OT: UK loses another recruit | The Boneyard

OT: UK loses another recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LaGerald Vick was supposed to visit Kentucky either today or tomorrow, and instead commits to Kansas. UK has a great class, but it's strange to see them missing so much this spring.

Also, this kid had just decommitted from SMU.

Reaction Score
It's a great class in that it's got great high-end talent, but they needed a big class to replace all of the departing players, and that doesn't appear to be forthcoming. Cal is having issues. I don't know if other teams have figured out how to counter what he's selling, or what the problem is, but he can't be bringing in such a small class after losing 7 of his top 8 players.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think kids are wary of being platooned. Kid like Dakari Johnson, 5 star recruit, barely played at times. Somewhere else he gets way more burn. You don't want to be the 5 star kid who gets turned in to "that guy".
Alex Poythress.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think it has to do with this past season for sure, but you have to question these kids who are sure fire top picks, because they already know that Kentucky has plenty of PT available. If these kids were picking Duke/Kansas over Kentucky a month or two back, it would be because of the past year.

So glad its happening, because it opens up the possibility that Cal at least isn't paying kids. If he were to continue getting 5 top recruits every year regardless of if the PT is there for them... it would leave all of us on the outside with only one possible thought to come up with.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think it has to do with this past season for sure, but you have to question these kids who are sure fire top picks, because they already know that Kentucky has plenty of PT available. If these kids were picking Duke/Kansas over Kentucky a month or two back, it would be because of the past year.

So glad its happening, because it opens up the possibility that Cal at least isn't paying kids. If he were to continue getting 5 top recruits every year regardless of if the PT is there for them... it would leave all of us on the outside with only one possible thought to come up with.

You have to wonder if they go 40-0 last year that it's any different. Amazing what one loss and a mass exodus can do considering the season they had.

Reaction Score
This is what my pitch to a recruit would be if I was competing with squid:
"You can come here, a top 20 school, and you'll play 30 to 40 minutes a game, virtually guaranteed. You'll have tremendous TV exposure, and you'll learn a bunch of in game skills that you can't learn in practice. Or, you can go to UK, get platooned, spend half the game on the bench, and get TV exposure during the preseason."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
95% of what UK was selling was the power of their brand to generate exposure for the kids passing through the program. The log jam completely blew up the model. It took away the guarantee of the hype and added risk of not even seeing the floor.

Reaction Score
This is what my pitch to a recruit would be if I was competing with squid:
"You can come here, a top 20 school, and you'll play 30 to 40 minutes a game, virtually guaranteed. You'll have tremendous TV exposure, and you'll learn a bunch of in game skills that you can't learn in practice. Or, you can go to UK, get platooned, spend half the game on the bench, and get TV exposure during the preseason."

I'll give you the platoon part, but the UK guys get assloads of exposure. I mean Marcus Lee, he of the career 2.5ppg, is a fairly household name in college basketball and has multiple articles covering his "return to UK."

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They get a ton of exposure but losing out recruits this spring has to do with the two team rotation that was employed this past winter has young players going elsewhere to be the stars.

Reaction Score
They're pretty confident that they'll get Jamal Murray for 2015.

Reaction Score
ON TWITTER: John Calipari just made it known that he is interested the coaching Anthony Davis again with the Pelicans.

Reactions: caw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky