OT: US Tennis Open

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by wire chief, Aug 26, 2016.

1. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

The island has been in a festive mood, as she just received a heroine's welcome. There was a 5 mile parade along the streets of San Juan. How come? Monica Puig brought home the Puerto Rico's first Olympics gold medal for her women's singles performance, on the way beating heavyweights Kvitova and Kerber.

She lives in Miami and summers with her island grandparents and could have played under the American flag, but chose Puerto Rico, so residents are doubly ecstatic.

Now Rio does NOTHING for rankings, so she enters Flushing Meadows at #35, but, of course, there will be chatter.

Serena comes in at #1, and she actually could have been dethroned a few days ago, if Angelique won a recent tournament, but she failed in the final, so she remains like AVIS, trying harder.
    Serena and Venus(#6) did lousy in Rio singles & doubles, but Venus scored a silver in mixed doubles.
    As yet I cannot find any doubles info for the Sisters for next week.
    Madison Keys is also a top tenner, and Sloane & Coco are ranked, but more modestly.
    Bethanie Mattek-Sands won the mixed doubles gold, but she's outside the seeds here.

On the men's side, the talk will be about Novak, Andy, and how Roger is done for.
    Rafa's wrist is annoying him; he is out
    But now we must include Juan Martin del Potro. He's was a Novak-killer in Rio, but lost to Andy,
    who picked up his 2nd consecutive gold. Novak is at #1, but it's less clear than in some previous masters that his success is a foregone conclusion.
    From what we saw at Rio in Juan-Andy final, Juan seems to have a shot, if he can avoid a 5-setter.

Three Americans fill in the 20-23 rankings, Isner still highest at #20, but 2 other guys have had more success than has John lately Steve Johnson and Jack Sock are steadily climbing, and it'd surprise no one, if they could make the 2nd week. Jack showed up in Rio with walking pneumonia and still paired with Bethanie
    to take mixed doubles gold.

It all begins Monday, and I know you all share with me the hope that Venus wins.:D

s

VAUConnFan likes this.
  2. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Update: Rafa IS playing. Sloane withdrew yesterday

DaddyChoc likes this.
  3. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

damn it Sloane...

thanks for the updates

4. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

5. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

The Sisters are not entered in doubles. Venus will be daytime on Tuesday; Serena at night.

DaddyChoc likes this.
  6. bags27

bags27

Wire Chief: you are the tennis chief, so your thoughts about this: early Olympic loses by Serena (singles and doubles) and Novak (tears after 1st round loss, but are they crocodile?): maybe intentional? more interested in getting back to training routine for the Open? Or just a coincidence that the greatest two players in the world exit very early?

7. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Serena has been bothered all summer by a sore shoulder...seems better now. In doubles she fell prey to bad judgment at the net too often. Novak said at Wimbledon he wasn't 100%, and he ran into the same forehand buzz saw that defeated Federer a few years back at the US Open, Juan Martin, who may finally this year be unburdened by a long-lived wrist problem.

bags27 likes this.
  8. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

Great win by Rogers over Errani. Shame on ESPN for showing the Nadal blowout (6-1 after the 1st set) when there are a slew of interesting American matches happening. Tiafoe up 2 sets to 0 over Isner, Vandeghwhe in a dog fight in the 3rd set over a Japanese opponent. Bellis won the 1st set and is up a break in the 2nd. Brian Baker up a break in his first set match. And of course the great win by Rogers over Errani.

UCONNfan1 likes this.
  9. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Any of you geezers still up? A few minutes ago the Alison Riske-Madison Keys match set the record for latest-ending match ever. Now that's an asterick designation, for opening night at the US Open always starts with non-tennis hoopla. You got your fireworks, your jetpack aerial gymnastics, your audience Frisbee contests, water balloon fights and Phil Collins parachuting from a blimp, holding his drum-set.

OK, I'll get serious. Alison was in good shape, having won the opening set 6-4 and earning a tie-breaker for set 2. Alas, it was not her night to end her 9-loss-in-a-row status at Majors. She's now at double figures. Madison takes the 3rd at 6-2. Man, can that lassie hit ground strokes. Also led in aces 13-0.

Other countrypersons getting through the 1st round are Jack Sock (5-setter over Taylor Fritz), John Isner in 5th set tie-breaker (thank Goodness, because in any other Major, John would have to play until he won 32-30), Coco & Bellis, Escobedo(among men), McHale & Davis & Falconi
    Sadly for Puerto Ricans, there will be no new parade.

Only one big surprise in that long-time veteran Richard Gasquet(13) got booted.

Here's our schedule for day 2...

Schedule of Play | Day 2: Tuesday, August 30 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

While Serena has a winning record over E. Makarova, she does have one loss to her. If the shoulder is OK, Serena should be OK.

DaddyChoc likes this.
  10. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

The Sisters have said that opponents can't beat them; they can only beat themselves. Yesterday Venus tried hard to demonstrate that maxim..
    Her Ukranian opponent, ranked in the 90's, could not hold serve in the first set, but Venus threw away 2 of her own services games.
    It got worse. She races to 3-0 in the 2nd, convincing all she's walk off in, oh, 15 minutes. But then the unforced errors ascended, and she won only 2 more games while her foe got 7. Third set resulted in the longest women's match of the day, as Venus grabbed a 6-4 victory.
    Watching my favorite player always knocks months off my life expectancy.
    Serena, however, kept the beating-self truism in abeyance, winning easily.

Poor Eugenie Bouchard. Two years ago the comely lass was the hottest thing since Donkey Kong, reaching 3 Majors semis. But the Canadian suffered a concussion and hasn't been near the same. Got bounced in her 1st round match.

Sam Querry, once an also-ran among American men (and given the stature of American men, that's pretty low0. But Sam achieved
    a big uptick by beating Novak at Wimbledon. How soon we'll forget--bounced.

Other names who go home early: Ivanovic, Goffin(12), Tomic(17),

Here's your Round 2 schedule for today...

Schedule of Play | Day 3: Wednesday, August 31 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

11. DaddyChoc

thanks for the update, I gave up on Venus a few years back.

I want Serena to keep playing until she start getting knocked out in the 1st round...
    [​IMG]

12. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

SORRY, BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO GIVE UP ON VENUS!!!!!

bags27 and DaddyChoc like this.
  13. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Wednesday brought high drama in the form of Johanna Konta falling to her knees with shaking muscles, breathing difficulties
    and light headedness. Ice pack treatment and a long bathroom break righted her ship to prevail in 3 sets.
    Obviously, bad luck is yours when you are seeded #13, but apparently such misfortune can be transformed.

Two well known players met in the 2nd round. Caroline Wozniacki was once #1, albeit without ever winning a Slam.
    But that seems ancient history, because she has steadily slipped and is unseeded nowadays.
    Svetlana Kuznetzova does have a Major, but was out of sight for a while, but has clawed back to a 9th seed here.
    Then things went topsy turvy, as the Woz won in 2.

Despite the 88 degree day, Novak sweated not; he's in the 3rd round via a walkover.

Where did Gabine Muguruza go since her French title? Well, losing real early at Wimbledon and now bounced in straight sets by an unseeded.

Madison had a real good outing, beating a fellow American 6-1, 6-1.

This is a big deal, as unseeded American Ryan Harrison laid waste to #5 Raonic in 4.

Here is your Thursday schedule.

Schedule of Play | Day 4: Thursday, September 1 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

DaddyChoc likes this.
  14. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

"In the early morning rain", croons the Canadian Troubadour in a testament to Flushing Meadows wetness.
    Not much of a problem, as some singles were interrupted but all finished. And the new roof went up.

A big win for Uzbek born but American citizen Varvara Lepchenko, as she took out the 15th ranked Swiss Timea Bacsinszky.
    And Sam Stosur, winner here in 2011, has been bounced by a Chinese lady.

If age is catching up to 32 year old Sam, that is not yet the case with the Sisters. Serena lost 6 games while winning 12 vs. American Vania King.
    Venus lost one fewer, defeating the veteran German Julia Georges, 6-2, 6-3. After a tough 1st round win in 3 sets with 60+
    unforced errors, her fans were naturally worried that such hiccups would get Venus bounced soon. While she made life a bit difficult for herself in the final 2 service games, she was SUPER SMOOTH in this match.

Here is the Friday line-up, where we begin to get seeded players matched against each other in round 3.

Schedule of Play | Day 5: Friday, September 2 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

15. DaddyChoc

I haven't seen a match yet... and I don't like it

16. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 Good Guy for a Dookie

REALLY looking forward to the CC Bellis/Angelique Kerber match as well as the Jack Sock/Martin Cilic match. Both represent great chances for the Americans to make a statement and secure signature wins.

And it is VERY important for the US to have some prospects breakthrough. Stephens made a GS semi, but very little since. Keys made a GS semi, but has not been consistent either (though she did finish 4th at the Olympics).

The last GS title by an American male tennis player? Andy Roddick, at the 2003 US Open.
    The last GS title by an American woman other than Serena Williams? Venus Williams, at the 2007 Wimbledon Championships.
    The last GS title by an American woman not named Serena or Venus Williams? Jennifer Capriati, at the 2001 Australian Open.

17. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

It must have been a fairy prince (though we couldn't see him) who came along in timely fashion and gave Madison a big smackaroo..She awoke from her 3rd set slumber, noticed it was 1-5 against her, and promptly won 7-6.
    I can't imagine that strategy will work as well in later rounds.

18. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

The face of American men's tennis has been John Isner for some time now. Yet while John often makes the 2nd week of a Major (but not this time), he consistently stalls. Fans have no reason any longer to expect a surge from there.
    But wait! It is time to get excited about Jack Sock, a multiple champ in doubles, who just spoiled the party of Marin Cilic, the 2014 champ here. Jack demolished the 7th seed in straight sets. Beware opponents, for Jack is giving up doubles to focus purely on singles.
    He next tangles with Willy-Jo Tsonga, a tall order indeed.

It's almost comical to consider the fortunes of Novak here. First he gets a walkover in Round 2; then yesterday plays just 6 games, when Youzny retires. Novak wonders whether lack of match play will kink up his game going forward.

After her upset of Kuznetsova, the Woz continues her comeback bludgeoning her opponent yesterday, losing only 4 games.

American Catherine Bellis dreams got hammered vs. the #2 seed, 1-6, 1-6.

Daytime coverage now begins earlier, 11am on the Deuce. Here's the schedule, and don't let the opening of college football
    dissuade your tennis loyalty.

Schedule of Play | Day 6: Saturday, September 3 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

19. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Here come Hermine! She's off shore and approaching. Winds are expected today, and the rain may wipe out all those not under the roof on
    Labor Day.

Now yesterday the Sisters were a Sisters act, like synchronized swimming , they each allowed opponents exactly 3 games.

The NY Times has a feature on the Brit Kyle Edmund, a guy who lost in last years quallies, but now has vanquished 3, including John Isner,
    via a damaging forehand. He takes on a rusty(?) Novak.

Other interesting match-ups include Petra Kivitova, 2-time Wimbledon champ vs. #2 Angelique Kerber. this year's Aussie winner.
    Madison, at #8 plays the unseeded Woz.

Here you go for today...

Schedule of Play | Day 7: Sunday, September 4 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

VAMike23 likes this.
  20. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Hermine has moved substantially off-shore, so rain forecasts are revised to partly cloudy.

There's been talk about the demise of the big four among the men. Roger is 34, hasn't won a major in a
    long time, but does make semis and finals. But healing has kept him from Rio and this contest too.
    Yesterday Rafa was in a splendid 5-setter that see-sawed throughout, but was vanquished in a 9-7 tie-breaker.
    Rafa, dealing over time with leg, back & wrist problems, hasn't made even the quarters since last year's French.
    It is thought that his game is especially punishing on a body's structure. Now watching him is still to see exemplary shot-making, but...

Rafa's foe Lucas Pouilly has come from the back benches. He's 22, with no titles, though has won enough matches this year to earn a #25 ranking. But he showed he could rally with Rafa and contains a sneaky down-the-line backhand.
    So along with Tsonga and Monfils, there are 3 Frenchmen in the quarters. Sacre bleu, who ever heard of such
    a thing. It's enough to make the French forget about proper swimwear!

The Woz continues to show her old form, taking down America's young hope Madison in straight sets.

Historically, it is worth mentioning that we have a Latvian in the quarters, as Anastasija Sevastova took out #13 Johanna Konta in 2 sets.

I also report that Novak showed no rust from lack of match play last week, allowing Kyle Edmund only 7 games.

Finally the 2-time Wimbledon victor Petra could not hand Kerber, losing in 2.

Now about today, the round of 16 concludes with both Sisters in daytime. Venus must hope her return-of-serve game is at top form, for her 10th ranked opponent has more aces than ANYBODY.

And will Juan's unseeded, but high octane game, continue vs. the #8 seed Dominic Thiem. That's first up
    at 11, followed by Venus, then Serena. All on ESPN2.

Schedule of Play | Day 8: Monday, September 5 Schedule | Official Site of the 2016 US Open Tennis Championships - A USTA Event

VAUConnFan likes this.
  21. ericsandiego

ericsandiego Cronus

A very exciting Open for sure. Lots of upsets. So glad to see the ass-picker go down. I know he's a fan favorite, but his quirks on the court are annoying. Someone needs to buy that man some underwear that doesn't slide up his crack every point.

Bummed for Keys. Way to inconsistent on her back hand. Also, what is the deal with her tucking her skirt in to her underwear even when not serving? I don't get that.

Nice seeing the American women do well in doubles. But why did Hingis and Mirza split up? They were the #1 team. Now Hingis is paired with Coco and Mirza with Czech Strycova...

UCONNfan1 likes this.
  22. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

When they ban the ridiculous grunting on the court I'll try tennis viewing again.

23. wire chief

wire chief Testmeister

Rocky, why not watch a sport you apparently like. The grunting becomes mere white noise after a short while?

DaddyChoc likes this.
  24. DaddyChoc

I agree... maybe Rocky is just grumpy. I wish any complainer tries to hit a ball 120mpg without making a sound.

25. DaddyChoc

Eric I think the cameramen were informed not to zoom in on that part of his routine, he still does it but you rarely see it. I wonder if anyone asked him about why he does it. I like Rafa, he competes... I'd take him over Isner

26. easttexastrash

easttexastrash Stay Classy!

I now have a new favorite young player. Pouille appears to have all the skills required to win a major at some point. I am not sure how he will recover from three straight 5 set matches but I am now a huge fan.

hoopsdiva likes this.
  27. RockyMTblue2

RockyMTblue2 Don't Look Up!

Sorry, I forgot the wink. ;) Watching Venus and Pliskova now. Some screamers do detract, so the mute goes on. Some non-screamers claim it is a form of interference. Some coaches have elaborate explanations about breathing technique. I lean to the cheating side of things. Asking the fans to be funereally quiet then allowing a player to scream is ridiculous to me.

28. Checkmate

Checkmate

Does anyone know who this is ?

[​IMG]

j66kicker likes this.
  29. Gus Mahler

Gus Mahler Popular Composer

Caroline Wozniacki

DaddyChoc and j66kicker like this.
  30. Checkmate

Checkmate

yes, that is not exactly the way she looks when she plays