OT- USF Lands 2 for 1 With Florida | The Boneyard

OT- USF Lands 2 for 1 With Florida

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You want to boost attendance in Hartford. Get a 2 for 1 done with Penn St. Spread it out over 7 years as to not beat us up too much. They will have to add 10k seats.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think if there is a way to build a conference brand, this is it. The American is very young and needs to get deals like this for exposure.

If we’re talking UConn football specific - a nice 2 for 1 deal with
B10: Penn State or Michigan State
ACC: L’Ville, Clemson, or FSU

Note: UConn football and basketball are different in terms of pre-existing rivalries. I think 1:1 deals are easier to happen with Rutgers, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, North Carolina, or BC

I’m mixed about the money games... like the one we are taking to Clemson. But you take what you can get.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Very interesting numbers. Disappointingly low per game payoff, but with a super duper triple dog dare punisher on the buyout. If USF somehow wins game 1 and 2, there will be no game three,

Reaction Score
Agreed. I think if there is a way to build a conference brand, this is it. The American is very young and needs to get deals like this for exposure.

Note: UConn football and basketball are different in terms of pre-existing rivalries. I think 1:1 deals are easier to happen with Rutgers, WVU, Pitt, Cuse, North Carolina, or BC

I’m mixed about the money games... like the one we are taking to Clemson. But you take what you can get.

Please stop. UF will do that with USF because they will have as many fans in Orlando as USF. PSU could play us 2 for 1 on that basis. There is no reason to think that Clemson or FSU has any interest in playing us up north, unless it's in the Meadowlands and they control half the tickets.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think our most realistic gets on a 2 for 1 to come to East Hartford from perennial top 20 programs would be:

1) Penn St
2) Michigan (lots of New England alumni - last game was a success overall)
3) Michigan St
4) Wisconsin? Maybe?
5) Virginia Tech? I guess they are a perennial top 20.

Omitted - no top 20: Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Rutty, UVA, Maryland, all schools in NC, etc.
Omitted - our stadium isn't big enough for their egos: Ohio St, Notre Dame

Okay - that's all I got. The only southern teams I see coming north are those in the bottom half of their conferences like a Vandy or a GT. Nobody from the top half, certainly nobody top 20 material. Same for any p5 program from west of Kansas City (edit note: I replace St Louis with Kansas City)

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The nine game Big Ten schedule makes it pretty tough. They pretty much can’t play OOC on the road every other year because they have 5 road conf games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Missed the window on PSU. They want home games and aren't wasting one of their few OOC away slots on anyone that isn't for recruiting purposes or a P5 and top P5 at that. They like most top programs get 4-5 Conference Home games depending on an 8/9 game schedule. That leaves 3-4 OOC slots only one of those is going to be an away game.

I'm not sure they would accept a money game at their place from UConn over say Akron just for the recruiting relationships in OH. Comp a bunch of tickets for OH HS coaches or CT HS coaches?

Clemson was a coup based on the OC/AD relationship. It's a nice road trip for fans/donors. Be happy with that and shoot lower for teams willing to come here. Anything with a P5 tag that isn't a former BE team is a nice get.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I've suggested a deal with Penn St has low odds, however of the of the perennial top 20 programs, its our most realistic get for East Hartford. After they pull in Tre Williams in 2020, can we officially say Penn St has a pipeline in CT or with 3 highly rated kids in two years (Levis, Rudolph and Marquis) we can already say they have planted their flag? Yeah - CT is not a top recruiting area for Penn St (will always be below PA, OH, MD, VA) but its not barren either.

Maybe we can sweeten the deal with other sports - like a MBB tie in. Two schedules below. For balancing purposes looks like any deal with Penn St would have to be pushed out to 2024 as our OOC would be a little to challenging if added to 2020-2023. Thats probably two far out for either program to want to commit to anything at this time.

Penn St OOC
  • TBA
  • TBA
UConn OOC

• TBA
  • TBA
  • TBA
TBA

Last edited:

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Wouldn't Louisville count as a pre-existing rivalry? There's definitely more to the rivalry with Louisville than there is to North Carolina... either way, I wouldn't give those cheaters* the benefit of a 2-for-1!

*By "cheaters", I meant Louisville... although I guess it also applies to North Carolina... and Syracuse...

Reaction Score
No issue with 2 for 1's.

Big issue with money games.

Reaction Score
Please stop. UF will do that with USF because they will have as many fans in Orlando as USF. PSU could play us 2 for 1 on that basis. There is no reason to think that Clemson or FSU has any interest in playing us up north, unless it's in the Meadowlands and they control half the tickets.
FSU and Clemson play north every year at either Cuse or BC. They are in the same division. Why would they add a game in the Meadowlands against anyone versus having an AAC team come to their house?

Reaction Score

We used to play Louisville every year. No way in hell should UCONN consider a 2 for 1.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We used to play Louisville every year. No way in hell should UCONN consider a 2 for 1.

Times have changed. Louisville is an ACC power.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom