OT: will penalties be reviewable soon? | The Boneyard

OT: will penalties be reviewable soon?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It usually takes one egregiously bad call/no call to make changes in rules like that ie Jim Joyce blowing Armando Gallaragha’s perfect game in baseball bringing replay in. It would not shock me given the reactionary nature we usually see in these situations that the NFL institutes replay for penalties. IMO bad calls are a part of the game and replay is painful, especially when you rewatch it once and can tell the right calls but refs stare at it for 5 min. Thoughts?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’d rather eliminate replay all together and play the game.
Me too brother, internet won’t all that though. Everyone at home can replay whenever they want. You’d think that would motivate refs to make the right call but nah. Umpires in baseball may as well eliminated as any call can be replayed. Use a digital strike zone and call it a day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Me too brother, internet won’t all that though. Everyone at home can replay whenever they want. You’d think that would motivate refs to make the right call but nah. Umpires in baseball may as well eliminated as any call can be replayed. Use a digital strike zone and call it a day.

Football officials are reffing to the replay.

That’s why so many TD’s get pushed back to the one for example. If you call it a TD it gets reviewed and fixed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’ve been banging the eliminate replay for years with my friends and they finally are starting to agree with me.

They get so many wrong on review what’s the point.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
No way. Pass interference or holding calls are judgment calls, for better or worse. The idea that coaches could throw a flag on critical plays to have officials see if they missed a penalty would be a clusterf. As it is, the "official in the broadcasting booth" doesn't always agree with the referee challenge decisions.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There are also moments where even on replay it’s almost impossible to tell. For example, Edelman touching the punt or not

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I’ve been banging the eliminate replay for years with my friends and they finally are starting to agree with me.

They get so many wrong on review what’s the point.
Not just that, they add a lot of viewing time. It's why Red Zone is great yet watching Thursday, Sunday, or Monday Night football too long and boring.

I will add that MNF is unbearable because of the crew calling the game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No way. Pass interference or holding calls are judgment calls, for better or worse. The idea that coaches could throw a flag on critical plays to have officials see if they missed a penalty would be a clusterf. As it is, the "official in the broadcasting booth" doesn't always agree with the referee challenge decisions.

That's the argument, but I think it is hogwash. Pass interference, offensive and defensive, can be reviewed pretty easily. It's no more difficult to determine than catch-no catch. If you keep the number of challenges at 2, I don't see it as a problem. I think holding is more difficult, especially offensive holding.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
That's the argument, but I think it is hogwash. Pass interference, offensive and defensive, can be reviewed pretty easily. It's no more difficult to determine than catch-no catch. If you keep the number of challenges at 2, I don't see it as a problem. I think holding is more difficult, especially offensive holding.

You can challenge anything and everything in the CFL and it hasn't caused any issues up there. Point is, if you keep things at 2 challenges per team and anything reviewable under 2 minutes, it's not going to prolong the game any more than current rule.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There's a penalty somewhere on almost every play. It's a horrible idea.

Then there should be a lot more flags. The players would adjust.

The lack of contact in the secondary would be offset by a significant decrease in open hand blocking on DLs.

But that would put qbs are risk, and the sports entertainment industry can’t let its golden babies get hit.

Reaction Score
Then there should be a lot more flags. The players would adjust.

The lack of contact in the secondary would be offset by a significant decrease in open hand blocking on DLs.

But that would put qbs are risk, and the sports entertainment industry can’t let its golden babies get hit.
There's 22 players on the field. It's near impossible to catch all the action. Blown calls are part of the game.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

With legal sports gambling growing they will almost certainly make a change. Unfortunately. I'm for letting them play as well.

Reaction Score
I don't think all penalties should be reviewable, but pass interference should be. Blown calls on long pass plays are just too important to get wrong

Reaction Score
Oh good. Longer games while we await the call. WTF ever happened to having replay overturn where there was incontrovertible evidence only. If it’s not obvious and you can’t tell ASAP, move on and let the call stand. Count me among those opposed to further delays.

the Q

Reaction Score
Oh good. Longer games while we await the call. WTF ever happened to having replay overturn where there was incontrovertible evidence only. If it’s not obvious and you can’t tell ASAP, move on and let the call stand. Count me among those opposed to further delays.

They can’t even get that right. That might be the most frustrating part of replay.

Reaction Score
You have to either do this or eliminate replay altogether.

The officials are too old, too out of shape and lack the mental capacity to make accurate calls. These incompetent and out of shape geezers are deciding games. We need technology to bridge the gap.

the Q

Reaction Score
With legal sports gambling growing they will almost certainly make a change. Unfortunately. I'm for letting them play as well.

Can you unpack what you mean by “let the players play?”

Reaction Score
You can challenge anything and everything in the CFL and it hasn't caused any issues up there. Point is, if you keep things at 2 challenges per team and anything reviewable under 2 minutes, it's not going to prolong the game any more than current rule.
I heard it actually just totally screwed with the CFL’s super bowl

Anyway, being able to challenge penalties is one thing. But given the case that has brought this topic to light, we are really talking about challenging so that the refs may find something and retroactively call a penalty. The idea of a coach holding on to his two challenges, just waiting for a big play to happen, to challenge and force the refs to try to find an illegal touching or something that happened on the other side of the field just to negate a big/great play, is a concerning one to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The refs need to get fined, suspended, banned, SOMETHING... They are making (or NOT making) calls as if it's a Buffalo Wild Wings commercial...

Crap like that garbage we witnessed on Sunday (from BOTH games) makes you appreciate CFB (NOT that FBS level playoff crap, just plain old College Football) that much more...

Reaction Score
Can you unpack what you mean by “let the players play?”
I agree let the players play, BUT you gotta call that Pass Interference on the Rams defender there, with the ENTIRE world watching the guy never played the football and smacked into the WR .. How there was a no call there it beyond me.. Then the phantom Roughing the Passer call on Brady.. That to me killed the momentum for KC, NOT that stupid Offsides penalty..... Just shameful what's going on right now.. Killing the game with these refs...

The icing on the cake was the Ref exchanging jerseys with Gurley.. smh.....

Rigging games thrown right in our faces folks... and the Koolaid gets goggled down by the masses ( the bandwagoners.. . This new era doesn't promote folks that are true fans to their perspective teams... Just doesn't sell as well).... shameful....

Reaction Score
Last year I did not know what a catch is in the NFL. This year, I don't know what constitutes pass interference. It would help if that was defined.... Who knows, next year I might not know what a fair catch is....

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree let the players play, BUT you gotta call that Pass Interference on the Rams defender there, with the ENTIRE world watching the guy never played the football and smacked into the WR .. How there was a no call there it beyond me.. Then the phantom Roughing the Passer call on Brady.. That to me killed the momentum for KC, NOT that stupid Offsides penalty..... Just shameful what's going on right now.. Killing the game with these refs...

Rigging games thrown right in our faces folks... and the Koolaid gets goggled down by the masses ( the bandwagoners.. . This new era doesn't promote folks that are true fans to their perspective teams... Just doesn't sell as well).... shameful....

Exactly why I asked. Because what they did would fall under the common cry of “letting the players play”

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

The ref and Gurley exchanging jerseys was photoshopped, never happened.

Rams' Todd Gurley trolls Saints fans in Instagram post

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom