OT- UConn Alumni network brainstorm | The Boneyard

OT- UConn Alumni network brainstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We can continue our discussion from the "Big Things Coming In Storrs (Campus expansion)" thread.

It would be great to get a group together to start making changes with engaging alumni/ building an Alumni network and any other things that will help to improve UConn.

The plan right now is to brainstorm some ideas on the forum and then further discuss plans at the football games.

Reaction Score
Just got a note from the Director of Alumni Relations - due to speak with him Thursday or Friday. Apparently my message is getting through. :)

This is a good place to start, maybe. The last known alumni association strategic plan expired on June 30, 2014 as far as I can tell. Looks like a new plan should be in the works and ready to be unveiled at any time, if it hasn't been already. I'd ask for it. I'm an alumni, and I haven't heard of it yet. Maybe I missed it.

http://uconnalumni.com/documents/pdf/2013/strategic_plan_2009.pdf

Another good place to start would be to evaluate the quality, content, and usage of the alumni contact information and current job status, location, etc. database.

Reaction Score
As I said in the other thread, I'd like to see the school reach out to Alumni and their place of employment to try to build a recruiting network for current students, unemployed or career change looking alumni. I like to really see a program set up that really engages local companies (and not just UTC, Unilever, Sun Products and EB) and works with them to help place current students or alumni in positions that relate to their degree. Work with the HR departments to set up actual career fairs that companies will want to come to, to accept resumes or even do spot interviews. I'd also would this program to incorporate such things as how to write a resume seminars, seminars on how to look for a job using the internet and other alternatives (this I think would be the biggest help to any current student or recent grad, I know it would even help me now) and things like that. If done correctly, I would happily pay for all of this to not only help me network, but also teach me better ways to find a job when looking because right now I'm failing miserably.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
As an alumnus, I have considered mentoring, is that something they currently offer?

Reaction Score
RedSoloCup said:
As an alumnus, I have considered mentoring, is that something they currently offer?

A quick look at the alumni association Career Network website suggests students, alumni (newer and more experienced alike), and companies might find opportunities to both benefit and help. For example, there are several relevant links including mentoring, networking, etc.

http://uconnalumni.com/index.php/alumni/work/networking/career-networking

Reaction Score

Some majors have formal mentorship programs. The Healthcare management program did when I was at school. They match up one student with one mentor.

I do informal mentoring for business school students. I think that getting more people involved with mentoring will be a huge benefit to the current students and rewarding for alumni and other community members.

Reaction Score
I help run the LA Chapter of the Alumni Association out here and, based off recent conversations had with my points of contact in Storrs, a new strategic plan is indeed in the works and should be unveiled shortly. They just needed to get the new head of the organization up and running. I believe he/she started this month.

Reaction Score
FluxTZ said:
I help run the LA Chapter of the Alumni Association out here and, based off recent conversations had with my points of contact in Storrs, a new strategic plan is indeed in the works and should be unveiled shortly. They just needed to get the new head of the organization up and running. I believe he/she started this month.

She did. But it is all in the execution. And if you saw what went on in the election this year you would not be so optimistic.

Reaction Score
And to be clear. She is new. And wasn't part of the process. But there are a lot of things to fix before they can execute anything.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am done in a leadership capacity with the Alumni Association at the end of the month. There are networking and mentoring opportunities through the association. JMoney and I have been witness to some incredible things but the new Director is very competant and has the time to get things running more smoothly.

We as Alumni need to support the school monetarily and also through employing recent grads. The chapters will still run events to get alumni together and those are always fun.

Reaction Score
She did. But it is all in the execution. And if you saw what went on in the election this year you would not be so optimistic.

I agree that execution is everything. On paper uconn is doing a lot of things right, but it is not getting the desired results.

Reaction Score

I think most football folks would agree that regardless of the subject, a plan on paper is worth less than a roll of Tyler Phommachanh. It's all about the execution of the plan. Once there is something like a strategic plan outlined though, with goals specifically set up, then people can start asking questions as to how those goals are going to be achieved, and start looking for results on the way to achieving those goals.

(FWIW: the fact that a place like the Boneyard, is where ideas and networking like this is being cultivated, is an indictment of the methods of the old guard enough in itself.)

Keep up the good fight.

Reaction Score
Just got off the phone with Nathan Ives (Director of Alumni Relations). I gave him some of the history and my concerns, he is definitely willing to help. I'm going to go up and spend a full day with undergrads and MBAs in November. I've told him there are lots of other alums that want to get involved. So stay tuned...

Reaction Score
Spent the day at the School of Business yesterday as "Alumni in Residence". Spent about 4 hours with a couple of groups of business students. Great time.

Really impressed with the progress the school is making with regards to alumni outreach and expanding the worldview beyond Hartford.

Reaction Score
Each school does its own mentoring and Alumni outreach program for students as I understand it. I responded to an alumni email a few years back and volunteered to participate. The event is a great opportunity to help students prepare for life after Uconn in terms of getting into the workforce. It was a great experience for me but the fact that it takes place in a Sat makes it difficult with the kids schedules etc...
I will do it again this year as the kids hockey schedules prevented it last year.

Reaction Score
Really impressed with the progress the school is making with regards to alumni outreach and expanding the worldview beyond Hartford.
Great to hear UCONN is enhancing its alumni outreach, yet the reference to expanding the worldview beyond Hartford prompted a quick chuckle. Not exactly setting the bar too high, but fortunately the school continues to enhance its international opportunities for interested students.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As I said in the other thread, I'd like to see the school reach out to Alumni and their place of employment to try to build a recruiting network for current students, unemployed or career change looking alumni. I like to really see a program set up that really engages local companies (and not just UTC, Unilever, Sun Products and EB) and works with them to help place current students or alumni in positions that relate to their degree. Work with the HR departments to set up actual career fairs that companies will want to come to, to accept resumes or even do spot interviews. I'd also would this program to incorporate such things as how to write a resume seminars, seminars on how to look for a job using the internet and other alternatives (this I think would be the biggest help to any current student or recent grad, I know it would even help me now) and things like that. If done correctly, I would happily pay for all of this to not only help me network, but also teach me better ways to find a job when looking because right now I'm failing miserably.

What's your degree in?

Reaction Score
Great to hear UCONN is enhancing its alumni outreach, yet the reference to expanding the worldview beyond Hartford prompted a quick chuckle. Not exactly setting the bar too high, but fortunately the school continues to enhance its international opportunities for interested students.

That's exactly the point. For so long if you got outside the radio signal range of WTIC the school pretended you didn't exist (other than to call and ask for money). So much low hanging fruit it is laughable. But you have to start somewhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Chemical Engineering

If you ever consider an actuarial path with that math background drop me a PM. Don't know how old you are but if you are anyone else here was interested in an entry level job in insurance that starts in the mid 40s drop me a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom