OT: Usain Bolt

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Kitaman, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Kitaman

Kitaman

My God, the man is remarkable! Faster than fast, he covers the last 10m in 3 steps. If he tripped at full speed, he'd probably die.

I've seen a lot of great sprinters but I never thought I'd see such domination with confidence cockiness. He may irritate some but no one is shutting him up or down. On to the 200 and relays for this fast cat (literally speaking).

Oh and here's the cockiness, but it ain't cockiness if you can back it up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. August_West

August_West Shall we play a game?

I dont think he is cocky, I think he extracts pure joy out of what he is doing. Nothing wrong with having fun with your god given amazing gifts in my book.

3. uconnfan68

uconnfan68

After those qualifiers I was expecting a WR.

4. Kitaman

Kitaman

I agree, by the way here's the race: Linky

They say he starts slow because of his height (6'5") but damn once he gets his acceleration going he's 'too' fast.

5. Dogdeacon

Dogdeacon

The semis were too close to the finals for a world record, we are talking about hairs of a second but the times were relatively slow for everybody in the final.

6. superjohn

superjohn

He's right there with Phelps as the best Olympian ever. They are both a joy to watch.

James, Horatio and August_West like this.
  7. Kembacity

Kembacity

That point in the last maybe 30m where he literally looks like he just turned an extra engine on is amazing. He doesn't appear to do anything different in his stride, but the other guys struggle to maintain as he just coasts ahead. How awful must it be to be the guy after the guy. The great athlete who is just not superhuman enough to ever beat Phelps or Bolt, it's gotta be brutal. You're amazing at what you do, yet no one will ever know your name or celebrate you (outside of your own country)

August_West and superjohn like this.
  8. david

david

It was a great night of track between Bolt and Wayde Van Niekerk. That run by the South African was absolutely unreal.

uconnfan68 likes this.
  9. UCweCONN

UCweCONN Let's do this!

I remember reading once that if you calculated his 40 yard sprint speed based on the 100 meters, it would be 3.8 seconds. Top NFL players are blazing if they run a 4.3 or 4.4 and most are 5+. That's crazy. Another poster commented on Bolt's traditional slow start. Remember Michael Johnson and how he'd come up on guys with that strange staight-backed running style and arm motions and the next thing you knew guys were in his dust and you're like, "How can he run that fast with that dorky style"?

Horatio likes this.
  10. superjohn

superjohn

Van Niekerk was amazing, demolishing the record from out on lane 8.

uconnfan68 likes this.
  11. Horatio

Horatio I fouled out of the "song game" thread

Has Jerry Jones offered him a tryout yet?

12. david

david

For this one particular race being on the outside might have helped him. He couldnt race based off the other runners, he had to just go balls out and assume the others were catching up.

13. polycom

polycom I heard a beep, who just joined?

I don't like the 40 comparison because Bolt would have to put on weight to even be comparable to Top NFL guys therefore he'd run the 40 much slower than he would in his current Olympic Track body. Essentially everyone running for 100m would run it faster than any NFL guy.

14. Chin Diesel

Chin Diesel Power of Love

Very cool breakdown of how the race is run.

Perfect 100: How to run Olympics' fastest event the right way

Bottom line, they are all done accelerating by 30m.
    From 30-65m or so it's about sustaining top speed.
    Last 30 meters is limiting your deceleration and maintaining form.

So when it looks like Bolt goes in to another gear, it's really all of the other runners losing their top gear more quickly than Bolt loses his.

It's all an illusion
    When you watch a 100-meter race, you might think that a sprinter pulling away near the end is gaining speed on everyone. That is not the case. Everyone slows down by 70 meters, if not earlier. Boldon says the belief that some are able to get faster at this stage is a myth, or at least an illusion caused by seeing someone pulling ahead.
    "Everybody in that last 35 to 40 meters is decelerating," Boldon says. "If you see somebody pull away, it's because they are decelerating less than the others. But everybody, no matter who they are, as long as you are a human, you are decelerating in that last third of the 100."
    It isn't that dramatic a drop -- Boldon says the best will slow down by maybe 2 mph - but it is enough to make the difference.
    "At 70 meters, you've got to maintain and keep those knees up," says Bromell. "People tend to get to 70 and think, 'Oh, I'm going to kick it into another gear,' but that doesn't happen. You actually end up pressing and slow down even faster."

bballgrda and Dogbreath2U like this.
  15. Jaker

Jaker

Bolt is pretty fast

16. champs99and04

champs99and04

Maintaining the title of something as time-capped as 'fastest man in the world' for 8 + years is incomprehensible to me.

Dogbreath2U, polycom and James like this.
  17. Matt1010

Matt1010

That's cool and all, but multiple NFL players would beat Bolt in the 40. You can't directly compare the 100 and 40 because in both scenarios you start off slow, but in the 100 you have much more time running at your top speed.

18. Huskies4ever

Huskies4ever

He should just turn around and run backwards at the end, like Barkley did with referee (forget his name) at the all-star break several years back.

19. superjohn

superjohn

Disagree, who are these NFL players who would beat Bolt in the 40?

20. huskiesNhoos

huskiesNhoos

Correct me if I'm wrong, but NFL players don't start in blocks when they get timed. Very big difference

21. Scottzer

Scottzer

He covers 100 meters in 41 steps (including the first few that are shorter), it's hard to fathom. I'd love to see him attempt the long jump and 400 meters. Then again, that new 400 record set in lane 8 is unconscionable.

22. polycom

polycom I heard a beep, who just joined?

Is this your opinion or do you have some facts to back this up?

23. Scottzer

Scottzer

I
    I believe that Bolt, and only Bolt, is the exception to the rule. I think they found that he's the only one running at the same speed from the 40 mark to the 100. Now, given that height, maybe it takes him 45M to hit max speed.

24. Matt1010

Matt1010

Below is the breakdown. This also doesn't take into account the fact that Bolt starts out of blocks and NFL players do not. What makes Bolt so amazing is his speed during the second half of the race.

Bolt 100m Splits.jpg

25. RichCTBB

RichCTBB

That 400m final was amazing. I'm not sure he runs that time if he gets a preferred lane. He was running blind in lane 8 and probably to a certain extent, running scared. His 2nd 100 meters was clocked at 9.8 seconds. Now he should have the confidence go after a sub 43 second 400 meters next year.