OT - UCF hires Johnny Dawkins | The Boneyard

OT - UCF hires Johnny Dawkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
The Cardinal were 156-115 in Dawkins' tenure.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow
A Puke castoff
Don't know if its an improvement over last coach - bench and game wise
But probably will be able to attract better players
Overall - don't care for the guy but he brings additional national exposure to the league

Reaction Score
Wow.....how the mighty have fallen. He was supposed to be a shoe in to replace K, now he's in the bottom third of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Pretty meh. But certainly an upgrade from Jones. Can he recruit? He always appeared kinda quiet on interviews.

Reaction Score
Crappy hire. This is a publicity hire, nothing else.

Reaction Score
Crappy hire. This is a publicity hire, nothing else.
Feels like it. Surprised after it seemed like he made a pretty aggressive hire in Frost on the football side. He did not handle the firing well to the players and families, in terms of timing. White losing some luster in my eyes. (I live down here so follow it closer than most)

Reaction Score
In 8 years at Stanford he made it to one NCAA Tournament and 2 NIT Championships. Stanford also won 20 or more games in 4 of those years he was there. Lets put it this way, if he has those same results as UCF, the one good thing about it is they probably will be in the top 100 RPI which is good for us and good for the conference.

Reaction Score
No question an upgrade from Donnie Jones. He will be like a Larry Coker FB Coach at Miami in early part of 2000s and end up at some podunk school because he was in way over his head and everyone knew it. See where Jones ends up if he's a head coach, it will be low level job. He could always try to be an assistant again and probably go to a higher level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In 8 years at Stanford he made it to one NCAA Tournament and 2 NIT Championships. Stanford also won 20 or more games in 4 of those years he was there. Lets put it this way, if he has those same results as UCF, the one good thing about it is they probably will be in the top 100 RPI which is good for us and good for the conference.

And we might as well say it, but he'll be able to recruit from a much larger pool than at Stanford (academics).

Reaction Score
UCF's immediate future would seem to depend on the development of Tacko Fall. If Dawkins is the guy to get the most out of him, then it's a good hire.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
UCF's immediate future would seem to depend on the development of Tacko Fall. If Dawkins is the guy to get the most out of him, then it's a good hire.
Agreed. I saw Fall in person this year and that is one very large man.

Reaction Score

The first thing he should try is playing Fall more than 18 minutes/game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dawkins beat us in our championship year. Seems like a pretty good hire to me.

Reaction Score
Dawkins is a welcome addition to UCF & this conference we are in. Regardless of record, he did well at Stanford. The contrast to Montgomery is hard ... Mike Montgomery is a top dozen of coaches in his era.

Dawkins - I feel - will do great recruiting in their region & that state. He's focused. He got good athletes at Stanford. He had a team that knew their roles. He's far better than Chris Collins or the developing Wojo. I think he'll raise that Program.

And Danny White? Proves that he is an AD to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom