OT: What happened to the stock market on Friday..? | The Boneyard

OT: What happened to the stock market on Friday..?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I wrote this for clients today and thought some on the BY might be interested. :)

In numerical terms, the Dow went down 666 points (2.54%) and the S&P 500 fell 60 points (2.12%). The Dow finished the trading day at 25,521 or 1,096 points below the all-time high set very recently. For the week, the Dow went down slightly over 4%. The S&P 500, which is a bigger basket of stocks than the 30 in the Dow, fell 111 points for the week or 3.85%. Almost every stock, in every industry, went down anywhere from 1%-5%. It was program selling, panic selling and “run for the exits” selling all lumped into one miserable trading day. So why so much selling, so suddenly?

1. Because stock markets normally sell off and this one hadn’t in a long time. Despite recent experience, stock prices usually don’t go straight up, and up, and up... Some news event or bad earnings report will normally take down a stock that had been performing well. Investors will sell on the bad news, book their profit and buy something that they think will move up in price, better than the stock they sold. Sometimes this happens in an industry, like energy or health care, and sometimes the whole market sells off. This bull market had been 448 days without a 3% correction. That was a record. Sooner or later, a bunch of investors will decide to take some profit and sell some stock. Friday was that day.

2. Selling results in more selling. Friday started out as a 150 point loss on the Dow. As stocks came down in price, stop losses and sell triggers were hit. More sales resulted. The 150 point loss turned into 300 points and more selling resulted. By the end of the day, the Dow was down 666 points and only the closing bell at 4 pm stopped the carnage.

3. Investors are scared the Fed will raise interest rates 4 times this year. Bonds are normally a safer investment alternative to stocks. They pay interest and when they mature, you get your money back. Stocks don’t guarantee anything. You might double your money or lose it all. For the last half dozen years, the Fed has kept interest near zero. That is good for consumers buying cars or homes, but lousy for investors looking for safe bonds in which to park their hard earned savings. The Fed has started moving short-term rates higher and the fear is they will raise rates 4 times this year. The 10 year U.S. Treasury hit a four year high of 2.85% on Friday morning. Investors are scared two things will happen if the Fed raises rates too fast. One, more people will sell stocks and put their money in safer bonds. Two, higher rates will kill economic growth because borrowing to buy anything will be more expensive. That will impact corporate earnings, and therefore stock prices.

4. Several big-name stocks had “bad” earnings reports. In their Thursday evening earnings report, Apple announced they sold 77 million iPhones. Sounds good, right? Well, Wall Street expected 80 million and better numbers from the newest iPhone X. Apple’s stock price fell 4.34% on Friday and finished the week down 11%. Google had the same kind of earnings report. Good numbers weren’t good enough and the stock price dropped 5.28%. Some investors looked at APPL and GOOGL falling out of bed and lost hope for a buy the dip rally Friday afternoon. The only other option was selling.

The drop in the Dow was the 9th largest point decline in history. But, it was only the 697th largest percentage decline. In other words, a 3% correction when the market is at 26,000 looks a lot worse than a 3% correction at 15,000. Since the election in November, stock prices have rallied relentlessly. Apple, despite the 11% fall last week, is still up 48% in the last year and a half. Home Depot is up 61% since the election, despite a 3% drop Friday. Days like Friday are painful, but normal. There may be more selling on Monday or a Buy the Dip Rally later in the day or week. No one knows for sure until the market opens and the buying/selling begins.

One thing is certain. In the history of the stock market, every correction, whether 3% or 20%, has been followed by a rally to a new all-time record. It is a matter of patience and discipline. Owning quality equities has been very profitable in the long run. The economy is in better shape than it has been in a while and the Fed hasn’t raised rates 4 times yet. It may be best to relax and take a hint from the next wave of earnings coming next week. Over 100 S&P 500 companies will report, including Bristol-Myers, Disney, Allergan, CVS, General Motors, Nvidia, Toyota, Michael Kors, Chipotle and Tesla. Good news may bring back the buyers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The stat of the year...697th largest percentage decline!!! Where did you get that?
Anyway, I thought an underlying catalyst for declining markets was the labor market report which reported faster than expected job growth and wages finally starting to move up. All of that is potentially inflationary...thus , as you mentioned , the higher 10 year. The bond market could get much worse than the stock market.

Reaction Score
Gundlach predicted a month ago that if the 30-year crossed 3%, it was all over for the stock market. Friday, it crossed 3%. BTW, Gundlach also predicted that the S&P would end 2018 lower than where it started. just sayin'

So many exogenous concerns, and of course we are in completely unprecedented times with central banks printing money faster than we can spend it and (legally and not so legally) buying ETFs to pump-prime a global economy still trying to figure out how this Third (robots and the internet of everything) Industrial Revolution is going to work. There is no economic theory that adequately explains where we are right now or where we're headed. UConn WCBB is a much surer bet!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I wrote this for clients today and thought some on the BY might be interested. :)

In numerical terms, the Dow went down 666 points (2.54%) and the S&P 500 fell 60 points (2.12%). The Dow finished the trading day at 25,521 or 1,096 points below the all-time high set very recently. For the week, the Dow went down slightly over 4%. The S&P 500, which is a bigger basket of stocks than the 30 in the Dow, fell 111 points for the week or 3.85%. Almost every stock, in every industry, went down anywhere from 1%-5%. It was program selling, panic selling and “run for the exits” selling all lumped into one miserable trading day. So why so much selling, so suddenly?

1. Because stock markets normally sell off and this one hadn’t in a long time. Despite recent experience, stock prices usually don’t go straight up, and up, and up... Some news event or bad earnings report will normally take down a stock that had been performing well. Investors will sell on the bad news, book their profit and buy something that they think will move up in price, better than the stock they sold. Sometimes this happens in an industry, like energy or health care, and sometimes the whole market sells off. This bull market had been 448 days without a 3% correction. That was a record. Sooner or later, a bunch of investors will decide to take some profit and sell some stock. Friday was that day.

2. Selling results in more selling. Friday started out as a 150 point loss on the Dow. As stocks came down in price, stop losses and sell triggers were hit. More sales resulted. The 150 point loss turned into 300 points and more selling resulted. By the end of the day, the Dow was down 666 points and only the closing bell at 4 pm stopped the carnage.

3. Investors are scared the Fed will raise interest rates 4 times this year. Bonds are normally a safer investment alternative to stocks. They pay interest and when they mature, you get your money back. Stocks don’t guarantee anything. You might double your money or lose it all. For the last half dozen years, the Fed has kept interest near zero. That is good for consumers buying cars or homes, but lousy for investors looking for safe bonds in which to park their hard earned savings. The Fed has started moving short-term rates higher and the fear is they will raise rates 4 times this year. The 10 year U.S. Treasury hit a four year high of 2.85% on Friday morning. Investors are scared two things will happen if the Fed raises rates too fast. One, more people will sell stocks and put their money in safer bonds. Two, higher rates will kill economic growth because borrowing to buy anything will be more expensive. That will impact corporate earnings, and therefore stock prices.

4. Several big-name stocks had “bad” earnings reports. In their Thursday evening earnings report, Apple announced they sold 77 million iPhones. Sounds good, right? Well, Wall Street expected 80 million and better numbers from the newest iPhone X. Apple’s stock price fell 4.34% on Friday and finished the week down 11%. Google had the same kind of earnings report. Good numbers weren’t good enough and the stock price dropped 5.28%. Some investors looked at APPL and GOOGL falling out of bed and lost hope for a buy the dip rally Friday afternoon. The only other option was selling.

The drop in the Dow was the 9th largest point decline in history. But, it was only the 697th largest percentage decline. In other words, a 3% correction when the market is at 26,000 looks a lot worse than a 3% correction at 15,000. Since the election in November, stock prices have rallied relentlessly. Apple, despite the 11% fall last week, is still up 48% in the last year and a half. Home Depot is up 61% since the election, despite a 3% drop Friday. Days like Friday are painful, but normal. There may be more selling on Monday or a Buy the Dip Rally later in the day or week. No one knows for sure until the market opens and the buying/selling begins.

One thing is certain. In the history of the stock market, every correction, whether 3% or 20%, has been followed by a rally to a new all-time record. It is a matter of patience and discipline. Owning quality equities has been very profitable in the long run. The economy is in better shape than it has been in a while and the Fed hasn’t raised rates 4 times yet. It may be best to relax and take a hint from the next wave of earnings coming next week. Over 100 S&P 500 companies will report, including Bristol-Myers, Disney, Allergan, CVS, General Motors, Nvidia, Toyota, Michael Kors, Chipotle and Tesla. Good news may bring back the buyers.
Thank you for taking the time to help us understand the vagaries of the markets. It is good for all of us to have such a varied and interesting group of posters on the BY

Reaction Score
I remember ever so clearly Black Monday in 1987. My friend who was a trust fund baby lost a half million dollars and joined the panic, adding massively to her losses. People who just stood pat regained their vanished values and more within 2 1/2 years. And those who invested a few dollars on the following Tuesday morning made out awesomely well.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Dave, you have a very clear way of explaining these things. Somewhat a of a newbie to investment matters, I had figured all this out on my own before your post, but you have consolidated and validated my thoughts. Thanks. I could have saved some effort and just waited for your post.

Last edited:

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thanks, David!

666 - hmmmm, that`s a bit devilish :eek: (Was also the low for the S&P 500 in March 2009)

I`m old enough to remember October 19, 1987 all too well, when the Dow dropped 508 points - 158 less than yesterday, but way, way worse - that was a drop of 22.61%!! Even with that, the market recovered fairly soon, as I recall........

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gundlach predicted a month ago that if the 30-year crossed 3%, it was all over for the stock market. Friday, it crossed 3%. BTW, Gundlach also predicted that the S&P would end 2018 lower than where it started. just sayin'

So many exogenous concerns, and of course we are in completely unprecedented times with central banks printing money faster than we can spend it and (legally and not so legally) buying ETFs to pump-prime a global economy still trying to figure out how this Third (robots and the internet of everything) Industrial Revolution is going to work. There is no economic theory that adequately explains where we are right now or where we're headed. UConn WCBB is a much surer bet!
All so right. And that doesn't take into account the virtual Bitcoin market (fallacy) where it seems a bowl of spit is worth a million dollars.

Reaction Score
I heard it was triggered by the Friday morning's report of solid jobs and wage growth, which stoked fears of interest rate hikes and inflation. The markets certainly could use a breather after adding more than 35% since November of 2016.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Thanks, David!

666 - hmmmm, that`s a bit devilish :eek: (Was also the low for the S&P 500 in March 2009)

I`m old enough to remember October 19, 1987 all too well, when the Dow dropped 508 points - 158 less than yesterday, but way, way worse - that was a drop of 22.61%!! Even with that, the market recovered fairly soon, as I recall...

15 months to recover, but it seemed a long time at the time.

Reaction Score
Good read. As you said it was going to happen sooner or later. As long as the companies in my holdings keep paying dividends I don't care if their price is $50 of $40. In the end the market will rise, corrections happen. DO NOT PANIC. If you cash out, when are you jumping back in? You can miss the rebound.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Good read. As you said it was going to happen sooner or later. As long as the companies in my holdings keep paying dividends I don't care if their price is $50 of $40. In the end the market will rise, corrections happen. DO NOT PANIC. If you cash out, when are you jumping back in? You can miss the rebound.
Everyone's goals are different. So are the ages of the people investing.

I was in my 30's during Black Monday of 87. I was in my 40's during the Dot Com crash of 2000. I was in my 50's during the 2008 recession crash. Now I am in my 60's and have built up enough to last me probably until I am 90 or so(if I make it that far.) I dont call it panic, I call it preserve my assets and look for safer investments.

Futures look like another down start to the market as I post this the Dow is down -163 points(with fair value the implied open is -221) S & P Down -12 with the implied fair value open down -18. NASDAQ Down -21 with fair value the implied open is down- 33.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom