OT: UConn Baseball in Regionals | The Boneyard

OT: UConn Baseball in Regionals

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As some of you may recall, I made a very long-winded post this past winter extolling this year's UConn baseball team. Well, after a year of great success in the face of some horrible luck as it pertained to injuries, the Diamond Dogs were awarded an at-large berth as a #2 seed in the Conway, SC Regional (alongside host Coastal Carolina, Washington, and LIU-Brooklyn). Multiple columnists who cover Division I baseball have remarked that our Huskies were indeed robbed as a potential Regional host, further emphasizing the respect our banged-up Huskies have earned within the context of the national collegiate baseball scene.

UConn is one of the strongest 2 seeds in the country, and faces one of the tourney's weakest 1 seeds (CCU) in their Regional. On the other side of the bracket, the Stanford Regional (the winner of whom will face the winner of the Conway Regional) is regarded as one of the most "up-for-grabs" Regionals in the entire tournament. What this means for us is...if things break right, there's a chance that the UConn Huskies could be on their way to Omaha for the first time in 39 years.

I encourage all of you to follow the discourse and game-by-game commentary that will occur in the UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports forum over the next weekend or so. Diehard UConn baseball fans like @dbmill, @huskymedic, @uconnbaseball, @ATLDYKA, @Guapo, and others bring to the table both a passion for UConn baseball and an impressive knowledge of the collegiate game, creating an environment that is welcoming of even the most casual (;)) fans. Specifically, the "Huskies' Road to Omaha 2018" thread (Huskies’ Road to Omaha 2018) offers a consolidated location for we Husky faithful to discuss the team's performance as we battle the Inferior Huskies and any other foes we may meet along the way.

It's been a tough year for those of us who primarily follow basketball and/or football. Here's hoping a gritty, blue-collar UConn team with the talent to make a deep NCAA tourney run can bring the Husky faithful some much-needed joy.

Reaction Score
You prefaced this long winded post by referencing your last long winded post, I'm beginning to think you would hate Twitter.

Cool story though, I'll follow them.

Reaction Score
As some of you may recall, I made a very long-winded post this past winter extolling this year's UConn baseball team. Well, after a year of great success in the face of some horrible luck as it pertained to injuries, the Diamond Dogs were awarded an at-large berth as a #2 seed in the Conway, SC Regional (alongside host Coastal Carolina, Washington, and LIU-Brooklyn). Multiple columnists who cover Division I baseball have remarked that our Huskies were indeed robbed as a potential Regional host, further emphasizing the respect our banged-up Huskies have earned within the context of the national collegiate baseball scene.

UConn is one of the strongest 2 seeds in the country, and faces one of the tourney's weakest 1 seeds (CCU) in their Regional. On the other side of the bracket, the Stanford Regional (the winner of whom will face the winner of the Conway Regional) is regarded as one of the most "up-for-grabs" Regionals in the entire tournament. What this means for us is...if things break right, there's a chance that the UConn Huskies could be on their way to Omaha for the first time in 39 years.

I encourage all of you to follow the discourse and game-by-game commentary that will occur in the UConn Baseball and Olympic Sports forum over the next weekend or so. Diehard UConn baseball fans like @dbmill, @huskymedic, @uconnbaseball, @ATLDYKA, @Guapo, and others bring to the table both a passion for UConn baseball and an impressive knowledge of the collegiate game, creating an environment that is welcoming of even the most casual (;)) fans. Specifically, the "Huskies' Road to Omaha 2018" thread (Huskies’ Road to Omaha 2018) offers a consolidated location for we Husky faithful to discuss the team's performance as we battle the Inferior Huskies and any other foes we may meet along the way.

It's been a tough year for those of us who primarily follow basketball and/or football. Here's hoping a gritty, blue-collar UConn team with the talent to make a deep NCAA tourney run can bring the Husky faithful some much-needed joy.

Great post. I remember the last time the Huskies played South Carolina in the Regionals.

It would be great for them to get to the Super Regionals.

I'll definitely be tuning in.

Go Uconn.

Reaction Score
Dude, you don't have @ucjoet on your list of diehards, but you have @Guapo?

List of diehards on the BY never go well.
I did not take being off list personally, so no problem what so ever. I learned a long time ago, not to make lists because even with the best intentions someone gets left out. I do thank the people that stuck up for me.

As I have said before, I am not even close to being best or most knowledgeable baseball poster. Many of you here ( will not list) have a great deal more knowledge and insight into our team. I just happened to manage a chart that gives us a Macro view on the season.

Thanks to all that keep us updated during games and for info on team in general. Even though the chart is retired for this year. We have much more business to take care of ( starting tomorrow at noon).

GO Huskies !!!!

Reaction Score
They lost 7-1 from what I understand, so now what? They get a second chance as far as I understand, but against who and when (and why?) I do not totally get how college baseball post season works so just posting to understand how everything works. Are they totally screwed or do they still have a chance to do great things?

Reaction Score
They lost 7-1 from what I understand, so now what? They get a second chance as far as I understand, but against who and when (and why?) I do not totally get how college baseball post season works so just posting to understand how everything works. Are they totally screwed or do they still have a chance to do great things?

They play LIU-Brooklyn tomorrow @ noon. Loser goes home (double elimination format for Regional). When they went to the Super Regional in 2011, they lost the first game of the Regional.

Reaction Score

Post season college baseball tournaments are generally double elimination, you have to lose two games before you get sent packing. There is a great advantage to staying in the winners bracket, as a team ends up playing fewer games, which has the effect of not putting as much strain on a team's pitching staff. The odds are against UConn at this point, but teams have come out of the losers bracket to win these things.

Reaction Score
Post season college baseball tournaments are generally double elimination, you have to lose two games before you get sent packing. There is a great advantage to staying in the winners bracket, as a team ends up playing fewer games, which has the effect of not putting as much strain on a team's pitching staff. The odds are against UConn at this point, but teams have come out of the losers bracket to win these things.
Well, Uconn tends to kick butt in the underdog role so hoping they can still advance deep into this!

Reaction Score
UConn lost to Washington, BUT

You have to love the level of self centered entitlement it takes a team like NC State - who were a borderline regional host - to get their breaks beaten off by Army and not shake their hands. Army players don't even play summer ball and lose out on 2-3 months of development *in addition to* signing up for the freaking army.

And they whacked you. But no handshake.

Reaction Score
Well, Uconn tends to kick butt in the underdog role so hoping they can still advance deep into this!

Not likely. Tough regional, love this Huskies team but losing that first game is rough.

The NCAA baseball tournament is NOT the other NCAA sports. Regionals are waaaaay more balanced.

Reaction Score

So UConn has to win 4 in a row to advance?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom