OT: U.S. swimmers claim golds, then lose them for swimming relay out of order | The Boneyard

OT: U.S. swimmers claim golds, then lose them for swimming relay out of order

Reaction Score
The United States swimming foursome of Caeleb Dressel, Blake Pieroni, Zach Apple and Nathan Adrian thought they had broken a record Saturday at the 2018 Pan Pacific Championships in Tokyo. They had swam the men’s 400-meter freestyle relay in 3:11.67, the fastest-ever time at the quadrennial meet.

They thought they had claimed golds, and celebrated accordingly. They stood atop the podium. They savored the medal ceremony.

By the end of the night, however, they were without medals altogether.

U.S. swimmers claim golds, then lose them for swimming relay out of order

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In 1972, the US sprint coach in Track and Field gave the wrong time to his sprinters for their opening heats in the 100 meters. As a result, the top two Americans were disqualified, with the 3rd US sprinter just barely making his heat on time. Ultimately, the 3rd US sprinter medaled behind the winner from Russia. The US coach was dropped from US Track and Field permanently.

At world and Olympic championships the primary role of coaches in individual vs team sports is to communicate schedules and handle administrative responsibilities. The coaches responsible for this debacle should never again be allowed to coach the US team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In 1972, the US sprint coach in Track and Field gave the wrong time to his sprinters for their opening heats in the 100 meters. As a result, the top two Americans were disqualified, with the 3rd US sprinter just barely making his heat on time. Ultimately, the 3rd US sprinter medaled behind the winner from Russia. The US coach was dropped from US Track and Field permanently.

At world and Olympic championships the primary role of coaches in individual vs team sports is to communicate schedules and handle administrative responsibilities. The coaches responsible for this debacle should never again be allowed to coach the US team.
I understand the rule and the need for protocol, but what does it matter which swimmer swims which leg as long as the scheduled swimmers line up and someone jumps in the pool? Seems to me a silly, antiquated rule.

Reaction Score
I understand the rule and the need for protocol, but what does it matter which swimmer swims which leg as long as the scheduled swimmers line up and someone jumps in the pool? Seems to me a silly, antiquated rule.
Agree with you Jordy.

Why you need to follow which swimmer swims which leg? As well as there are 4 people and swim in the same lane on the same schedule.

Most people said it is the rule but I don't like this rule too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with your point, but that doesn't excuse the coaches who screwed up.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agree with your point, but that doesn't excuse the coaches who screwed up.
Absolutely. Just because you don't agree with the law doesn't mean you have no responsibility to abide by it.

Reaction Score
as this is the law, clearly all have to go by it and the coach responsible for this should be reprimanded but it is a stupid regulation...what difference does it make as all 4 swimmers have to swim the exact distance at the exact same discipline...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom