OT: What's with the water bottles nowadays? | The Boneyard

OT: What's with the water bottles nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I flicked to a game with my wife in the room and she's watching some football. She sees a water crew come out to the field during a play stoppage and asks why players don't just take a bottle and drink themselves. I had no answer. And for the past few seasons we have seen the water crews squirting water into the the gaping maws of the players without wondering the same. Even tonight I saw a waterboy point a bottle at a head coaches face...I mean wtf?

Did a player get seriously hurt taking his own drink that suddenly players and coaches can't touch a water bottle? Is it a union thing?

upload_2014-1-4_0-41-25.jpeg

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Perhaps it saves water not to let every player have there own water bottle? Maybe it's faster? Maybe it's there job? I've honestly wondered that myself. There are some who just take the bottle themselves, but I have no idea

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Tendonitis of the hand, better known as "bottle finger" is reaching epidemic levels in both the collegiate and pro ranks...

Reaction Score
It started with the Cretan archers in the eastern Mediterranean during the classical and Hellenistic periods. They had slaves who gave them their water directly to avoid slippage on their bows. The Roman republic and empire adopted this method of hydration when using the Cretans as auxiliary troops. As the empire expanded, this method grew in popularity working its way to Western Europe. During the revolutionary this made its way to the American shores as Cornwall was a huge advocate. Once the Colonies Militias / Minute Men and their Indian scouts got wind of it, it became all the rave throughout the colonies. This is why you sometimes hear football players refer to themselves as warriors and going to battle.... It has nothing to do with the competition and physicality of the sport, and everything to do with water bottles.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
It started with the Cretan archers in the eastern Mediterranean during the classical and Hellenistic periods. They had slaves who gave them their water directly to avoid slippage on their bows. The Roman republic and empire adopted this method of hydration when using the Cretans as auxiliary troops. As the empire expanded, this method grew in popularity working its way to Western Europe. During the revolutionary this made its way to the American shores as Cornwall was a huge advocate. Once the Colonies Militias / Minute Men and their Indian scouts got wind of it, it became all the rave throughout the colonies. This is why you sometimes hear football players refer to themselves as warriors and going to battle.... It has nothing to do with the competition and physicality of the sport, and everything to do with water bottles.

Thanks for that. I admit I posted spontaneously and without any research. :eek:

Reaction Score
The correct answer is it is a TSA rule that no more than 3 ounces may be brought onto the field unless it is in a see through bottle held by someone other than the drinker.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking it's to keep the sweat cooties to a minimum. Can you imagine the sweat from 30 players being mixed together? :eek:

Reaction Score
This is the smartest thing I have read on the boneyard in a while. :)

Reaction Score
conspiracy-keanu-blank2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate