OT: USA men's soccer won't go to London | The Boneyard

OT: USA men's soccer won't go to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I am not a soccer fan but I did read this in the last couple of days.
Guru types out there: was this expected? Don't we have a new coach? If so....does this mean he is
officially on a very, very short leash from now on?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am not a soccer fan but I did read this in the last couple of days.
Guru types out there: was this expected? Don't we have a new coach? If so....does this mean he is
officially on a very, very short leash from now on?
This was not expected. It was a possibility. But the way it went down was even worse than anyone expected.

We wanted to win the group so we would not have to face Mexico in the Semi-finals (top 2 teams from each of the 2 groups face each other in the semi's - 1v2 2v1). Winners of the semi-finals go to the Olympics. However, we did not even finish in the top two in the group, so we didn't even get the chance to play for the Olympic spots. This was supposed to be a really good (at least attack wise) team. They were missing a few players that would have probably been brought in for the Olympics. But still should have had no problem getting through to the Olympics. A catastrophe.

This is not the real NT team (Donovan, Dempsey, etc.) this was a U23 team (as were the other teams we played). Olympics are for U23 team plus up to 3 over age players.

Porter is a new coach for this level. Also coaches University of Akron. (pretty good program there). Since the U23 team is really only for the Olympics, not a regular position like the NT or U20, it cyclic and I don't know if he will be given another chance with another team in the future after this fiasco.

This really isn't on Klinsmann, but it won't help him any. All the teams NT, U23, U20, U17, etc are all kinda in his "program", sorta. Really a lot of the blame is being put on Porter (of course) but also Sunil Gulati, the president of US Soccer Federation, the one who hires the coaches, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer
Top Bottom