OT: Women's Soccer Wins AAC Tourney, Suspends Player From NCAA's | The Boneyard

OT: Women's Soccer Wins AAC Tourney, Suspends Player From NCAA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team won on PKs and then in the celebration on the field, one of the players flipped the bird to an ESPNU camera. Her wits came back to her, and it dawned on her what she was doing, so she quickly tried to switch to the peace sign, but too late in this day and age of screen caps, gifs, etc.

UConn issued an immediate apology on the website today and suspended her from the NCAA Tournament. Tough price to pay for a split-second of really minor insanity in the middle of a celebration. George Mason's point guard punched an opponent in the nuts in the conference tournament and was only suspended for one game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A very stupid gesture (cue the "and we're just the ones to do it") but a suspension of more than one game is excessive.

Reaction Score
Does seem extra punitive but why on earth would your celebratory reaction be to flip the bird? That's the best she could come up with???

Reaction Score
Must be a benchwarmer.....

That was my thought. Just make her issue an apology, force her to do sprints for a whole practice or something and call it a day. She flipped the bird, it isn't like she started a brawl or something.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We imposed the penalty. Right?
Harsh!

Reaction Score
We imposed the penalty. Right?
Harsh!

trying to short circuit the NCAA death penalty to UConn for allowing a culture of hand gestures.

Reaction Score
It's generational.
When I was a kid, middle finger up to the camera would have been pretty aggressive.
Now, it's commonplace for people to flip off whoever is filming them - friends at a party, whatever. She just forgot that what's okay among 20 somethings is taboo among 60 somethings.
Was in a smoky, over 21 dive bar the other night and some folks a bit older than me were complaining to the owner about profane lyrics in the music from the jukebox. I'm thinking, "this is an over 21 bar. Are there still people who are offended by swearing?" Yep. For my 2 cents, I've probably heard bomb 10,000 times or so in my life. Frankly, it's lost all impact on me as a "bad" word when I hear it. I figure in 50 years it will be as acceptable as @55 and b1tch are today.
Too each his or her own, to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman