OT: Weekend's Golf | The Boneyard

OT: Weekend's Golf

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Torrey Pines Farmer's Open. A now 2 player play off continues this morning involving Jason Day and Noren (who?). I tried to take in some of the telecast yesterday and gave up after 3 holes. You see, this was Tiger Woods first tourney in a year and it was on one of his fav courses: he's won 8 times there. The telecast was a mind numbing lets follow Tiger and talk almost exclusively Tiger fest, including lots of time watching Tiger sit on the ground at a grouping pile up on a par 3 tee (forget that the leaders were playing the green at the time). Ridiculous. He finished 7 back tied with 5 others for 23rd. First tourney finished by Tiger in 2 years. I get it, but was way over done and a good way to insult the players who are actually carrying the game.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
That's how it was for over a decade until around 2008. Their ratings were way higher when he was playing, especially if he was contending. So they are going back to that formula. Also worth noting that a lot of big names were not there and the only big name at the top was Jason Day.

There is so much great young talent in the game today, I hope it doesn't get marginalized by the Tiger watch. But if he actually does get to the point where he can compete for titles, especially majors, a big if, then the networks will make it all about Tiger. This weekend it was much about him when he was middle of the pack! He expands the viewer base like no one else.

His short game saved him. He can still bomb it but he was never the most accurate off the tee and he was spraying it, I think they said he hit 19 fairways total.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Torrey Pines Farmer's Open. A now 2 player play off continues this morning involving Jason Day and Noren (who?).

Noren is #19 ranked in the world, but mostly plays on the Euro tour. I was recently reminded of his existence by watching a replay of the final round of last year's Open where he finished T6. He's definitely one of those Euros I totally forget about in between majors.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
His short game saved him. He can still bomb it but he was never the most accurate off the tee and he was spraying it, I think they said he hit 19 fairways total.

He hit 6 fairways in his last 2 rounds. Yes, his short game was remarkable for having been away so long, but the fairways are an issue which will loom larger when the PGA plays a tournament where the first cut of rough is really rough. The course was really kind to everyone this past week and only the weather conditions tightened up the field imo.

The inconsistency of his long game may reflect physical limitations which have driven him to an overactive shoulders and arms.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Torrey Pines Farmer's Open. A now 2 player play off continues this morning involving Jason Day and Noren (who?). I tried to take in some of the telecast yesterday and gave up after 3 holes. You see, this was Tiger Woods first tourney in a year and it was on one of his fav courses: he's won 8 times there. The telecast was a mind numbing lets follow Tiger and talk almost exclusively Tiger fest, including lots of time watching Tiger sit on the ground at a grouping pile up on a par 3 tee (forget that the leaders were playing the green at the time). Ridiculous. He finished 7 back tied with 5 others for 23rd. First tourney finished by Tiger in 2 years. I get it, but was way over done and a good way to insult the players who are actually carrying the game.

I watched it sporadically this weekend mostly for the course. I've played Torry Pines several times but the tournament setup is a lot different than normal play.I certainly didn't watch it because of Woods. Right now he's an irrelevant "used to be" sort of like UTenn WCBB.

That doesn't mean I don't want to see him succeed. A competitive Woods is good for the tour.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Noren is #19 ranked in the world, but mostly plays on the Euro tour. I was recently reminded of his existence by watching a replay of the final round of last year's Open where he finished T6. He's definitely one of those Euros I totally forget about in between majors.
Noren looks VERY strong.

Jason Day has now won 2x at Torrey Pines. You have to pass through 2 on the way to 8.

This June will mark the 10-year anniversary of Tiger's U.S. Open win at Torrey Pines on a broken leg. That was his most recent major. It's been a long time. I'll be at Shinnecock in June for the Thursday and Friday rounds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom