OT - Was recently asked to be an asst coach | The Boneyard

OT - Was recently asked to be an asst coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's one parent exasperated that there is such a thing as 6th grade AAU. Just fondly remembering a day when youth sports was about kids, and not parents trying to take a 2d bite of the apple.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
???

Feel like you are throwing a barb my way - not sure why?

It is about my daughter - she has passion for BB and there are no other leagues to play now that Middle School and travel BB has ended.

She was asked to play on a team by her Middle School BB coach - has nothing to do with me.

http://www.csavelocity.com/

If I interpreted wrong my bad - if I didn't - WOW - who pee'd in your cheerios?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So glad my son is now in HS sports and I can stay completely out of it.

Reaction Score
AAU is fine as long as you have a coach who is willing to develop the players, not line his/her pockets or get the best sponsorship deal. A coach I knew growing up has created a grassroots program over the last decade for students in grades 5-12 which has produced collegiate players from d3 up to high major programs and all conference players at all collegiate levels.

He takes the money that comes in and puts it towards the youth center in our town, the outdoor courts, and the inside courts, as well as clinics for all kids in the area and a speaker series with current and former professional athletes and coaches. Additionally, his teams perform community service and his high school kids staff the local youth center and participate in free clinics for the local YMCA and other organizations.

He does things the right way and his program gives back. If you are lucky enough to find one of these programs, you are in good shape. If my son is passionate about basketball, I would have no problem enrolling him in this program because I've seen what he does for his kids and how much they benefit from his program.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't AAU. The problem is some of the coaches involved with AAU. Stay away from them, and your experience should be positive.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Whatever. I played travel hockey starting in first grade. Schedule was ridiculous. Played some six AM games at Conn College after having to drive from Hartford. Played in Lake Placid. Played in negative 5 degrees outdoor at Westminster School at 5am in January.

I played because I loved it, not because my dad made me so I could get a college scholly or go to the NHL.

I don't see a problem.

Reaction Score
???

Feel like you are throwing a barb my way - not sure why?

It is about my daughter - she has passion for BB and there are no other leagues to play now that Middle School and travel BB has ended.

She was asked to play on a team by her Middle School BB coach - has nothing to do with me.

http://www.csavelocity.com/

If I interpreted wrong my bad - if I didn't - WOW - who pee'd in your cheerios?

I could see you reading it that way; was no aimed at you. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate