OT: University of Texas - Ready to Challenge for the Championship? | The Boneyard

OT: University of Texas - Ready to Challenge for the Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Since Aston has been the coach. Texas has gotten better in recruiting and the team has gotten better each year. I think they are close to competing for a final four or a championship. Atkins is a real good player.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I sound like a broken record. Ms. Aston's recruiting has been terrific. I've always liked her on court decisions and demeanor. She's a smart, disciplined, level headed coach that's as good with X's and O's as she is with guiding young women. Baylor I think has more talent, but Mulkey is her own worst enemy. Karen has a good shot beating BU in the conference finals while getting a nice seed at the Dance. Yeah, if certain teams fold under the hype and overripe expectations, they could challenge.

Reaction Score
I agree, JordyG. Karen Aston has been something else -- an NCAA invite her first year, round of 32 her second, sweet 16 her third, elite 8 last year. I'm a Texas alum, so follow them pretty closely. Texas' out of conference schedule this year is the most ridiculous I've ever seen (UConn, S. Carolina, Stanford, Tennessee, Miss. State, Florida State, I think I'm leaving someone out) and has to be done with several new players. It will either kill them, or they will be pretty good by the time the Big-12 rolls around. Of course, Baylor is the hurdle they have to overcome, mentally even more than in personnel.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree, JordyG. Karen Aston has been something else -- an NCAA invite her first year, round of 32 her second, sweet 16 her third, elite 8 last year. I'm a Texas alum, so follow them pretty closely. Texas' out of conference schedule this year is the most ridiculous I've ever seen (UConn, S. Carolina, Stanford, Tennessee, Miss. State, Florida State, I think I'm leaving someone out) and has to be done with several new players. It will either kill them, or they will be pretty good by the time the Big-12 rolls around. Of course, Baylor is the hurdle they have to overcome, mentally even more than in personnel.
Well if you've read more of my previous posts you'd know I think Mulkey is one of the country's best recruiters and merely a good coach. As I've stated I have more respect for Aston who I think is a very good coach. Worse, Baylor annually has a soft schedule which does nothing to prepare them for the championships. Texas with Aston seems to be following The UConn's example of tough OOC in tough arena builds tough players. Just a smart women, who is even keeled and I think that conferences best coach. Both The UConn and Texas will be better teams when they come out at the end than they are at the starting line.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, there could not be more talent returning this season, plus two top-six national freshmen joining the team. Each season, Texas has gotten a step closer in the tournament. I'm not saying this season will be the year the Horns win it all, but a Final Four-caliber team is hardly a stretch.

With Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and Texas 1986, the past 30 years have produced a good number of national champions within the Lone Star State. Will this be the time for a continuation of that trend? We'll certainly see this year.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, there could not be more talent returning this season, plus two top-six national freshmen joining the team. Each season, Texas has gotten a step closer in the tournament. I'm not saying this season will be the year the Horns win it all, but a Final Four-caliber team is hardly a stretch.

With Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and Texas 1986, the past 30 years have produced a good number of national champions within the Lone Star State. Will this be the time for a continuation of that trend? We'll certainly see this year.
Agreed to all. You Longhorn fans are all right with me. Yet as a Husky fan I'm telling you. You guys had better get us this year (and that's highly debatable) because come next get ready for a butt whuppin'. And stop hogging all that Texas talent.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree that the Baylor hurdle is more mental for UT. Texas really has a great group of players, especially guards, and I keep expecting them to trip Baylor up in Austin, or even in Waco or in the Big 12 tourney. This is turning into a great rivalry and one that I am looking forward to as both teams continue to keep the Texas HS players in state. The state is so talent-rich that if Kim and Aston can make that an interesting rivalry I think that the players will be more likely to want to play for one of the two.

IMO this season depends on Kelsey Lang and how well she can step in for Boyette. Lang is really the only impact post player, other than Holmes, who is more of a 4. But she is going to be just dynamite and is my pick for FOY in the conference and the country. She is going to get a lot more time on the court than Cox, although I think Cox will get her fair share.

If UT lands Walker, watch out!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I sound like a broken record. Ms. Aston's recruiting has been terrific. I've always liked her on court decisions and demeanor. She's a smart, disciplined, level headed coach that's as good with X's and O's as she is with guiding young women. Baylor I think has more talent, but Mulkey is her own worst enemy. Karen has a good shot beating BU in the conference finals while getting a nice seed at the Dance. Yeah, if certain teams fold under the hype and overripe expectations, they could challenge.

EVENTUALLY, Aston will get another win against Baylor. Little Sis will eventually grow up and compete with Big Sis. But for now, Big Sis is still beating up on Little Sis (by an average of 20 points last season). I don't expect that to change this season, but it will happen eventually.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree that the Baylor hurdle is more mental for UT. Texas really has a great group of players, especially guards, and I keep expecting them to trip Baylor up in Austin, or even in Waco or in the Big 12 tourney. This is turning into a great rivalry and one that I am looking forward to as both teams continue to keep the Texas HS players in state. The state is so talent-rich that if Kim and Aston can make that an interesting rivalry I think that the players will be more likely to want to play for one of the two.

IMO this season depends on Kelsey Lang and how well she can step in for Boyette. Lang is really the only impact post player, other than Holmes, who is more of a 4. But she is going to be just dynamite and is my pick for FOY in the conference and the country. She is going to get a lot more time on the court than Cox, although I think Cox will get her fair share.

If UT lands Walker, watch out!
Well I've think Aston has her in the bag. I think by the end of the year Cox will be pivotal for BU since Brown seems wooden to me and Mompremier's athleticism can't hide her lack of a game outside 5 feet. For both really. Cox is the all around player UConn generally gets. She good in all phases and gets up and down the floor well, thought not as well as Mompremier. She's already a better shooter and passer than both, seems to understand the game better, moves without the ball better, and reads the ball off the rim better than both. She has deceptive quickness and very good lower body strength. A future AA. For Texas I think the little Sis gets hers this year.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well I've think Aston has her in the bag. I think by the end of the year Cox will be pivotal for BU since Brown seems wooden to me and Mompremier's athleticism can't hide her lack of a game outside 5 feet. For both really. Cox is the all around player UConn generally gets. She good in all phases and gets up and down the floor well, thought not as well as Mompremier. She's already a better shooter and passer than both, seems to understand the game better, moves without the ball better, and reads the ball off the rim better than both. She has deceptive quickness and very good lower body strength. A future AA. For Texas I think the little Sis gets hers this year.

It could happen since Little Sis hasn't gotten hers since 2010. It's bound to happen some day.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
EVENTUALLY, Aston will get another win against Baylor. Little Sis will eventually grow up and compete with Big Sis. But for now, Big Sis is still beating up on Little Sis (by an average of 20 points last season). I don't expect that to change this season, but it will happen eventually.

I'm looking forward to this matchup. I'd like to see it in person. Two in-state rivals vying for bragging rights. Texas is closing the gap between them and Baylor. You're much closer to those programs than I, so I bow to your opinion on this matchup.

IMHO, Texas is one of the few teams I think would have a legitimate chance of defeating the Lady Bears. That list is a very short one. I don't expect Baylor to lose more than 2 games during the regular season.

I know Mulkey was not happy about the way her team finished the season. I expect her team to play every game this season focused and with a great deal of resolve.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Gamer, please keep us posted on the goings on with your team. I like what Aston is doing with her program. And I'm an Atkins fan.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Its really too early to say this, but I wouldn't want to see Texas in UConn's bracket even if the game is being played in Bridgeport. The 3rd time could be the charm for Texas. Probably won't happen as I predict both Texas and UConn will end up as Two Seeds. UConn has the easier conference schedule and if they end up with only two losses in their tough out-of-conference schedule could garner a #1 seed, but don't think that will happen. Have to think that if Texas is a #1 seed they'll end up in Dallas.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Its really too early to say this, but I wouldn't want to see Texas in UConn's bracket even if the game is being played in Bridgeport. The 3rd time could be the charm for Texas. Probably won't happen as I predict both Texas and UConn will end up as Two Seeds. UConn has the easier conference schedule and if they end up with only two losses in their tough out-of-conference schedule could garner a #1 seed, but don't think that will happen. Have to think that if Texas is a #1 seed they'll end up in Dallas.

I can't imagine that it'll be a surprise if Texas challenges for it all and beats uconn in the tournament. This simply must be a rebuilding season for the Huskies after losing Stevie, Morgan, and Mo. I just hope to see better than 2004-05.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Gamer, please keep us posted on the goings on with your team. I like what Aston is doing with her program. And I'm an Atkins fan.

I am actually an Aston fan, also. I am really happy to see Texas back in the thick of things as it is good for Big 12 basketball and the state. With the way Aston is recruiting she is absolutely building a program that will challenge Baylor and possibly surpass us. I think we will see both Texas and Baylor winning conference titles soon. Texas is too good not to break through at some point.

Reaction Score
I am actually an Aston fan, also. I am really happy to see Texas back in the thick of things as it is good for Big 12 basketball and the state. With the way Aston is recruiting she is absolutely building a program that will challenge Baylor and possibly surpass us. I think we will see both Texas and Baylor winning conference titles soon. Texas is too good not to break through at some point.
You must be right since you live in Texas ...LOL

Reaction Score
It'll be great for another Texas team to step up this year. With so many very good teams in the state, it's time to have a serious contender again
How many other states have this many excellent teams?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One Texas school I wonder about is Texas A&M. Gary Blair is as good as ol' boys get, but he's 71 years old. After winning it all in 2011 and losing in the 2014 regional finals (to UConn, of course), I haven't seen much. And the Aggies' 2012 recruiting class was supposed to be stellar.

Reaction Score

I am very curious about this statement. What is the basis for thinking that Karen Aston is so good at "guiding" young women? How is she better in this regard than other college coaches around the country?

TC

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It'll be great for another Texas team to step up this year. With so many very good teams in the state, it's time to have a serious contender again
How many other states have this many excellent teams?

Besides Texas and Baylor.... who else in Texas is any good ?

Reaction Score
Yes Aston seems like a good coach..... I have not seen TX on a regular basis as I have ND, Tenn, and Stan, but it looks as if they are a rising power.

Reaction Score
Well if you've read more of my previous posts you'd know I think Mulkey is one of the country's best recruiters and merely a good coach. As I've stated I have more respect for Aston who I think is a very good coach. Worse, Baylor annually has a soft schedule which does nothing to prepare them for the championships. Texas with Aston seems to be following The UConn's example of tough OOC in tough arena builds tough players. Just a smart women, who is even keeled and I think that conferences best coach. Both The UConn and Texas will be better teams when they come out at the end than they are at the starting line.

Gosh, I had no idea that Karen Aston has been a roaring success. She is not only a top recruiter, but also very accomplished as a head coach as well. I guess all this time Aston must have been piling up multiple conference regular season championships, and multiple tournament championships, and multiple final fours, and even a couple of national titles ............ and to top all that off, Aston has been pummeling Kim Mulkey on the scoreboard for years to boot.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Mulkey has actually accomplished very little as a coach.

I am just really scratching my head here, because I honestly had no idea that Aston was such a terrific coach, while Mulkey was just "merely" a good coach.

Tell you what. Let's do a blind comparison of these two coaches side by side, and see if anyone here can figure out which coach is which.

TOTAL CAREER CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIPS:
coach one - 8 major conference
coach two - 1 small conference

TOTAL CAREER REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONSHIPS
coach one - 7
coach two - 0

FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES
coach one - 3
coach two - 0

TOTAL CAREER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
coach one - 2
coach two - 0

HEAD TO HEAD MATCHUPS - COACH ONE vs COACH TWO
coach one - 10 wins
coach two - 0 wins

Lots of zeroes there on side of the ledger....... hmmm? :)

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS