OT: UNC response to NCAA's 3rd notice of allegations | The Boneyard

OT: UNC response to NCAA's 3rd notice of allegations

Reaction Score
UNC responds to NCAA allegations, argues jurisdiction in academic scandal

I figure someone else will post this... or maybe not.

All of me hopes UNC gets swatted and seriously penalized like we would for continuing such a brazen line of defense as to say that the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this case and therefore no sanctions against any of their teams that had players who took these classes should be allowed.

Unfortunately, like many of you, I have so little faith in the NCAA, particularly when it comes to a P5 darling like North Carolina, that it seems they have a substantial shot at coming out of this unscathed.

And even if they do get some type of sanctions - their delay tactics allowed them to get to the Championship game, and win it earlier this year. Frankly, a continuing pathetic story all the way around.

The only good news to come out of today's announcement is: the next step (FINALLY!) is for UNC to go in front of the Committee on Infractions, some time in July. About freaking time!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

All of me hopes UNC gets swatted and seriously penalized like we would for continuing such a brazen line of defense as to say that the NCAA has no jurisdiction in this case and therefore no sanctions against any of their teams that had players who took these classes should be allowed.

Unfortunately, like many of you, I have so little faith in the NCAA, particularly when it comes to a P5 darling like North Carolina, that it seems they have a substantial shot at coming out of this unscathed.

And even if they do get some type of sanctions - their delay tactics allowed them to get to the Championship game, and win it earlier this year. Frankly, a continuing pathetic story all the way around.

The only good news to come out of today's announcement is: the next step (FINALLY!) is for UNC to go in front of the Committee on Infractions, some time in July. About freaking time!

I was waiting for "UCONN made us do it".
Oh well . All of their excuses point to a lack of institutional control but I'm not sure the NCAA will be smart enough to figure that out.
Sounds like it is pervasive, going way beyond athletics. Universities spend a lot of effort in preparing for their accreditation rseviews . I'd love to see the accreditors take the bold step of penalizing the school as a whole.i will not hold my breath.

Reaction Score
I was waiting for "UConn made us do it".
Oh well . All of their excuses point to a lack of institutional control but I'm not sure the NCAA will be smart enough to figure that out.
Sounds like it is pervasive, going way beyond athletics. Universities spend a lot of effort in preparing for their accreditation rseviews . I'd love to see the accreditors take the bold step of penalizing the school as a whole.i will not hold my breath.

UNC has this in the bag. No mention anymore of the coaches meeting where the tutoring staff explicitly told the coaches what was going on, and the coaches kept pressing it. Roy W. was there, and his assistants were on the record.

Now suddenly you don't hear about the very things that stunk to high heaven. I don't even know if they are in the record anymore. They have been erased in the memoryhole, because this thing has gone on for 6 or 7 years. Almost no one remembers the first explosive evidence.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
UNC has this in the bag. No mention anymore of the coaches meeting where the tutoring staff explicitly told the coaches what was going on, and the coaches kept pressing it. Roy W. was there, and his assistants were on the record.

Now suddenly you don't hear about the very things that stunk to high heaven. I don't even know if they are in the record anymore. They have been erased in the memoryhole, because this thing has gone on for 6 or 7 years. Almost no one remembers the first explosive evidence.

This is the one time is his life that rashad mccants was a useful human being...and now he's MIA too.

He should be on every sports talk show in the country right now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Although this thing about the kardashians costing him NBA money might get him back up on the corcuit anyway lol.

Always thought Boston should've given him a shot as a bench player. They already tried drafting a poor mans version in jr Gliddens (over DeAndre Jordan...ugh)

Reaction Score
My guess is the NCAA goes back to its original position that this is an academic issue and should be dealt with by academic "regulators" which of course is exactly what UNC is saying. If that happens one would like to think the school would step up and self impose penalties, but that isn't likely either.

Reaction Score
This seems so complicated with its layers of misdirection. I thought the athletic issue was if any ineligible athletes participated in NCAA sanctioned games, and if the frequency rose to a highr systemic issue.

I don't care about the academic collusion. All that maters is if players who participated in official games were eligible at that time, if the fake courses are removed from their transcripts.

I expect UNC deserves the death penalty.

Reaction Score
This seems so complicated with its layers of misdirection. I thought the athletic issue was if any ineligible athletes participated in NCAA sanctioned games, and if the frequency rose to a higher systemic issue.

I don't care about the academic collusion. All that maters is if players who participated in official games were eligible at that time, if the fake courses are removed from their transcripts.

I expect UNC deserves the death penalty.

What you describe is less than what Syracuse did, so... it would be a slap of the hand if that's all it was. Instead, we have an academic advisor who puts the coaches in meetings with her discussing the plan to put bball players in fake classes. That is egregious.

Eligibility is a postseason ban plus overturning the games in which ineligible payers took part. This is much worse than that. Especially since you can be like Syracuse and self-ban in a way that doesn't hurt the following year's recruiting class.

Reaction Score
What you describe is less than what Syracuse did, so... it would be a slap of the hand if that's all it was. Instead, we have an academic advisor who puts the coaches in meetings with her discussing the plan to put bball players in fake classes. That is egregious.

Eligibility is a postseason ban plus overturning the games in which ineligible payers took part. This is much worse than that. Especially since you can be like Syracuse and self-ban in a way that doesn't hurt the following year's recruiting class.
Are you sure the ban is limited to one year? My thoughts were that UNC did it for nearly 20 years with the frequency of a systemic process. If you go after "how many" and for "how long you" may avoid the jurisdiction issues. ... I'll see if I can find the reg.

Reaction Score
Are you sure the ban is limited to one year? My thoughts were that UNC did it for nearly 20 years with the frequency of a systemic process. If you go after "how many" and for "how long you" may avoid the jurisdiction issues. ... I'll see if I can find the reg.

Syracuse did it all the way back to 2003 or beyond, but conveniently they stated it from 2004 on.

Plus, there was the matter of actual money exchanging hands at the YMCA where some players volunteered.

Reaction Score
My guess is the NCAA goes back to its original position that this is an academic issue and should be dealt with by academic "regulators" which of course is exactly what UNC is saying. If that happens one would like to think the school would step up and self impose penalties, but that isn't likely either.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. UNC, the academic pillar of the student athlete of the ACC, is too big to fail. The NCAA are little more than money-grubbing creeps protecting their own backsides.
In the real world, if two years of substandard grades caused UCONN basketball one year of the tournament, what is the proper punishment for two decades of cheating, non-courses for credit and intimidation of the academic community to keep the shams going? Math majors, please help. I can't count that high.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I think you're right. UNC, the academic pillar of the student athlete of the ACC, is too big to fail. The NCAA are little more than money-grubbing creeps protecting their own backsides.
In the real world, if two years of substandard grades caused UConn basketball one year of the tournament, what is the proper punishment for two decades of cheating, non-courses for credit and intimidation of the academic community to keep the shams going? Math majors, please help. I can't count that high.
Zero.

Reaction Score

UNC and BEAU BERGDAHL. Both MIA and never to be punished. EVER !

Reaction Score
I went searching the NCA website for the maximum NCAA punishment for use of ineligible players. All I've found is the minimum punishment of forfeiting all games in which ineligible players were used.

I believe I stumbled onto what appears to be the basis of the UNC issues....copied below.

If I read it correctly, even if academics is the purview of the accrediting body, all instances involving the participation of a staff member must be reported to the NCAA.

So the NCAA does have jurisdiction... this is not a get out of jail free card.

I also found a handful of instances where the NCAA meted out the Death Penalty, banning teams from playing a sport for one year. Again, I couldn't find an upper limit for punishment.

"Council clarifies academic misconduct rules
April 15, 2014 4:39pmMichelle Brutlag Hosick
The Division I Legislative Council reinforced Tuesday the membership’s belief that academic standards and policies governing misconduct are the responsibility of individual schools and their accreditation body at a meeting in Indianapolis.

The Council approved an interpretation that clarifies the membership’s position that it is a school’s responsibility to decide whether or not misconduct involving current or future student-athletes or school staff has occurred and, if it has, to make sure the case is handled according to policies applicable to all students.

“This clarification of the current rules is a first step toward a broader membership discussion of academic misconduct that will occur in the new governance structure,” said Kevin Lennon, vice president of academic and membership affairs.

The Legislative Council also confirmed that schools that determine academic misconduct has occurred must report it to the NCAA when:

• a staff member is involved in arranging for false credit or transcripts for a student-athlete or future student-athlete;
  • a student-athlete or prospect is involved in arranging for false credit or transcripts; or
  • a student-athlete competes while ineligible as the result of academic misconduct.
Other academic offenses by student-athletes (cheating on a test, plagiarizing on a paper) do not need to be reported if the cheating doesn’t result in a student-athlete getting a grade he or she didn’t earn that makes him or her fraudulently eligible to compete. However, all cases must follow the same academic policies the school has for all its students."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom