OT: Window Air Conditioners

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by temery, May 23, 2016.

1. temery

temery What?

I run my house on 150 kWh/month. The only luxury I have is a small window air conditioner for my 10' x 10' bedroom.

My current air conditioner is ten years old, and looking a little tired.

Here's my question: How long do window air conditioners last? Will a new unit be more efficient?

2. Da_Aisijimo_Gou

Da_Aisijimo_Gou

20 minutes ... to depends, but any new unit is likely to be more efficient than a 10 year old box of unknown initial cost and maintenance record.

More expensive up front, but a ductless AC unit may be worthy of some consideration. If installed correctly, they're much more efficient and quieter than window ACs. It's not central air, but also may cool more than your message suggests for a 10' x 10' br. just tossin it out

Dove and 8893 like this.
  3. temery

temery What?

@Da_Aisijimo_Gou

My house is 650 sq ft. I've thought about a ductless unit, but I really only need to cool the bedroom.

4. 8893

8893 Curiouser

We have a ductless and love it.

Window units are ugly, noisy and smelly. And a PITA to keep putting in and taking out.

5. Danzz

Danzz

Ductless is what is used in hot climates (Caribbean, South America etc.) and they seem to work well. Mitsubishi is the brand I've seen most often. As far as window AC Frederich is the brand I've seen in NYC where changing out your AC is a major job.

6. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

Would you consider the floor AC unit? Just need a window nearby. I would avoid the window mounts. PIA to get in and out and move to storage area (basement, garage etc...). ACs today are prid=ced well but made to last a short time...like 7 years?

[​IMG]

uconnell and temery like this.
  7. Northbound

Northbound

That's why I just leave the thing in all year. Used to take it out and truck it up to our place up north to store it and finally said eff that, leave the thing in. It's a prewar building and it's hotter than blazes in the winter with no ability to adjust the heat a little draft if there is one won't hurt anything.

I've got some huge kenmore now - got it last year - it's big, but I wanted one big unit that could almost cool the entire apartment which is does pretty well if i set the timer for about 2 hours before we get home - plus where floor space is important I think a window unit is a way to go - It's covered by drapes when not in use so you can't see it.

temery likes this.
  8. SubbaBub

SubbaBub Your stupidity is ruining my country.

You can buy a 4-5k btu for around a hundred bucks. It will be fairly light and be more than enough for your bedroom.

You may want to go smaller if you can find one. Couldn't say about juice usage. I crank mine for 4 months straight. I don't mind paying for that blast of cold air when you walk in from outside.

temery and Northbound like this.
  9. temery

temery What?

Decided to stick with the one I've got, for now. But ductless will be my next purchase, once this one dies.

10. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

We have central AC in the upstairs, but they never ran vents for the downstairs when they put it in. We tried using a window unit downstairs for several years before putting in a ductless unit. A single good sized ductless unit covers the whole space pretty well. They are super quiet as well.

8893 likes this.
  11. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Exactly my situation.