OT: Women of Troy on HBO | The Boneyard

OT: Women of Troy on HBO

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Tonight, 9:00 EST.

Women of Troy

"Women of Troy is an HBO Sports documentary exploring the transcendent career of the Cheryl Miller-led USC Trojans and their impact on women’s basketball.

"The Women of Troy arrived to the University of Southern California as Title IX’s influence in women’s sports first emerged. Their ability to overcome adversity on and off the court propelled them into national prominence, winning two national titles and becoming the first women’s collegiate team to visit the Ronald Reagan White House."

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Just watched it. Early days of women's basketball: Cheryl Miller, the McGee twins, Cynthia Cooper -- all on the same team! La Tech women, the Lady Vols of the time, with footage of their little guard Kim Mulkey. Lot of stuff I didn't know. Where Cynthia Cooper got her chops before her WNBA days. Basically from USC to the early WNBA. See it if you can; I'm sure it will get re-played. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to attend 15-20 USC WBB games at the LA Sports Arena (which has since been torn down and replaced by a soccer stadium) during their 2 championship seasons.

My children were just starting to play basketball, so We attended those games so that they could see how the game should be played. I remember all of the players being approachable and fan friendly after the game.

I was able to meet and chat with Cheryl Miller’s parents on several occasions. They attended every home game. Those games were a lot of fun to watch, and very affordable. We always had great seats because attendance was sparse. You could basically sit anywhere you wanted to. Fred Williams, former head coach of the Dallas Wings, and current assistant coach of the Sparks was an assistant coach for Linda Sharp. I’ve been watching and following WCBB for a minute. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just watched it. Early days of women's basketball: Cheryl Miller, the McGee twins, Cynthia Cooper -- all on the same team! La Tech women, the Lady Vols of the time, with footage of their little guard Kim Mulkey. Lot of stuff I didn't know. Where Cynthia Cooper got her chops before her WNBA days. Basically from USC to the early WNBA. See if if you can; I'm sure it will get re-played. Highly recommended.

Dennis Rodman’s sister, Janice played for their arch rival LA Tech with Mulkey.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just watched it. Early days of women's basketball: Cheryl Miller, the McGee twins, Cynthia Cooper -- all on the same team! La Tech women, the Lady Vols of the time, with footage of their little guard Kim Mulkey. Lot of stuff I didn't know. Where Cynthia Cooper got her chops before her WNBA days. Basically from USC to the early WNBA. See it if you can; I'm sure it will get re-played. Highly recommended.
Replaying at 11:00 pm Central Daylight Time.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Includes reminiscences, insights, & oral history by Cheryl Miller, Paula and Pamela McGee, Cynthia Cooper, Reggie Miller, Ann Meyers-Drysdale, Doris Burke, Jackie McMullen, Kim Mulkey, Geno Auriemma, Sonja Hogg (LaTech coach), and others.

I didn't watch sports on TV as an adult until the early 90s when I purchased my first TV. Channel surfing I came across the NCAA women's bball tournament. I remember watching Katie Smith & Sheryl Swoopes, and a large woman I later learned (much later) was Kara Wolters. I watched Sylvia Hatchell frowning and scheming throughout the championship game that was won on a 3 pt shot from the corner by Charlotte Smith, and the crowd (and Sylvia) went wild. I was hooked after that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom