OT: US News and World Report College Rankings came out... | The Boneyard

OT: US News and World Report College Rankings came out...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I couldn't get in today, I'd have to go to BCU, Saracuse, or PeeCee!:(:(:(:(

I would rather go to Alcatraz than the institutions you've listed... :eek:

Reaction Score
Strong showing. Susan continues to move the school in the right direction. Need to get the research up.
They definitely need a big push in the computer science space and need to find key commercial partners like Google, Amazon, etc funding graduate research. The state has put a big stake in the ground on life sciences, some on nano-tech and pulling up the rear is CS. As a function of real world market size , the most dominant trend is in IoT and AI which will dwarf these other very large but significantly more capital and risk intensive spaces. The cycle on investment return is much shorter in soft technology than materials and health research. UConn engineering is strong but much more needs to be done with CS.

Reaction Score
Size of endowment is also an area we need to improve upon. We need a couple of multi-billionaires to fall in love with UConn, put us in their wills, then politely die. (just kidding).

That is an area in which UConn is far behind compared to our peers. Leave all else the same, and increase the endowment, we would shoot up several spots. Of course, that may be the toughest metric to improve.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
AAC USN&WR Rankings:

US News Rankings (or unrankings for some), AAC edition
The annual somewhat meaningless US News college rankings are out, and Memphis has some company! Last year's rankings in parentheses.

Braniac Category:
Tulane - 40 (39)
UConn - 56 (60)
SMU - 61 (56)
Tulsa - 87 (86)

We collectively have something like 300,000 students Category:
Temple - 115 (118)
Cincinnati - 133 (135)
South Florida - 140 (159)
Central Florida - 171 (176)

Hey, we're ranked Category:
Houston - 194 (194)
East Carolina - 207 (210)

Thank the good lord above that Wichita State is in the conference Category:
Memphis - Unranked

We're a basketball school and this proves it Category:
Wichita State - Unranked

US News Rankings (or unrankings for some), AAC edition

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Strong showing. Susan continues to move the school in the right direction. Need to get the research up.

Your Federal Research is ranked #72 ($119 million) and is second in the AAC, only behind USF #71 ($122 million).

NSF – NCSES Academic Institution Profiles – Rankings by total federal obligations

However, your Total Research is ranked #82 ($259 million) . USF leads the AAC in total research and is ranked #45 ($485 million.)

NSF – NCSES Academic Institution Profiles – Rankings by total R&D expenditures

So why the big disparity in Total Research?

Your other rankings on nsf.gov are considerably better.

University of Connecticut
greenline.jpg

Rankings
Data year Earned doctorates Full-time graduate students Total federal obligations Total R&D expenditures

NSF – NCSES Academic Institution Profiles – University of Connecticut

For comparison:

University of South Florida, Tampa
greenline.jpg

Rankings

Data year Earned doctorates Full-time graduate students Total federal obligations Total R&D expenditures

NSF – NCSES Academic Institution Profiles – University of South Florida, Tampa

Is UConn working on a path towards possible AAU membership?

I know that obtaining AAU membership is a major priority for USF, and we have been making steady progress in achieving their required metrics.

I would say our main problem right now is student to faculty ratio.

Our six year graduation rate has improved substantially and that probably accounts for a good deal of our rise this year in USN&WR.

As with UConn, we need to improve our endowment. We are a young school and that just takes more time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I couldn't get in today, I'd have to go to BCU, Saracuse, or PeeCee!:(:(:(:(
There's some truth there. When I started at UConn in the early 1980's, my SAT's were higher than 2/3 of the other students. Now my scores would put me ahead of just 1/3 of the current UConn students.

I might be rejected if I applied today.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We are the #13 public FBS school on the list, actually tied with the Texas Longhorns, Washington Huskies, and Purdue Boilermakers.

Reaction Score
I don't buy all of those California State schools filling up the higher public rankings. Cal and UCLA , sure, but the rest--give me a break. Santa Barbara, Irvine, San Diego and Davis give the California state system 6 of the top 12 schools. "Hey Jim, where are you applying, Michigan? Wisconsin? Texas? No I'm heading to UC Irvine" I can't wait to be an Anteater"

As for UConn, moving up is huge. I've heard several people say they didn't realize we were that highly ranked--usually followed by Florida.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I don't buy all of those California State schools filling up the higher public rankings. Cal and UCLA , sure, but the rest--give me a break. Santa Barbara, Irvine, San Diego and Davis give the California state system 6 of the top 12 schools. "Hey Jim, where are you applying, Michigan? Wisconsin? Texas? No I'm heading to UC Irvine" I can't wait to be an Anteater"

As for UConn, moving up is huge. I've heard several people say they didn't realize we were that highly ranked--usually followed by Florida.
The UC system is massive for science/tech/med nerds

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Navy. They would easily be in the top 100 if they were included in the rankings.

That gives the AAC five schools in the top 100. Not bad.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That may be so but it skews the rankings. UC Davis is akin to Ga Tech? I doubt it.
They are. They do game the system by taking wealthy students from Asia which increases their average test scores and reduces their acceptance rate.

Reaction Score

The UC System is the best in the nation by a mile. If your child gets into UC Davis, Irvine, or Santa Barbara be very happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom