OT: union college | The Boneyard

OT: union college

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
These kids must be going nuts. Imagine going to a small liberal arts school in the middle of no where and your school wins the national hockey title on espn...4 days ago no one knew you guys existed. Congrats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Congrats indeed to Union. Now, imagine going to a mid-sized, increasingly highly competitive, STEM-focused, Land Grant public institution in the middle of nowhere, just beginning to increase its scholarship offers, and your school targets and then wins the national hockey title. UCannUCONN!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My buddy is a Union alum. Visited him a couple of times up there and had a blast. There had some nice women :cool:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Touche. Unlike Yale, they knocked off the Kentucky of college hockey - Minnesota.

Isn't Union the Kentucky of hockey? Minnesota actually has players from Minnesota.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Isn't Union the Kentucky of hockey? Minnesota actually has players from Minnesota.
they only offer academic scholarships, which is like the opposite of what they do at uk

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
they only offer academic scholarships, which is like the opposite of what they do at uk

Really? They are waist deep in canadian hockey players from offering academic scholarships only?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Really? They are waist deep in canadian hockey players from offering academic scholarships only?
yeah hockey's their only D1 program and they only offer academic scholarships. thought that was kinda cool.

Reaction Score
These kids must be going nuts. Imagine going to a small liberal arts school in the middle of no where and your school wins the national hockey title on espn...4 days ago no one knew you guys existed. Congrats.

Union is not in the middle of no where, it's in Schenectady NY, that's uh, never mind :cool:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
yeah hockey's their only D1 program and they only offer academic scholarships. thought that was kinda cool.

Yup. They are D3 in everything else. And like every other D3 school, they don't do athletic schollies, only academic, humanitarian, etc. I suppose it doesn't really matter what the scholarship is for if the kid is going to school for free, but yeah, none of their "kids" (they're all like 24 or 25 years old) are on athletic schollies.

Reaction Score

The same Union that UConn tied 2-2 early this past season.

Reaction Score
yeah hockey's their only D1 program and they only offer academic scholarships.
Similar to most ECAC programs, particularly each of the Ivies, Union offers grant-in-aids disguised as academic scholarships. Exceptions exist, and technically they are not athletic scholarships, but it's a stretch to suggest all of the non-military academy hockey players at Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, RIT, or Union earned their student-athletic scholarships based solely on academic qualifications.

Without very good hockey skills, many of the Harvard knuckleheads and a few Yalies and Dartmouth hockey alumni I know well certainly had no chance of gaining admission. Some are pretty intelligent to highly successful, but others readily acknowledge they were way over their academic heads. It's unlikely Union's any different, but kudos to anyone who earns an Ivy or even a Union degree and to the Dutchmen on their Frozen Four triumph.

Reaction Score
Touche. Unlike Yale, they knocked off the Kentucky of college hockey - Minnesota.

?? Yale beat Minnesota and North Dakota back to back in the regionals last year. That's like beating Kentucky and Duke in one weekend.

Reaction Score
Similar to most ECAC programs, particularly each of the Ivies, Union offers grant-in-aids disguised as academic scholarships. Exceptions exist, and technically they are not athletic scholarships, but it's a stretch to suggest all of the non-military academy hockey players at Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, RIT, or Union earned their student-athletic scholarships based solely on academic qualifications.

Without very good hockey skills, many of the Harvard knuckleheads and a few Yalies and Dartmouth hockey alumni I know well certainly had no chance of gaining admission. Some are pretty intelligent to highly successful, but others readily acknowledge they were way over their academic heads. It's unlikely Union's any different, but kudos to anyone who earns an Ivy or even a Union degree and to the Dutchmen on their Frozen Four triumph.

I remember Union implementing a new scholarship program for "international students" about 10 years ago. Coincidentally, their hockey program began to improve dramatically in subsequent years.

Nonetheless, it's still an amazing achievement for little Union College in urban Schenectady, NY to rise from the ashes - they were embarrassingly bad for about 20 years - to the pinnacle of college hockey. Congratulations to the Dutchmen and the ECAC. HE and (former) WCHA fans can eat that EZAC moniker they used to use.

Reaction Score
They prove coaching is 90% of winning a championship.

Reaction Score
Hey, we've never lost in a basketball national championship game!

Ha. That occurred to me after I wrote it too.

But just trying to break people of the habit of talking about blue bloods and using Kentucky or Duke or someone else as the example!

Reaction Score
I corrected your post.

Minnesota hockey is more like Duke or Kentucky BB. They are the anti-UConn. Every year they get their pick of the best players on the most hockey mad state in the country and at some point they pass through the #1 ranking. However, since Herb Brooks left 35 years ago to coach some college kids in the Olympics they've only won two championships - back-to-back years about a decade ago.

Reaction Score

But just trying to break people of the habit of talking about blue bloods and using Kentucky or Duke or someone else as the example!
13-0. C'mon. That sells itself.

Reaction Score

Well, I guess I fell for it. However, my point was not so much that they are "blue bloods" but rather under achievers given the purported superiority of the players they bring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom