OT- Vince McMahon Is Bringing Back The XFL | The Boneyard

OT- Vince McMahon Is Bringing Back The XFL

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Football 're-imagined': Vince McMahon announces return of the XFL

The XFL, the short-lived and colorful alternative to the NFL, is returning to the field.

Nearly 20 years after the league's swift rise and fall, WWE chairman Vince McMahon announced that league would "re-imagine" football in 2020, promising a shorter, faster-paced and easier-to-understand game.

"We're gonna give the game back to the fans," said McMahon in a live announcement under the banner of Alpha Entertainment, a separate media company from the WWE.

The two-year wait before taking the field marks a more methodical approach after McMahon's first league was rushed onto the field in 2001. The new version will have eight teams, like the first XFL, with a 10-game schedule.

"We have two years now to really get it right," McMahon said.

It could be the right time for a rival to the NFL, which has suffered from sagging ratings and a storm of negative attention over player anthem protests at the start of the current season. But even as it lost 9 percent of the previous season's ratings, the league dominated with 37 of 2017's top 50 broadcasts.

McMahon said the NFL controversies had nothing to do with the XFL re-launch and the plan had been in place "for some time."

Any chance he puts a team in Hartford? Would be kind of fun to have in CT and the connection is obviously there

Reaction Score
Football 're-imagined': Vince McMahon announces return of the XFL

The XFL, the short-lived and colorful alternative to the NFL, is returning to the field.

Nearly 20 years after the league's swift rise and fall, WWE chairman Vince McMahon announced that league would "re-imagine" football in 2020, promising a shorter, faster-paced and easier-to-understand game.

"We're gonna give the game back to the fans," said McMahon in a live announcement under the banner of Alpha Entertainment, a separate media company from the WWE.

The two-year wait before taking the field marks a more methodical approach after McMahon's first league was rushed onto the field in 2001. The new version will have eight teams, like the first XFL, with a 10-game schedule.

"We have two years now to really get it right," McMahon said.

It could be the right time for a rival to the NFL, which has suffered from sagging ratings and a storm of negative attention over player anthem protests at the start of the current season. But even as it lost 9 percent of the previous season's ratings, the league dominated with 37 of 2017's top 50 broadcasts.

McMahon said the NFL controversies had nothing to do with the XFL re-launch and the plan had been in place "for some time."

Any chance he puts a team in Hartford? Would be kind of fun to have in CT and the connection is obviously there
Omg really

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
the season starts in february. this will be a southern league

I don’t think that makes it a southern league. February-early July isn’t much different weather wise than late August to early January, it’s just getting the cold weather games early season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If they don’t have replay, define a catch, keep the games moving...

I’m in.

Reaction Score
If they don’t have replay, define a catch, keep the games moving...

I’m in.
if they don't have replay then they cannot spend time reviewing the plays over and over again. with no commercials during gameplay it might not be a huge issue

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can't believe it I'm saying this, but I think I'd watched some of this...... best case scenario - could morph into a real B league for kids that don't want to bother with college (total long shot scenario - low odds - but I think conceivable).

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if they don't have replay then they cannot spend time reviewing the plays over and over again. with no commercials during gameplay it might not be a huge issue

Replay ruins sports. I’m not sure what you are saying.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see The Undertaker coach a team...the team will show up from the ground.

Will linebackers be able to hit the quarterback with a folding chair.

Reaction Score
I don’t think that makes it a southern league. February-early July isn’t much different weather wise than late August to early January, it’s just getting the cold weather games early season.

Not sure if the details have been finalized but the original XFL season was early February-late April. McMahon already said it would be a 10 game season so there's no way it can get into the summer months if they're playing every week. If they play every 2 weeks, then sure.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think by the end of the Super Bowl, most fans are footballed out. If there is a local team, I may take notice, but there is still the question of quality.

Reaction Score
Bring Back the Harford Colonials!
image.ashx

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would not bet against this league getting some traction. I watched the first iteration closely and the 30 for 30 shed light on some of the issues. Vince has had many years to reflect and figure out how to do it right. No wrestling crossover. No one with a record. No broken bodies on the field.

People forget he came up with the camera on the field and on a wire. If he promises innovation and a quicker game, he will pique interest quickly. Ultimately, the football has to be played at a decent level- and I bet he gets this league to ultimately become a minor league feeder system for the NFL.

Reaction Score
Tons of room for football in the spring. I’ll watch for sure. I think it will do well with the popularity football has gained.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom