OT- Women's Soccer | The Boneyard

OT- Women's Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
How much fun was that game against Germany? I only wished I could have seen Heather O'Reilly in the game. I know she broke UC Women's fans hearts in the NCAAs while at UNC but she was part of something special in women's high school soccer in New Jersey back in the day.
It was definitely good sport

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
How much fun was that game against Germany? I only wished I could have seen Heather O'Reilly in the game. I know she broke UC Women's fans hearts in the NCAAs while at UNC but she was part of something special in women's high school soccer in New Jersey back in the day.
It was definitely good sport
I was really glad that the US scored a goal in total defensive mode late to take away some of the controversy with some of the calls, although it seemed the officials were doing their best to let the players decide the game as there were a couple cards that could have been issued early against Germany.

Assuming we have to face Japan (obviously yet to be determined), what are our chances? Seems we don't let up goals so PKs may decide it.

Reaction Score
I Love soccer, but for some reason I have had no interest in the Womens World Cup this year.
Probably it's due to a deep depression caused by frequenting the BY.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Assuming we have to face Japan (obviously yet to be determined), what are our chances? Seems we don't let up goals so PKs may decide it.

This was essentially the final. I think the US/Germany would be substantial favorites over Japan/England. FIFA screwed up the draw: stacking one knockout bracket with the three best teams who won their groups. USA vs. Germany & Japan vs. France semifinal match-ups would have made a lot more sense.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
This was essentially the final. I think the US/Germany would be substantial favorites over Japan/England. FIFA screwed up the draw: stacking one knockout bracket with the three best teams who won their groups. USA vs. Germany & Japan vs. France semifinal match-ups would have made a lot more sense.
Or USA vs France and Germany vs Japan sticking to the traditional seed pairings 1 v 4 and 2 v 3.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It would nice if Morgan could put it together for the final. She's been pretty bad.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It would nice if Morgan could put it together for the final. She's been pretty bad.
She's coming back from injury, but agreed, the whole strike force hasn't been very good. Wambach, Leroux, Rodriguez, Press, none of them have been really good.

Was a bit surprised we played so well last night against Germany. A couple calls went our way which helped, but that's the best the USA has played all tourney. Created quite a few opportunities. I like our chances against Japan or England.

Reaction Score
She's coming back from injury, but agreed, the whole strike force hasn't been very good. Wambach, Leroux, Rodriguez, Press, none of them have been really good.

Was a bit surprised we played so well last night against Germany. A couple calls went our way which helped, but that's the best the USA has played all tourney. Created quite a few opportunities. I like our chances against Japan or England.

I thought Rodriguez had good energy the other night. A little sloppy but she was effective. The strength of this team is in the backline and the midfield.

Reaction Score
I was really glad that the US scored a goal in total defensive mode late to take away some of the controversy with some of the calls, although it seemed the officials were doing their best to let the players decide the game as there were a couple cards that could have been issued early against Germany.

Yup, big calls went our way. Johnston should have seen red. I am not sure we deserved that penalty. But I don't care because it's all partial payback for 2002 with the Torsten Frings handball.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game as I just made it home from Philly ahead of the storm front yesterday. I thought that the US played better initially; but, could not capitalize and were then lucky not to fall behind on the missed PK by Germany and then fortune favored the US on the PK that the USWST converted. The second goal was slick and well earned.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Second half last night she played really well. Made a lot of nice runs and drew the pk I believe

Reaction Score

The U.S. would surely be a favorite over Japan - but not by more than they were favored four years ago, when Japan got the Cup. As for the draw, it was a blind draw as far as what group each seeded team was in. FIFA didn't decide that Germany and the U.S. would be on the same side of the draw. It just worked out that way. It is the same on the men's side - but is far less of an issue since there are more quality teams.

Reaction Score
It was a fun game, but Germany looked fatigued. Probably the best game our women have played, numerous scoring chances.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It was a fun game, but Germany looked fatigued. Probably the best game our women have played, numerous scoring chances.
Agreed. When Whitehill (her, DiCicco and JP, ugh) said late in the game (when they were down 2), the Germans should be pressing, I was like what??? They just played 120 minutes against France, pressed most of the 1st half against USA, they probably got nothing left.

Reaction Score
Agreed. When Whitehill (her, DiCicco and JP, ugh) said late in the game (when they were down 2), the Germans should be pressing, I was like what??? They just played 120 minutes against France, pressed most of the 1st half against USA, they probably got nothing left.

Yeah, after they missed the PK they looked done. No urgency whatsoever. The mental blow and the physical exhaustion must have manifested itself. Plus our two best players had the last game off. We have a nice rotation going.

Reaction Score
Also, Jill Ellis has taken a load of criticism. Some has been fair, but the team is in the final and the defense is stout. They have really only made two mistakes all tournament. But it's kind of ridiculous for people to think that any team that doesn't play like Barca isn't playing well.

Reaction Score
Also, Jill Ellis has taken a load of criticism. Some has been fair, but the team is in the final and the defense is stout. They have really only made two mistakes all tournament. But it's kind of ridiculous for people to think that any team that doesn't play like Barca isn't playing well.

Agreed. I actually like Ellis' quiet confidence. USWNT looked much better last night in the 4-3-3 but that doesn't mean that style was necessary before last night's game. The US have had the luxury of resting A LOT of attackers this tournament (Morgan with minor injury, Wambach playing a sub role, Leroux, Rodriguez all getting some time). If anything the US has been extremely methodical this tournament relying heavily on a strong defense. Will be a tough final regardless of the opponent. Both Japan and England have a good attack that could ask some questions but I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I actually like Ellis' quiet confidence. USWNT looked much better last night in the 4-3-3 but that doesn't mean that style was necessary before last night's game. The US have had the luxury of resting A LOT of attackers this tournament (Morgan with minor injury, Wambach playing a sub role, Leroux, Rodriguez all getting some time). If anything the US has been extremely methodical this tournament relying heavily on a strong defense. Will be a tough final regardless of the opponent. Both Japan and England have a good attack that could ask some questions but I like our chances.

I like the US chances, too; but, the team's inability to capitalize on their attack (at least until the second half of the second half against a quality German team) is playing with fire. The US was very lucky not to be down a goal in the second half even though they controlled the game to that point. One day, hopefully not Sunday, it could bite them in Alex Morgan's very fine visage (paraphrased from FIFA, not me as I know way too many women who play soccer who can kick my butt).

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Agreed. I actually like Ellis' quiet confidence. USWNT looked much better last night in the 4-3-3
People keep saying that, but it wasn't a 4-3-3. It was either a 4-5-1 or probably even closer a 4-2-3-1. Agree though they did look a lot better. Having the extra player in midfield helps.

Reaction Score
People keep saying that, but it wasn't a 4-3-3. It was either a 4-5-1 or probably even closer a 4-2-3-1. Agree though they did look a lot better. Having the extra player in midfield helps.

Yes, a lot of the time it looked like a 4-2-3-1, with Rapinoe and Heath going forward a fair amount from their attacking outside mid spots. Looked much better than any formation and personnel grouping used previously.

Reaction Score

Agreed, she has done a great job, with the exception of like the first 10 minutes against Australia, the defense has been stellar and now the mid field and attackers are starting to click. I think taking Whamback and Larouch out of the starting lineup was a good move. Whamback is lookng old and slower out there.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's nice to be playing your best football at this time of the tournament. Still would feel better if Morgan had her finishing touch but US looks like they are in control. Then again England played a great game vs. Japan and then lost in the most brutal fashion imaginable, outside of penalty kicks.

Disappointed to go to football365.com (I think it's owned by Sky sports / Murdoch but I could be wrong) and there was zero mention of the WWC. Zip. Get with it England.

Reaction Score
It's nice to be playing your best football at this time of the tournament. Still would feel better if Morgan had her finishing touch but US looks like they are in control. Then again England played a great game vs. Japan and then lost in the most brutal fashion imaginable, outside of penalty kicks.

Disappointed to go to football365.com (I think it's owned by Sky sports / Murdoch but I could be wrong) and there was zero mention of the WWC. Zip. Get with it England.

England's own goal is all over football365 now. Does not help that Murdoch does not have the best reputation among women, just like FIFA itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom