OT: What was your favorite Super Bowl food? | The Boneyard

OT: What was your favorite Super Bowl food?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We always try to have something tied to the game, be it one of the teams or the location of the game, whichever seems most interesting. Seeing as neither Minnesota nor New England are known for cuisine, it was a no-brainer for us to choose the Roast Pork Italian Special sandwich as our featured item for yesterday's game.

We love the sandwich and Mrs. 8893 has learned to make a reasonable homemade version. No one would mistake it for one from one of the classic Philly sandwich joints (Tony Luke's is the best I've had...so far), but it's a nice sandwich. The only problem last night was that I ate so much other crap before the main course that I was already stuffed to the gills and barely enjoyed it (and certainly didn't need it by the time I ate it).

I had wanted Buffalo wings that we buy locally, but guests said they wanted to bring their own. They were decent but not meaty enough, and not as good as the ones I wanted.

Which led me exactly where I feared I'd be, which was hovering over the Buffalo chicken dip like I was wearing ear straps. I begged my wife not to make it because I knew I'd have a problem with it, and sure enough I gorged on so much of it that I felt sick all night and still do now. That was obviously my favorite Super Bowl food, but now I am paying mightily for it.

Curious to hear what others had that they liked, or didn't. Always trying to improve for next year.

Reaction Score
We don't have any tradition, but last night, Dolphin pizza with some seafood on it. We were all blown away. I might have to get myself one today to get over the Super Bowl loss.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm on an extreme diet for 8 weeks. No booze, and damned little food. None of which is particularly enjoyable. Sticking to that on Superbowl Sunday was a challenge. The results are real though. Just over six weeks left.

Normally, I'm with you that buffalo chicken dip done right is just about the perfect food. I love that stuff.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My buddies fiance made buffalo chicken dip. I had to sit on the other side of the room as to not fully embarrass myself and finish it before all the guests arrived.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Didn't go to a party, but made a tray of nachos for dinner. Layer of Santitas covered with olives, black beans, onion, copious amounts of chicken, jalapenos, cheese, and scallions. Guac, sour cream, and salsa on the side. The only thing that could have made them better is a layer of cheese under all the toppings as well. I also heated up some taquitos. Typically we make some buffalo chicken dip, but it was unnecessary with the nachos and only the 4 of us.

Reaction Score
Nachos with tons of cheese, ground beef and sauteed onions, jalapeños, refried beans.
Micro brew Beer
Pizza with grilled BBQ chicken, onions, sweet pepper

That alone is just perfect. MAYBE a chili dog, maybe.

Reaction Score
We always try to have something tied to the game, be it one of the teams or the location of the game, whichever seems most interesting. Seeing as neither Minnesota nor New England are known for cuisine, it was a no-brainer for us to choose the Roast Pork Italian Special sandwich as our featured item for yesterday's game.

We love the sandwich and Mrs. 8893 has learned to make a reasonable homemade version. No one would mistake it for one from one of the classic Philly sandwich joints (Tony Luke's is the best I've had...so far), but it's a nice sandwich. The only problem last night was that I ate so much other crap before the main course that I was already stuffed to the gills and barely enjoyed it (and certainly didn't need it by the time I ate it).

I had wanted Buffalo wings that we buy locally, but guests said they wanted to bring their own. They were decent but not meaty enough, and not as good as the ones I wanted.

Which led me exactly where I feared I'd be, which was hovering over the Buffalo chicken dip like I was wearing ear straps. I begged my wife not to make it because I knew I'd have a problem with it, and sure enough I gorged on so much of it that I felt sick all night and still do now. That was obviously my favorite Super Bowl food, but now I am paying mightily for it.

Curious to hear what others had that they liked, or didn't. Always trying to improve for next year.

Check out John's Roast Pork next time you're in Philly, amazing stuff

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I wouldve lent you my deli slicer. You shouldve asked. need it for the true roast port experience.

I didnt use it. I dont celebrate the SuperBowl havent in years. Watched the cooking channelf "Best thing Ive ever eaten" for most of the game. I do relish the Pats loss though.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We had homemade dirt style wings that were pretty darn good, and then two briskets--one Jewish style and one BBQ. Besides that there was seven layer dip, buff chick dip, and then the standard stuff like chips and guac. It was all great, but I had some sort of virus so I had to retire upstairs to sleep by 9 or so

Reaction Score
I made "disco tots".

Take frozen tater tots, coats them in wing sauce, parmesan and fresh garlic. Cook as directed until crispy and carmelized. Serve with blue cheese and celery.

Reaction Score
First time we've been home for the Super Bowl in a few years, so I did what I did last time -- one ten pound bag of wings and a deep fryer. The biggest hit are always the garlic parmesan, but I also did buffalo, bbq and teriyaki (last two for the kids). Whole thing happened on short notice so I didn't have time to make homemade blue cheese dressing or buffalo sauce, so I cut some Frank's buffalo sauce with a little Deamland BBQ sauce, and put a second cook on the wings after saucing them.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I made "disco tots".

Take frozen tater tots, coats them in wing sauce, parmesan and fresh garlic. Cook as directed until crispy and carmelized. Serve with blue cheese and celery.

Interesting.

Not a bad idea.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
We love the Asian drummies I make. I cut whole wings into drummies. Floured and buttered then baked for 40 minutes. To the slow cooker where hoisin and chili garlic sauce is mixed in. 90 minutes on low.

We eat them like tic tacs.

Reaction Score
We love the Asian drummies I make. I cut whole wings into drummies. Floured and buttered then baked for 40 minutes. To the slow cooker where hoisin and chili garlic sauce is mixed in. 90 minutes on low.

We eat them like tic tacs.

Slow cooker wings are a notch above slow cooker ribs on the scale of flabby meat I just can't get excited about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Slow cooker wings are a notch above slow cooker ribs on the scale of flabby meat I just can't get excited about.
Mrs. CL82 makes a good pulled pork slow cooked 8 hours in the crock pot. It is delicious.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
10 edits later finally got a pic of my pork that'll fit.
IMG_2251.JPG

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
First time we've been home for the Super Bowl in a few years, so I did what I did last time -- one ten pound bag of wings and a deep fryer. The biggest hit are always the garlic parmesan, but I also did buffalo, bbq and teriyaki (last two for the kids). Whole thing happened on short notice so I didn't have time to make homemade blue cheese dressing or buffalo sauce, so I cut some Frank's buffalo sauce with a little Deamland BBQ sauce, and put a second cook on the wings after saucing them.

Sounds awesome. How do you make your blue cheese dressing and wing sauces?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
You've mentioned this before. These wings maintain a crunch from the baking.

Reaction Score
Sounds awesome. How do you make your blue cheese dressing and wing sauces?

Blue Cheese:

1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tbsp worchestershire
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 cup of blue cheese -- do not use the pre-crumbled crap. Find something decent in the deli case and crumble it yourself with a small paring knife.

It needs to sit in the fridge for a day before eating.

I need to actually read the buffalo recipe as I don't remember it offhand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom