OT: Whittling and Woodworking | The Boneyard

OT: Whittling and Woodworking

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
anyone on the boneyard into whittling? Just got a great knife (benchmade) for backpacking and decided to try whittling with fallen branches around the yard. Trying to make a spoon from birch. Any beginner tips?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Woodworker here. Havent done much 3D carving or whittling but have done a bunch of letter and relief carving recently. I mostly enjoy making furniture but carving is quick, quiet and i can do it in spurts while the kid and wife are asleep.

My only tip is know what sharp is and know how to get back to it once your knife gets dull. It should be sharp enough to pop individual hairs off your arm. Personally, im a wet stone (220, 400, 1000, 8000g) and leather strop (with yellow flexcut compound) guy.

Look up Mary May or Lora Irish. Both amazing wood carvers. Ive learned most of what i know from the web. A good place, and a forum im part of, is lumberjocks.com

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Woodworker here. Havent done much 3D carving or whittling but have done a bunch of letter and relief carving recently. I mostly enjoy making furniture but carving is quick, quiet and i can do it in spurts while the kid and wife are asleep.

My only tip is know what sharp is and know how to get back to it once your knife gets dull. It should be sharp enough to pop individual hairs off your arm. Personally, im a wet stone (220, 400, 1000, 8000g) and leather strop (with yellow flexcut compound) guy.

Look up Mary May or Lora Irish. Both amazing wood carvers. Ive learned most of what i know from the web. A good place, and a forum im part of, is lumberjocks.com

Awesome, this is super helpful. Is there a general time frame for a knife getting dull? Obviously varies based on what you’re cutting and such, but a general rule of thumb maybe?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
You'll stop getting clean cuts and get the fuzzies where 2 cut lines meet. The moment you start pushing too hard is when its dull, its also when youll cut yourself.

Wood selection and reading the grain is super important too. Birch and cherry are good woods for a spoon. If im relief carving i like basswood, cherry, and walnut for natives. All fairly straight grained. You dont want any knots, the grain tends to swirl around a knot.

Feel free to PM with any dumb questions you dont feel like getting openly hammered on lol.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
If you find you enjoy carving, Morakniv knives will make you smile, Phil.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just following up for all the haters and the losers

Finished my first thing...birch cooking spoon

Attachments

• 50552FD4-6A57-4678-8B2A-5B6DC1E6A9E9.jpeg
    50552FD4-6A57-4678-8B2A-5B6DC1E6A9E9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not too shabby on that spoon.

Heres a good link for ya ...

Wood Carving, Relief Carving, Chip Carving, and Whittling Free Online Projects by L S Irish | LSIrish.com

Ive got her book on carving a green man that im slowly digesting.

Thanks. Probably trying the birch coffee cup next as a gift for @whaler11 so he can put his single origin full city roast in there.

Do you go to the woodworking shop on spencer st in Manchester by any chance? Just got a hook knife there and a glove the other day. Pretty nice place

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Thanks. Probably trying the birch coffee cup next as a gift for @whaler11 so he can put his single origin full city roast in there.

Do you go to the woodworking shop on spencer st in Manchester by any chance? Just got a hook knife there and a glove the other day. Pretty nice place

Yup, ive spent a small fortune there. If you need material try Parkerville wood products across town in Manchester. Bring a spare pair of shorts though. First timers are guaranteed to soil at least one pair.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yup, ive spent a small fortune there. If you need material try Parkerville wood products across town in Manchester. Bring a spare pair of shorts though. First timers are guaranteed to soil at least one pair.

Been there before. I was trying to price out some cedar for a raised garden bed. I did indeed soil my shorts. I'd be happy to take their scraps, though.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
7C684884-2D92-46B2-95E7-CB6DEB8624FF.jpeg
Mora knives came in today. They popped hairs clean off the back of my hand right outta the package.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom