OT: Tree removal

TRest

Horrible
Got a letter from the town stating my large, dying tree nearby the road presents a hazard and needs to be removed. Can anyone refer a competent service in the Hartford County area? I don't care if they pull the effer down with their stupid diesel pickup, as it is away from the house and any real landscaping.

Got a letter from the town stating my large, dying tree nearby the road presents a hazard and needs to be removed. Can anyone refer a competent service in the Hartford County area? I don't care if they pull the effer down with their stupid diesel pickup, as it is away from the house and any real landscaping.
Make the town do it. At least in my town, if it's close enough to the road the town will take it down if it's a hazard (source: worked for the town during my college summers and took many a tree down).

TRest

Horrible
Make the town do it. At least in my town, if it's close enough to the road the town will take it down if it's a hazard (source: worked for the town during my college summers and took many a tree down).
They sent me a certified letter saying I have to make plans. I'm about to check the statute they reference, my fear is they will do it and send me an inflated bill.

They sent me a certified letter saying I have to make plans. I'm about to check the statute they reference, my fear is they will do it and send me an inflated bill.
There shouldn't be a charge. We took them down for free if we deemed them a hazard. Definitely look into that. I worked in newington FYI.

Our form online looks like this: Newington, CT

Usually there's a huge backlog of requests but the town would send someone out to check each request and see if it was valid, and we'd also drive around looking for potential hazards and knock on the homeowners doors or leave letters asking if we could take it down.

TRest

Horrible
There shouldn't be a charge. We took them down for free if we deemed them a hazard. Definitely look into that. I worked in newington FYI.

Our form online looks like this: Newington, CT

Usually there's a huge backlog of requests but the town would send someone out to check each request and see if it was valid, and we'd also drive around looking for potential hazards and knock on the homeowners doors or leave letters asking if we could take it down.
Yes, they are hoping I will foot the bill. Here's the key language:
"Whenever, in the opinion of the tree warden, the public safety demands the removal or pruning of any tree or shrub under the tree warden's control, the tree warden may cause such tree, shrub or group of shrubs to be removed or pruned at the expense of the town or borough and the selectmen or borough warden shall order paid to the person performing such work such reasonable compensation therefor as may be determined and approved in writing by the tree warden."

Somebody's getting a sternly-worded letter tomorrow.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Isn't it something like they "own" ten feet in from the road? If it's near wires I think they need to have ui do it

I had eleven trees (each 40+ feet tall) by the road. They were diseased and posed a threat to persons, the road and power lines. Each year I asked the power company to take them down. Each year they refused - that is until the spring of 2016. That spring they stopped by and asked if they could take them down. I have no clue why they finally changed their mind but I'm sure it saved me a bunch of money and saved the power company a lot of money as well, especially when you consider the possible consequences of those trees coming down and bringing power lines with them.

TRest

Horrible
Isn't it something like they "own" ten feet in from the road? If it's near wires I think they need to have ui do it
Reading the statute it seems that if it is overhanging a street in some way (the trunk is probably about 14 feet from an intersection of 2 roads) it can be deemed a hazard by the tree warden and removed/pruned at town cost. Eversource is listed on the town website as clearing any trees it deems a threat to the wires on my road in the coming months, if the town can't get me to take it out maybe it will shift its attention to Eversource.

Dove

I am currently in migrant caravan #2.
"Whenever, in the opinion of the tree warden, the public safety demands the removal or pruning of any tree or shrub under the tree warden's control, the tree warden may cause such tree, shrub or group of shrubs to be removed or pruned at the expense of the town or borough and the selectmen or borough warden shall order paid to the person performing such work such reasonable compensation therefor as may be determined and approved in writing by the tree warden."

That wording doesn't state that TRex has to pay anything. Relax. And if just 1" of the tree's trunk or root system is within a Town ROW then it is all on the Town to remove hazardous trees.

I am thinking the letter you received is telling you the Town is removing the tree.

Last edited:

Dove

I am currently in migrant caravan #2.
Right of Ways can vary from street edges. Sometimes a Town has 3 feet in. Sometimes 10 feet. Could be 20. Town Assessor maps are a great guide but property surveys rule.

When it comes to trimming trees around wires...that is CL&P or UI's domain and no one can stop them from protecting the lines.

TRest

Horrible
That wording doesn't state that TRex has to pay anything. Relax. And if just 1" of the tree's trunk or root system is within a Town ROW then it is all on the Town to remove hazardous trees.

I am thinking the letter you received is telling you the Town is removing the tree.
That's the statute not the letter, the letter asks me to inform them of what plans I have of removing the tree in 14 days. They are bluffing, the cost appears to be theirs.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction

You owe @DaveHuskiesFan a 12 pack. Minimum.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
That wording doesn't state that TRex has to pay anything. Relax. And if just 1" of the tree's trunk or root system is within a Town ROW then it is all on the Town to remove hazardous trees.I am thinking the letter you received is telling you the Town is removing the tree.
That's the statute not the letter, the letter asks me to inform them of what plans I have of removing the tree in 14 days. They are bluffing, the cost appears to be theirs.
Try and keep up Dove.

Why send a letter? Why not print it out and the next time they come at you present it. No need to get in a pissing spat when you are in the right (and with less resources). Some towns can get arrogant, feisty and combative with their taxpaying residents. Particularly department heads when they are made to look bad.