OT: U.S. Open....the winners were | The Boneyard

OT: U.S. Open....the winners were

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Justin Rose and Merion. Tremendously entertaining weekend!
It won't be 32 years till the USGA comes back to Merion [last held the Open in 1981].
Won't be more than 6 majors till Rose wins another.

Very cool Opens next year. Men at Pinehurst #2...the women play their Open at #2 the very next week....first time ever they are trying that [I assume].

Reaction Score
Justin Rose and Merion. Tremendously entertaining weekend!
It won't be 32 years till the USGA comes back to Merion [last held the Open in 1981].
Won't be more than 6 majors till Rose wins another.

Very cool Opens next year. Men at Pinehurst #2...the women play their Open at #2 the very next week....first time ever they are trying that [I assume].
Why would they want to put the greens-keeping staff through that mess?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Best set up I have watched in an Open in a long time on my all time favorite course. You have hit shots to win there. Shots with many different clubs.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Why would they want to put the greens-keeping staff through that mess?

Having just attended one round at Merion, I can see a definite economy to it: you have to do an incredible logistics job to host an Open. Miles of rope "fencing", miles of power cables, TV towers, spectator stands, concession stands, merchandise pavilions, corporate tents, security work, liason with the club, course staff, neighbors, host community, transportation infrastructure, water.sewerage, medical - rather than do all that twice, this allows you to do it once.

The host community and course has to bear the disruption twice as long, but they get twice as many tourist dollars in their lodging, food service, parking, souvenir etc., industry. It's much easier for just about everybody else involved. The one potential extra downside I see is, the host course is now twice as vulnerable to potential damage if the weather is wet..and, as you say, the course staff is gonna need a loooong break to recover.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Best set up I have watched in an Open in a long time on my all time favorite course. You have hit shots to win there. Shots with many different clubs.
You have got to be kidding me. This was the most tricked up course in ages. At par 70, players shooting par were required to hit 34 shots and 36 putts (assuming they hit every green). Of the 34 shots, ELEVEN were blind shots (basically 33%). Add an out-of-bounds that was 18 INCHES from the edge of the fairway because they moved the fairway. Add two par fives that were 'deemed' par fours by the gurus at the USGA. Not one of the top players in the world birdied the 18th the last two days. What's next? Declaring the 100 yd. par three a par two?" Add ultra narrow fairways and penal rough. How about a par three that Mickelson couldn't reach because he wasn't carrying a driver? But sacred 'par' was protected so the blue jackets no doubt were overjoyed. It was a joke. Give me the Masters, the British Open or the PGA any day.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You have got to be kidding me. This was the most tricked up course in ages. At par 70, players shooting par were required to hit 34 shots and 36 putts (assuming they hit every green). Of the 34 shots, ELEVEN were blind shots (basically 33%). Add an out-of-bounds that was 18 INCHES from the edge of the fairway because they moved the fairway. Add two par fives that were 'deemed' par fours by the gurus at the USGA. Not one of the top players in the world birdied the 18th the last two days. What's next? Declaring the 100 yd. par three a par two?" Add ultra narrow fairways and penal rough. How about a par three that Mickelson couldn't reach because he wasn't carrying a driver? But sacred 'par' was protected so the blue jackets no doubt were overjoyed. It was a joke. Give me the Masters, the British Open or the PGA any day.
Sorry, pap, very little whining from the pros this. The course was pretty much what one sees most days. Phil M called it the best setup in years. Marion always has blind shots because the hills.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Another winner...this week's GHO. Justin Rose had entered and is honoring that. The Courant reported that
the director of the tourney got a call from Justin's phone and was dreading that Justin might pull out.
It was his wife saying that they'll be there. It will give our event some needed sizzle.

Another possible winner: courses like Merion....not real long.....tons of history...olde style.
Specificially The Country Club near Boston....Ouimet winning way back in the day...held the Open in 1963
and 1988....the Ryder Cup brouhaha on the 17th green in 1999.

Interesting mix of courses coming up: Oakmont/Winged Foot/Pebble....traditional sites.
A couple of new ones...Chambers Bay [Washington state]...a course in Wisconsin [Erin Hills?].
They gave a test run to Chambers Bay with the US Amamteur a few years ago and I think they are doing the same for the Wisconsin in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom