OT: Two Bearden Murals At XL Center Appraised At $4 Million | The Boneyard

OT: Two Bearden Murals At XL Center Appraised At $4 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HARTFORD The abstract murals at the XL Center have gone largely underappreciated — even unnoticed — for years, but now they will be catching a lot more attention: Turns out, they are worth millions of dollars.

Two murals by Harlem Renaissance artist Romare Bearden have been valued at $4.2 million by a New York appraiser. The city of Hartford hired the appraiser in anticipation of moving the murals beforecoming renovations to the XL Center arena.

The works, intended as public art, were commissioned in 1980 for what was then known as the Hartford Civic Center. The murals — the larger being 16 feet by 10 feet — are hung in the concourse in the northwest corner, above entrance doors to the arena.

The appraisal, made public this week, was sought once it became clear the murals wouldn't be used as part of a $35 million renovation to the aging building.

The appraisal, by Michael R. Chisolm, pegged "Untitled," representing music and other cultural events, at $2 million. "Olympics," depicting sporting events and represented by a single but divided athlete, is valued at $2.2 million. The athlete is a black basketball player on one side and a white hockey player on the other.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-xl-center-murals-appraisal-20140520,0,5888023.story
hc-xl-center-murals-appraisal-20140520

Reaction Score
awesome.

I guess in 2 days we will be hearing that the rest room signs at Yum Yum are Jean-Michel Basquiat originals valued at $ 5m a pop.

Reaction Score
Interesting choice in colors with the hockey and basketball players.

Reaction Score
Whenever I see those paintings it reminds me of the old smoke filled intermissions of the Whaler games. Needed a gas mask to navigate a run to the bathroom in between periods.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would literally not pay a single cent for either. The things you could buy for $4M and someone may blow it on that? God.

Reaction Score
I would literally not pay a single cent for either. The things you could buy for $4M and someone may blow it on that? God.

It's worse. I've never heard of Romare Bearden; which, according to my wife, represents a major loop hole in my education. Anyway, she says she read he has murals appraised for as much as $15 Million. Ask me? She's spending too much time reading the "other" parts of the paper.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If they think it's going to continue to appreciate it's not blowing it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If they think it's going to continue to appreciate it's not blowing it.

Point being, the fact that someone could value that garbage at 4M is literally insane.

Reaction Score
Point being, the fact that someone could value that garbage at 4M is literally insane.
I pretty much feel that way about almost all "expensive" art I have ever seen. Not meant for guys like us, I guess.

Reaction Score
Why is it garbage? Art is in the eye of the beholder, I happen to like the murals.

Reaction Score
They're one of a kind items, just like any other piece of art. These were good enough to be up in the Civic Center for 30+ years. I really hope Hartford keeps them. That would only add to the history and value of the works.

Reaction Score
Just a bump, but these paintings are not garbage. Does anyone call Diego Rivera's work garbage? The painter is an African-American, one of the best of the Harlem Renaissance movenment. These are HUGE. Put them in Wadsworth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom