1. Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support The Boneyard. (Dismiss this notice by clicking the x at the top right of the box)
    Dismiss Notice

OT-- WNBA Pretty Weak

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by hoophuskee, Sep 10, 2017.

1. hoophuskee

hoophuskee

I had forgotten about this. But it is imo a disgrace that the WNBA is forcing the 3rd and 4th best teams in the WNBA just a 1 game sudden death. I thought it was 2 of 3.

I'ts not like I'm big time upset. I'm not. I just look at for example how hot NY Liberty are. And for as well as they've played the last month-- one game can knock them out?

Ridiculous.

Scoop, Wmccfp, Fairfield Fan and 6 others like this.
  2. VAUConnFan

VAUConnFan

While I do not disagree, CT and NY, in a sudden death scenario, have to be able to utilize their home court advantage; Especially with a first round bye.

eebmg and cbraarj like this.
  3. EricLA

EricLA Cronus

I mentioned the same thing in the thread on the NY vs. Washington game. At least I think I did. You know, old brains and what not - they ain't what they used to me.

I don't mind the 1 game play in for the 1st round, but after that, would prefer to see at the very least, 2 out of 3 in the next round, 3 out of 5 in the next round, and 4 out of 7 for the finals. The more games the better IMHO. Let's the better teams generally win over a longer series instead of rewarding the team that has a great game vs. the "better" team who has an off night. Sort of like UCONN losing to Mississippi State last year! ;)

Dillon77, Scoop, VAUConnFan and 2 others like this.
  4. eebmg

eebmg

I imagine this would cut into any rest time the players may have before going over to international play.

5. Orangutan

Orangutan South Bend Simian

You're right, it is ridiculous. However, I find it difficult to muster up any outrage when the whole thing (really the whole) season is just a march toward the obvious Lynx-Sparks series.

6. Geew1992

Geew1992

Eh, I like it. Makes the 1 and done games more exciting. And each game means something.

7. chrissaran

chrissaran

Every game in the playoffs mean something. One and done in the first round is fine. Two out of three for the next round.

eebmg likes this.
  8. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 Good Guy for a Dookie

Baseballs plays 162 games per season, to the WNBA's 34.

Baseball has a wild card, winner take all game to begin then postseason.

Is MLB "weak?" A "disgrace?" "Ridiculous?"
    (Using the original poster's words)

No. This is professional sports. Winner take all.

9. Shades

Shades

ESPN likes it too. Pretty sure it's what they want, and they pay the money. They want more games with higher ratings.

10. Trappa

Trappa

How many rounds of winner take all does baseball have? Probably not half of their bracket...

Editing to add: I don't have a problem with an opening round of one-and-done. Although putting half your playoff teams in a round-and-done situation seems a bit off, but whatever, you're limited with 12 teams. Anyway, if we were given a choice with had to include at least one one-and-done, I'd prefer second round 2-of-3, third round 2-of-3 and then the Finals 3-of-5.

I'm a big Dee fan though, so I shouldn't want to change a thing.... seems these one-and-done games are the few times she decides to show up and play like she cares anymore. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 Good Guy for a Dookie

Ten teams make the MLB Playoffs. 4 participate in Wild Card games.

As for your proposal, it would not work with the current format, as it would give the top two teams potentially two weeks off. The easiest way to solve it would be to re-seed the playoffs as 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. and make that two out of three, then the semis two out of three, then the Finals three out of five, with no team having a bye or playing in a single elimination game.

12. Trappa

Trappa

Lol oh yeah, good point, I forgot about the two round bye thing too. I'd do away with that too in my "If I was GM" world. It's crazy to me a team only has to win one series and is into the Finals.