sweet potatoes, and my favorite pie always ends up being one made with them. I think it may be the contrast with all the other savory pies that attracts me to it. In any event, this year it also had some good ol' canned cranberry sauce, good stuffing and the usual turkey and gravy, which find their way in some form on every pie.

Reaction Score
Two of them had a different type of brussels sprouts on each that really stood out, especially the one of them that also had butternut squash, green bean casserole (made with goat cheese), chestnut stuffing and cheesy cauliflower (those being our family's leftovers). One couple always brings their leftover spinach and cheese balls and the pie made with those is always amazing; this year I believe there was something with pancetta on that one, too. I actually missed that pie entirely this year because it got wiped out while I was cooking the next pie and Mrs. 8893 forgot to save me a piece, but the crowd raved about it.

I am generally far more of a savory than sweet fan, but one neighbor always brings her maple pecan mashed sweet potatoes, and my favorite pie always ends up being one made with them. I think it may be the contrast with all the other savory pies that attracts me to it. In any event, this year it also had some good ol' canned cranberry sauce, good stuffing and the usual turkey and gravy, which find their way in some form on every pie.

That is a really cool way to use leftovers. I may steal this one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That is a really cool way to use leftovers. I may steal this one.
It's a lot of fun and it has been great turning people on to it over the years. Especially a few people who, like @NC_Uconn_Fan describes above, previously swore opposition to eating leftovers. What began as me just throwing together pies with our leftovers has morphed into a party where people arrive with their own leftovers, eager for their turn to design their own masterpieces. Now I just man the grill and keep the drinks and music flowing. It has taken a while to master the cooking process for the pies, and a lot depends on the outdoor temperature, but once you get the first one done you can usually gauge the cooking times for the other ones accordingly. This year I was averaging around 5 1/2 to 6 minutes per pie. Using corn meal and removing the stone from the grill between pies are both key. If the stone gets too hot it will char the bottom before the top gets fully cooked.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Back to vegetables....

Deepster, I had no idea you were Carl Weathers? I loved you in Action Jackson!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
removing the stone from the grill between pies are both key. If the stone gets too hot it will char the bottom before the top gets fully cooked.

get a pizza oven noobatron.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sounds like a nice dartboard number.

And only 3 days in a fridge? Leftovers are good for 1.5-2 weeks if you have any kind of stomach.

As with a couple times last week, I need the skills to simply & instantly post short Simpsons clips from YouTube via my phone to The Boneyard. Insert Homer with the 6-foot hero retrieved from the garbage can here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom