OT: What's Next? Our Language Evolves. | The Boneyard

OT: What's Next? Our Language Evolves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As I watched Olympic beach volleyball, th announcer credited Kerri Walsh-Jennings for a winning tip into "no-woman's-land." What's next?

We are stuck with "guys" playing "man-to-man defense" but many options remain open:

Personhole covers?

Sportswomanship?

US Navy ships are referred to affectionately as "she" but occasionally one is respectfully called a "man-o-war." I wish they could make up their minds.:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They'll probably have to change the name of the place where the military pilots sit one of these days.
Why - a cockpit is where chickens fight - you think the men don't like being called fighting chickens? :cool:

Reaction Score
I suggest that the 'man' in the supposedly gender-specific term 'manhole' refers to MANUAL rather than males. Why not call manholes 'mechanical / utility access points'? How about 'team player' rather than 'sportsmanship' - both terms imply the same meaning without a silly emphasis on male shipness.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I suggest that the 'man' in the supposedly gender-specific term 'manhole' refers to MANUAL rather than males. Why not call manholes 'mechanical / utility access points'? How about 'team player' rather than 'sportsmanship' - both terms imply the same meaning without a silly emphasis on male shipness.
welcome to the Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25