OT-WNT in Soccer plays tonight | The Boneyard

OT-WNT in Soccer plays tonight

Reaction Score
Tonight begins the annual "She Believes Cup" tournament for the US Womens' National Soccer team @7PM EST on FS1. The women play Canada, followed by games on Feb. 21 @3 PM against Brazil and on the 24th vs Argentina @7 PM all on FS1.
This is an Olympic year, so this tournament is a last important test for what, IMO, is the best collection of women soccer players ever assembled. The US is undefeated this year, and in the last two games its opponent has not managed even a single shot on goal against them. They have won both of the last two World Cups.
The current coach has emphasized a very attractive approach featuring 90 minutes of non-stop aggression on both offense and defense. This is possible due to the extraordinary number of talented players on the team.
Watching the USNWT is a wonderful experience. Hope you find time to indulge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One slight correction, they are actually not the reigning Olympic Gold Medalists from 2016. Germany are the reigning Olympic gold medalists. They are the back-to-back World Cup champions, having won in both 2015 and 2019.

I'm very much looking forward to the game tonight. Hoping that we get to see both Rose Lavelle and Christen Press today, both of whom have been a bit underutilized on their FA WSL teams this winter, though Press is seeing minutes lately due to injuries for ManUtd.

Reaction Score
One slight correction, they are actually not the reigning Olympic Gold Medalists from 2016. Germany are the reigning Olympic gold medalists. They are the back-to-back World Cup champions, having won in both 2015 and 2019.

I'm very much looking forward to the game tonight. Hoping that we get to see both Rose Lavelle and Christen Press today, both of whom have been a bit underutilized on their FA WSL teams this winter, though Press is seeing minutes lately due to injuries for ManUtd.
Thanks for the correction. I should take more care to report things accurately, but sometimes I think that something is when it is not. (My wife is nodding.)
You sound like someone who already knows and enjoys women's soccer. Isn't Alex Morgan about to renter the fray? Can things be even better than they are?
I've changed my mistake, and thank you again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. I should take more care to report things accurately, but sometimes I think that something is when it is not. (My wife is nodding.)
You sound like someone who already knows and enjoys women's soccer. Isn't Alex Morgan about to renter the fray? Can things be even better than they are?
The 2016 loss was absolutely a shock; a quarterfinal knockout from Sweden on Penalty Kicks and with World Cup wins sandwiching the Olympics, its easy to miss.

Yes, I do think the USA should be very strong this year and even better in their future matches than the early ones this year. The games they played earlier this year were missing 3 of their best forwards; Alex Morgan, Christen Press, and Tobin Heath. Alex was out due to COVID protocol and tonight is the first time she's available for the USWNT since the World Cup as she was pregnant in late 2019 - 2020 and the pandemic shut things down. Press and Heath were not available for the January games; both are playing for Manchester United and Press was coming back from illness and Tobin Heath chose to stay in Manchester.

Unfortunately, Tobin is currently injured but was having a phenomenal season at ManUtd. She should be back by the Olympics. The starting line of Press - Heath - Morgan will likely be the preferred Olympic starting forward line; while Rapinoe is the big name, I think Press adds speed and finishing they need. Rapinoe should be in the mix and will likely be used in key matches for her set pieces, penalty kicks, and corners, as that's where she excels. The downside here is all four of these players are 30+ and the younger forwards have shown flashes of brilliance, but lack consistency. I think Vlatko uses the next few months to test out other forwards, but I think Press - Morgan - Heath (baring injury) and with Rapinoe mixed in, will be the preferred lineup.

Elswhere, the US is STACKED with midfielders who are mostly in their 20s; Rose Lavelle, Julie Ertz, Lindsay Horan, and Sam Mewis (out with an injury for SheBelieves). Arguably where the US is deepest, as Kristie Mewis is been incredibly strong over the past year.

The Defense has been solid and there are a mix of younger players that have seen good minutes and veterans that are consistent and know the USA system. The last "unknown" is the GK; Alyssa Naeher is the starter, but backups have been a bit all over the place since the World Cup.

Overall, the USA should be very strong this year and I think even better with the return of Alex Morgan and Christen Press, and hopefully with Sam Mewis and Tobin Heath back in the coming months.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the opener, Brazil looked pretty good with a 4-1 win over Argentina.

Reaction Score
In the opener, Brazil looked pretty good with a 4-1 win over Argentina.
Argentina, I believe, was a late sub-in for a Japan team that was unable to travel to the US for this tournament. They are the least talented squad of the four, but were happily available.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Argentina, I believe, was a late sub-in for a Japan team that was unable to travel to the US for this tournament. They are the least talented squad of the four, but were happily available.
I understand that but Brazil looked good to my eyes and with Pia as coach, should be the best match for US

Reaction Score

Rose just scored a goal to break a 0-0 tie shortly after subbing in.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
USA 1-0 final. Canada played well, we were not really "On " tonight. But we won.

Reaction Score
Rose just scored a goal to break a 0-0 tie shortly after subbing in.
Off a Christen Press set piece! Very happy both players got in and I think they changed the energy of the game.

US really struggled in this one; everyone was a bit "off", but a win is a win! Canada played well and fought hard. I think Vlatko wanted to test out a few players (Macario, Purce), but the team never really gelled. I think for Brazil on Sunday both Alex Morgan and Christen Press start alongside Lynn Williams and Rose Lavelle replaces Macario in the midfield. Those three brought much needed energy off the bench at the 60' mark.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Off a Christen Press set piece! Very happy both players got in and I think they changed the energy of the game.

US really struggled in this one; everyone was a bit "off", but a win is a win! Canada played well and fought hard. I think Vlatko wanted to test out a few players (Macario, Purce), but the team never really gelled. I think for Brazil on Sunday both Alex Morgan and Christen Press start alongside Lynn Williams and Rose Lavelle replaces Macario in the midfield. Those three brought much needed energy off the bench at the 60' mark.
Those subs brought some real energy to the US effort., and changed up attack angles a bit. Alex Morgan is a step slow, but her month of lost practice is probably the reason for that. I hear she is coming on strong every day. I miss Tobin Heath! Always happy to win.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, they seemed a little off last night. But they haven't played anyone as good as Canada in awhile.

Rapinoe may come up with something once in awhile, but the rest of the time she's more a liability. At least compared to other options.

I think Lloyd can still help, late in the game. Don't think she should be starting though. Maybe start her against lower level teams to give our best FWs a break.

Poor Macario. She had a rough game last night. Hopefully she will learn and move on. She has a lot of potential.

When those 3 went off and Press/Lavelle/Morgan came on, the USA picked up a lot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Something about the USWNT that they refuse to move on from name players who are washed up. Their fealty to Wambach almost cost them a WC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom