OT: Turnips and Mincemeat Pie | The Boneyard

OT: Turnips and Mincemeat Pie

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They've been present at every Thanksgiving meal I've ever attended, but I've never actually seen anyone eat them. Does anyone actually consume these or are they just a formality?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
They've been present at every Thanksgiving meal I've ever attended, but I've never actually seen anyone eat them. Does anyone actually consume these or are they just a formality?
Whipped turnips are good. My mother used to make mincemeat pie, I never tried it

Reaction Score
Turnips are there for people 70+. They love em. I wouldn’t ever let it touch my plate.

Reaction Score
I'm half that age and enjoy a good buttered, seasoned and mashed rutabaga.

Reaction Score
I'm always disappointed when I dig into what I believe to be mashed sweet potatoes topped with pecans and instead get turnips

Reaction Score
I always have a slice of mincemeat pie for dessert. I don't think I've ever had a turnip.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
6 hours after you posted this, it's got a handful of replies. Now that I'm stuffed & in a pre-game lull, I got curious about the topic.
But that's as close as I'm getting to either of those foods.
Turnip is good when you're making a medicinal chicken soup though.

Reaction Score

Love mincemeat pie, but the mincemeat my grandmother made (she was an old northern new englander) was just dried fruits and dates. Super tasty.

Reaction Score
My tastes are plebeian: Turkey, mashed potatoes w/gravy and the mandatory green bean casserole for color. Keep the squash, turnips, minced pie, yams, sweet potatoes, broccoli and asparagus casseroles. I don't know who eats that stuff but it isn't me.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If mince meat pie is the same as tourtiere, you’re missing out.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Parsnips > turnips, but I don't need either.

Mincemeat pie? Are you Pip from Great Expectations? Nobody here eats that.

We don't either, but for some reason it's always there anyway. Perhaps Pip was based on whichever ancestor of mine started the tradition.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

It’s like fruitcake at Xmas. I’ve never seen one eaten. There may be only one fruitcake on earth that just keeps getting regifted

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My m-in-law serves turnips. They are okay but pretty much there for color.

Love sweet potatoes though.

Reaction Score
Love mincemeat pie, but the mincemeat my grandmother made (she was an old northern new englander) was just dried fruits and dates. Super tasty.

Yeah, I don't think people even know what it is. It needs a rebranding. The one I have is basically apples, cherries, dates, raisins and peaches. No meat to be found.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
My mom still makes a version of mincemeat with only the currants and raisins that is absolutely delicious. Baked on a flat cookie sheet with 2 crusts. Oddly she didn’t this year.

As for turnips, we have them with carrots. If they aren’t on the menu one year I only miss them because of tradition.

Reaction Score
Mincemeat is ok when done well. The meat, even in versions that actually have meat, is undetectable. My problem with it is that it is way too strong. Kind of an overload of sweet, tart, clove flavor that’s just too much for most people. I think mincemeat will be gone in 10-15 years. Younger people (under 65) just don’t seem to eat it and I doubt they’ll make it for tradition’s sake.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom