OT: walking dead | The Boneyard

OT: walking dead

Reaction Score
Not an avid watcher but my son had me watching it last night and haven't seen it since mid-last season.......last night was okay I guess from my perspective. Guessing it wouldn't be as good for those caught up!

Much like Suits 1st one back this season, the opener sucked but the last couple have been moving at a great pace!!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Not much happened this episode... lots of talking.

Reaction Score
Why is there an "OT" in the post title? You mean this post isn't about UCONN basketball?

Reaction Score
Mediocre episode. Rick's zaniness (having visions etc.) is getting very annoying...

Reaction Score
Mediocre episode. Rick's zaniness (having visions etc.) is getting very annoying...

Not a fan at all. I was fine with it when *****SPOILER ALERT******** Lori died, but I hope this is not a permanent thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're drunk and stupid and drunk.

That was a great episode.

And, for starters, that was the first time Lori has made an appearance and not completely duck*ing annoyed me.

Reaction Score
Boy I disagree, I turned the show off a couple episodes into season 2 and then got back on last season and it was enjoyable. The new episode seemed to steer right back into the stupidity curve with internal debates about keeping or killing folks (Merle, New Tyrone & group). Then they created obvious 'bad seed' rebellions for post acceptance when they showed the new group prison folk having two members wanting to plan a coup. Lots of problems, but the biggest were;
1. You can't attack a fort and then jettison your best warrior before returning home to brace for the retalitory attack. Just can't, obviously needed to keep both Dixon brothers to fight off the governor.
2. Likewise, simple play to tell the newbie prison group that they are needed to fight off the upcoming invasion = prove your mettle and then we'll consider adding you. With one other able bodied man Rick had no choice.

When the show ignores incredibly obvious 'survive first' decision making and steers into morality it is forgetting what it is. It is a survival action show with lots of zombie killing. I don't give a crap if the characters have trust issues and operate with or without a moral compass, but I do care if they make obviously stupid decisions that make zero sense for surviving. That makes me too aware that its just a dumb show and they'll fend off the invaders regardless because they are the main characters.

I give an 'A' for the Glenn zombie head stomp though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
When the show ignores incredibly obvious 'survive first' decision making and steers into morality it is forgetting what it is. It is a survival action show with lots of zombie killing. I don't give a crap if the characters have trust issues and operate with or without a moral compass, but I do care if they make obviously stupid decisions that make zero sense for surviving. That makes me too aware that its just a dumb show and they'll fend off the invaders regardless because they are the main characters.

I give an 'A' for the Glenn zombie head stomp though.
You are kind of missing half the show. It's not just a zombie survival show, it's also a morality play. And the comparison of the two apocalyptic world views. Which makes it much more realistic and much more interesting/entertaining. It allows not only for character development, but also for character change. How does good become bad, how does bad become good. Good people doing bad things, bad people doing good things. Who's really good and who's really bad? As would happen in a apocalyptic world.Otherwise it would just be survive or not. But now it's not only survive or not, but at what cost. As a group and individually. With each person having to decide what that cost is. Or for some letting someone decide for them. Much more interesting.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
From what I have heard about the comics, you better get used to it. I've heard it's a big story line in the comics. Not sure how much of it will make it into the show.

But if you think about it, it would almost be insane for Rick not to have some problems in this area. And with trust issues (for those questioning his refusal of Tyreese's help, which I don't think he was doing when he was yelling "get out" - I think that was directed at Lori's ghost). Rick had his best friend and wife sleeping with each other. Granted they thought he was dead, but still a month or so after his death?? Where's the Bro code? Every time he trusts someone, Shane, Lori, the prisoners, bad things happen. And just now, Daryl walks out on him. Which ever decisions he seems to make, costs him (people he's supposed to protect). That's going to lay pretty heavy on him. Go back and get the guns, lose Amy/Jim/etc.; got to CDC, lose Jacqie; leave Sophia, we know how that turned out; let Carl stay with him, Carl gets shot; bring back Randall; ends up getting Dale killed and killing his best friend, which pretty much kills his marriage; let's the prisoners live, loses T-Dog and his wife and now he's stuck with a baby that's probably not his. Go rescue Glenn and Maggie, and Oscar gets killed and he loses his right hand man. And starts a war that they don't have much of a chance to win. In real life (not TV), that would %&#$ you up royally. And you wonder why the character is losing it???

I realize it's a TV show, but I think they try to do a decent job of keeping it realistic (at least character wise) as possible considering it's a zombie apocalypse. (I know why are you driving a load motorcycle when sound attracts walkers??)

Reaction Score
You are kind of missing half the show. It's not just a zombie survival show, it's also a morality play. And the comparison of the two apocalyptic world views. Which makes it much more realistic and much more interesting/entertaining. It allows not only for character development, but also for character change. How does good become bad, how does bad become good. Good people doing bad things, bad people doing good things. Who's really good and who's really bad? As would happen in a apocalyptic world.Otherwise it would just be survive or not. But now it's not only survive or not, but at what cost. As a group and individually. With each person having to decide what that cost is. Or for some letting someone decide for them. Much more interesting.
I'm not missing that at all, I just thing they've historically done a very poor job at that due to bad acting and bad writing. Therefore I think the show is better when they mostly avoid that and concentrate on action. For example they have no idea what Michone is thinking so they just keep her quiet but effectively play her chess piece as a sword wielding bad-.

If they really want to go for the morality play they could THINK of something to do with respect to newcomers as opposed to continually debating between only kill, let loose, accept. The fact that they have the exact same debate about everyone who strolls into their group and haven't devised a test or any system for dealing with this tells me the characters/writers aren't really thinking about this. Its kind of moral hazard to keep repeating the same mistake, so you simply can't buy that the characters are truly debating the issue. They (show runners) are just continually re-using it to illustrate that they are all zombie killers. I get it, just need some different spin or thought to make it at all interesting or entertaining.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm not missing that at all, I just thing they've historically done a very poor job at that due to bad acting and bad writing. Therefore I think the show is better when they mostly avoid that and concentrate on action. For example they have no idea what Michone is thinking so they just keep her quiet but effectively play her chess piece as a sword wielding bad-.

If they really want to go for the morality play they could THINK of something to do with respect to newcomers as opposed to continually debating between only kill, let loose, accept. The fact that they have the exact same debate about everyone who strolls into their group and haven't devised a test or any system for dealing with this tells me the characters/writers aren't really thinking about this. Its kind of moral hazard to keep repeating the same mistake, so you simply can't buy that the characters are truly debating the issue. They (show runners) are just continually re-using it to illustrate that they are all zombie killers. I get it, just need some different spin or thought to make it at all interesting or entertaining.
Have to completely disagree with everything you said. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Have to completely disagree with everything you said. Sorry.
Hmm, even that they are too dim to write any dialogue for Michone?! Her not disclosing knowing Andrea (latest in long line of no dialogue for her) was inexplicable so they punted.

Where would you place the writing and thoughtfulness of WDead plot versus other AMC shows or cable series?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmm, even that they are too dim to write any dialogue for Michone?! Her not disclosing knowing Andrea (latest in long line of no dialogue for her) was inexplicable so they punted.
I think they could write her dialogue if they wanted her to speak more. They obviously do not. We may understand why she doesn't speak much later?? These same writers are quite capable of writing lots and lots of dialogue for other characters. Kirkman, who has quite a bit of say in this, might prefer her portrayed this way. Maybe something he was not able to do with the confines of comic pages???

Where would you place the writing and thoughtfulness of WDead plot versus other AMC shows or cable series?
The best I've ever seen. Hands down. Granted, I can't claim to have seen every show ever produced though. But it is the writing and character development/arcs that make this so different than any other I've ever seen. I give some (probably a lot of) credit to Kirkman for this though.

Reaction Score
C'mon, you aren't serious. Character development arcs! Describe this arc for Michone. Defend the Lori arc. Or the governor

Or watch Breaking Bad.

Reaction Score
C'mon, you aren't serious. Character development arcs! Describe this arc for Michone. Defend the Lori arc. Or the governor

Or watch Breaking Bad.

I am with you on Season 3, but the writing was fantastic in season 1 and 2 (to a lesser extent), in my opinion. I love the zombie premise, and the chance that one is going to come out of nowhere, but what sets this apart is the characters. I really liked the Shane/Rick/Lori storyline.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I'm serious, but obviously you can't be. :rolleyes:

Well the arc for Michonne is just starting. So far we have seen she isn't very open about herself. Even when she was with Andrea for 8 months, Andrea hardly knew anything about her. So she was in Woodbury for what a week? at most? And she's been with the prison people a couple days?? So I doubt she is going to be very open with them. Last time she was open at all, and built any kind of relationship was with Andrea and Andrea dumped her for a madman/lunatic. You really think she going to be all open and talkative in a a few days? Her story arc is just beginning. I imagine it will be that she will gradually open up and trust people again. Probably down the road (like season 4 or 5) become a valued member of Rick's group. Eventually becoming his #2. That's her arc. But it's just starting now.

Lori's arc was great. She pushed the Shane/Rick arc. She had her own dealing with her pregnancy. Her looking for redemption from her time with Shane. How her early mistakes caused her so much damage, even her death.

Look at Carol's or Daryl's changes. Or even Hershel or Carl.....fantastic.

Or watch Breaking Bad.

I've watched it a couple times, but it never really grabbed me. I have had quite a few people tell me it's very good so I may watch it, from the beginning, sometime.

Reaction Score
For me, The Walking Dead is a solid third amongst AMC's shows, behind Mad Men and Breaking Bad, in that order. The Killing was kinda boring but I hear it got pretty good, maybe I'll give it another go since they seemingly renewed it out of nowhere. Couldn't get into Hell on Wheels.

Anyway, if you haven't tried those other two (MM, BB), you really owe it to yourself to try them.

The Walking Dead certainly is well written at times, and I love the dichotomy between the character's morality and their survival, but things can get a little bogged down when it gets too heady. For me the show is best when the tension is high and I'm anxious about what might happen next.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For me, The Walking Dead is a solid third amongst AMC's shows, behind Mad Men and Breaking Bad, in that order. The Killing was kinda boring but I hear it got pretty good, maybe I'll give it another go since they seemingly renewed it out of nowhere. Couldn't get into Hell on Wheels.

Anyway, if you haven't tried those other two (MM, BB), you really owe it to yourself to try them.

The Walking Dead certainly is well written at times, and I love the dichotomy between the character's morality and their survival, but things can get a little bogged down when it gets too heady. For me the show is best when the tension is high and I'm anxious about what might happen next.
I can't see myself interested at all in Mad Men. But who know??? Maybe someday, when I'm completely bored. I really can't see anything about advertising interesting me at all.

Breaking Bad, yea I probably will get around to taking another look at that. Like I said, I did see a couple episodes of it, but it really didn't do much for me. But people really say it's good, so.....

My daughter swears by Sons of Anarchy, but I haven't watched that either. Maybe someday on that one too.

The morality vs survival is what really entices me about the Walking Dead. And how it demonstrates the good and bad in each person. And that most characters are not "safe".

Reaction Score
I can't see myself interested at all in Mad Men. But who know??? Maybe someday, when I'm completely bored. I really can't see anything about advertising interesting me at all.

Breaking Bad, yea I probably will get around to taking another look at that. Like I said, I did see a couple episodes of it, but it really didn't do much for me. But people really say it's good, so.....

My daughter swears by Sons of Anarchy, but I haven't watched that either. Maybe someday on that one too.

The morality vs survival is what really entices me about the Walking Dead. And how it demonstrates the good and bad in each person. And that most characters are not "safe".

Mad Men, although dealing directly in the advertising industry, is as much a morality play as any other show. The acting and writing of the show is as high a quality as you can get too. It will consistently just blow you out of the water, and it doesn't need guns, meth or zombies to do it. Give it a go.

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree.

Just heard this AM, that most media outlets report that showrunner Glenn Mazara was dismissed because this season 3.5 is a mess - I thought I saw signs of that in this recent episode.

With respect to Michone argument maybe they get to it, but I was super-curious after her awesome debut at the end of season 2 so I did my only comic digging. SPOILER ALERT - so come to find out that her walkers were a former boyfriend and I think her brother. Great and interesting angle! But not so interesting as portrayed on the show as they lopped their heads off before providing any of that backstory. And during her alleged 'opening up' to Andrea she never disclosed who the heck they were. A big missed character development moment foregone simply and literally for her continued sole function to swing a cool katama. Her non-speaking is inexplicable and done only to further action plot*. I'm fine with that, but it is what it is.

* I.e. If she explains knowing Andrea to Rick's group there are tons more questions and machinations about how or if to invade Woodbury. But its in her best interest to tell them b/c lying to people you need to survive is going to come back to bite you (ha). Unless lying sets up an upcoming plot device about whether or not to kick her to the curb.

Reaction Score
Mad Men, although dealing directly in the advertising industry, is as much a morality play as any other show. The acting and writing of the show is as high a quality as you can get too. It will consistently just blow you out of the water, and it doesn't need guns, meth or zombies to do it. Give it a go.
Agree. Mad Men is about who are we really both in the 'selling yourself' sense and the juxtaposition of 1960's mores versus today's seemingly more advanced society that really isn't all that different.

And its told some really true to life stories about why and how people do what they do and make good and bad decisions. And as a bonus it can be really funny. For a dive in I'd try the most recent season Roger LSD episode "Far Away Places". Other best episodes including my favorite "The Suitcase" require more knowledge and investment in the characters.

And absolutely, if you enjoy Walking Dead you'll enjoy Breaking Bad. BB is very much about morality vs survival just from an individual perspective. Shocking violence, edge of your seat suspense etc..

Reaction Score
As an aside, has any one played the Walking Dead game? I bought it last week and am only through the first episode, but its pretty interesting. A cool companion piece to the show and deals with some of the same characters even, although not in the same timeline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom