OT: What a total mess at Grambling | The Boneyard

OT: What a total mess at Grambling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Players refuse to board buses for their game tomorrow....

LINK

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The players want to control who the coach is and how they travel to games.

The school claims that they are not letting the students run the school, although they did fire the interim head coach. Unfortunately, the students want the previously terminated head coach reinstated. School says no.

Yech.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wonder who is orchestrating the players. Don't believe the players are doing this on their own.

Reaction Score
It is pretty sad that these players may end up losing their scholoarships and a free education. I'm not sure if a new weight room floor and better meals is worth it. Bus rides to games is probably just a budget issue. I can only guess that when they go to these larger schools to play and see their facilities they get a little jealous. Has anyone heard anything like safety issues(possibly weight room floor), physical intimidation or any other unethical treatment of the players? Hope it works out for all concerned.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I suspect, reno tony, that those issues are more smoke than fire: the mid-season dismissal of the head coach is a much bigger flag, and much more of an issue, I'd guess, than the issues you cite.

Reaction Score
I suspect, reno tony, that those issues are more smoke than fire: the mid-season dismissal of the head coach is a much bigger flag, and much more of an issue, I'd guess, than the issues you cite.
You are probably right. It seems the ones I listed from the article don't seem worthy enough to lose a scholarship. I certainly respect someone that stands up for their principles. But, if the article is accurate, Williams isn't coming back and the players need to get over it and move on. They made their point and hopefully it won't cost them too much in the form of punishment. I just find this such a sad story.

Reaction Score
Reportedly they had 15 hour bus rides to games. If you get jet-lag after a 4 or 5 hour flight, what do you have after a 15 hour bus ride ?

Update 2: ESPN reports trips to KC and Indy. The players were upset by the conditions of the locker-room, and weight room. Apparently they were dirty, and had mold.

Reaction Score
Reportedly they had 15 hour bus rides to games. If you get jet-lag after a 4 or 5 hour flight, what do you have after a 15 hour bus ride ?

Update 2: ESPN reports trips to KC and Indy. The players were upset by the conditions of the locker-room, and weight room. Apparently they were dirty, and had mold.

Yes, I think there is some level of exaageration, although those two bus rides are definitely long - probably close to 9 hours of actual driving time to KC and 11 hours to Indy.

Reaction Score
Bus rides to games is probably just a budget issue. I can only guess that when they go to these larger schools to play and see their facilities they get a little jealous.

As mentioned above, the main issue is definitely the firing of the coach. Grambling has a low budget but so do all the teams they play, so I doubt they are jealous of other facilities. Grambling, in fact, has a budget that is a bit larger than the average team in their conference.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
What a conundrum for the administration and coaching staff. Seems to me that the players, however well intentioned their motive, have caused the college some real harm - there will be potentially major financial consequences of forfeiting the game. Most of the players, I presume, have some level of scholarship and as such, have broken a contract with the school. What should the consequences be?

Closer to home, did anyone hear the National Public Radio story on Friday the 18th on UMass' troubles making the transition to Division 1 in football?

Reaction Score
Grambling, don't forget, is part of the Louisiana's state educational system. I think if you want to understand what's going on, this is a good place to start, as reported by SI: "Since 2007-08, overall state funding for Grambling has gone from $31.6 million to $13.8 million."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, that state funding is at the center of the issue.

Reaction Score
Wonder who is orchestrating the players. Don't believe the players are doing this on their own.

FWIW - The QB's father was the fired coach (Doug Williams).

Not that their complaints don't have merit.

Reaction Score
the Doug Williams?

Yup...

>>In a text message to the USA Today, former coach Doug Williams, who was fired Sept. 11, said he was “proud of them boys. They took a stance.”

A member of the Grambling football program told The Times that if Williams was still coaching, he believed the team would have played and practiced this week.

“All (Doug Williams) would have to do is flick his finger, and those players would be here,” the source said.<<

Reaction Score
Grambling Football. There was a time in the late 60's-early 70's when the only program placing more players in the NFL than Grambling was Notre Dame; Before big money, an acceptance of integration in the southern universities, and overall acceptance throughout all of college football. Back when one watched the game and the halftime show. While no one would advocate a return to the way things used to be, what many do not realize is how much suffering there is/was among thriving, successful black institutions and businesses as a result of integration. It seems that those who fought hardest against it have benefitted most from it. Alabama, sight of George Wallace's famous doorway stand against integration, is in line to win its third national championship. Auburn, LSU, Florida, Florida State, Georgia; Among many powerhouses today that id not recruit black ballplayers 50 years ago.

FWIW: How many among us have endured round trip bus rides of 15 hours each way? It is also difficult to fathom a poster suggesting that the driving times to Kansas City and Indianapolis are a bit of exaggeration.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
FWIW, when Vivian was inducted into the WBB Hall of Fame over 10 years ago, we attended her private party where she was "roasted" by old friends and John Cheney.

At that time the state of affairs at Cheney State was discussed. Here you had a school where athletics were never well financed, but, like Grambling, it reached a point where the entire school was having issues.

Continuing VAUConnFan's point, it is no longer popular for black students in general to go to HBCUs. In fact, when one of RU's players said that, had she not been able to go to RU she would have attended a HBCU, she was soundly criticized.

Of course these problems are not, unfortunately, limited to just a small selection of colleges.

Reaction Score
Grambling Football. There was a time in the late 60's-early 70's when the only program placing more players in the NFL than Grambling was Notre Dame.
As a football fan old enough to remember that era, it is hard for me to remember one player from Grambling. What was your source for that statement?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As a football fan old enough to remember that era, it is hard for me to remember one player from Grambling.
Willlie Brown (Raiders)
Buck Buchanan (Chiefs)
Willie Davis (Packers)
James Harris (Bills/Rams) - 1st black starting QB
Charlie Joiner (Chargers)
Billy Newsome (Colts)
Woody Peoples (49ers)
Everson Walls (Cowboys)
Doug Williams (Bucs) - only black QB to win Superbowl

Ring any bells?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Grambling, don't forget, is part of the Louisiana's state educational system. I think if you want to understand what's going on, this is a good place to start, as reported by SI: "Since 2007-08, overall state funding for Grambling has gone from $31.6 million to $13.8 million."

:eek:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
What a golden job opportunity!! Recruiting coordinator for Grambling State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom