OT: WNBL Tribunal Suspends Liz Cambage | The Boneyard

OT: WNBL Tribunal Suspends Liz Cambage

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Stumbled across this while checking up on Sun players... More than the incident itself, the process caught my attention. Seems more transparent and judicial than I am used to.

The incident itself was a clear flagrant foul on Cambage. Not sure this would have warranted a 2-game suspension in the WNBA.
After all, it's just "a bit of a corkie" :D.

As a side note, in a 2016 interview, the normally fun and outgoing Cambage has admitted to being "a horrible person" on the court. She called it "white line fever" and referred to "rage blackouts". 6'8" and 220 lbs. Yikes. :eek:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Never had any love for Cambage. Don't know how someone could do that to Cubby's daughter.
Now very glad you posted this! Can anyone tell me why? Hint: A UCONN potential recruit was on display in this very brief clip.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Never had any love for Cambage. Don't know how someone who could do that to Cubby's daughter.
Now very glad you posted this! Can anyone tell me why? Hint: A UCONN potential recruit was on display in this clip very brief clip.

For those who don't know... "Chubby" as in Chubby Checker.

psconn

Reaction Score
Never had any love for Cambage. Don't know how someone who could do that to Cubby's daughter.
Now very glad you posted this! Can anyone tell me why? Hint: A UCONN potential recruit was on display in this clip very brief clip.

Good catch... #5 - Ezi!!

psconn

Reaction Score
Cambage has always been kind of an enigma. Has all the physical gifts and skill to dominate, but in my opinion has never committed to the kind of conditioning and work ethic required to be be the best she can be. Until she signed with the Boomers, Liz was basically out of basketball since the Opals lost to Serbia in the quarter finals at the Rio Olympics. She said that she had been a pro basketballer since age 15 and needed a break. She has described pro league ball as just a job, but playing for the Opals as her passion. She claims to still have some interest in the WNBA. She could play for Dallas (who owns her rights) at some point. Her buddy Erin Phillips is on the Wings staff.

Reaction Score
My take.

I am pretty sure you will NEVER see a UConn player rolling around on the ground and crying over a "charlie horse".

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Cambage has always been kind of an enigma. Has all the physical gifts and skill to dominate, but in my opinion has never committed to the kind of conditioning and work ethic required to be be the best she can be. Until she signed with the Boomers, Liz was basically out of basketball since the Opals lost to Serbia in the quarter finals at the Rio Olympics. She said that she had been a pro basketballer since age 15 and needed a break. She has described pro league ball as just a job, but playing for the Opals as her passion. She claims to still have some interest in the WNBA. She could play for Dallas (who owns her rights) at some point. Her buddy Erin Phillips is on the Wings staff.
I last saw Cambage play at the University of Delaware leading into the 2016 Olympics playing against team Canada and Kia. Liz had a very sour disposition & was unnecessarily trying to intimidate other players and the refs.
Liz=$10 game but 50c personality.

Reaction Score
It didn't look like much contact.. but I guess I didn't feel it... She didn't kick her leg out or knee out or anything...

psconn

Reaction Score
My take.

I am pretty sure you will NEVER see a UConn player rolling around on the ground and crying over a "charlie horse".

I've watched Mistie play in the W her whole career and especially with the Sun. While she plays a very tough hustling game, she has been known to oversell calls and over-react to minor injuries at times. It was, after all, "just a bit of a corkie" (I am so going to use that in a game thread this year :p).

psconn

Reaction Score
I last saw Cambage play at the University of Delaware leading into the 2016 Olympics playing against team Canada and Kia. Liz had a very sour disposition & was unnecessarily trying to intimidate other players and the refs.
Liz=$10 game but 50c personality.

Confirming her self-assessment that she is a "horrible person" on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It didn't look like much contact.. but I guess I didn't feel it... She didn't kick her leg out or knee out or anything...
When you are 6'8" and 220 ( I think that's generous for Liz ) a little contact can hurt a lot .

psconn

Reaction Score
Final decision:
Liz made an early guilty plea and thus the got a one-game reduction in her sentence. Quite a system.

The WNBL acknowledges the decision made by the game review panel regarding the incident involving Elizabeth Cambage during the round seven game between the Deakin Melbourne Boomers and the University of Canberra Capitals player Mistie Bass.

The league was notified of the intentions of the Deakin Melbourne Boomers this morning.

The matter has been resolved by the game review panel, Elizabeth Cambage accepting the one game suspension on early plea, down from the two games offered by the game review panel.

As a result, Cambage will miss this Thursday night’s away game vs. JCU Townsville Fire.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the process would have been if she wanted to fight the suspension. Probably too much of a hassle to bother with it, even though I suppose it goes on her record and any further incidents will get bigger punishments?

It's debatable whether Cambage intended injury on that play. Seemed like an aggressive nudge, but shouldn't be enough to make a large player go down like a sack of potatoes. The afflicted player came back after getting a leg wrap to play better than she was before, so I'd say it wasn't even a deep bruise. If the player showed photographic evidence of a huge welt, I may feel differently.

In the WNBA, they're mostly concerned with activity above the shoulders, so I'm not sure this gets more than a common foul.... but it's so unusual it's hard to say for sure.

psconn

Reaction Score
I wonder what the process would have been if she wanted to fight the suspension. Probably too much of a hassle to bother with it, even though I suppose it goes on her record and any further incidents will get bigger punishments?

It's debatable whether Cambage intended injury on that play. Seemed like an aggressive nudge, but shouldn't be enough to make a large player go down like a sack of potatoes. The afflicted player came back after getting a leg wrap to play better than she was before, so I'd say it wasn't even a deep bruise. If the player showed photographic evidence of a huge welt, I may feel differently.

In the WNBA, they're mostly concerned with activity above the shoulders, so I'm not sure this gets more than a common foul.... but it's so unusual it's hard to say for sure.

(See video from side angle at about the 25 sec mark) The "aggressive nudge" looked more like an MMA knee strike. Really dirty play, totally intentional, and had the potential to injure Bass' knee.
Category: | Herald Sun

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom