OT:Travelers | The Boneyard

OT:Travelers

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Geez, half the highlights were replays of moves against poor competition. I think on 2 or 3 of the "highlights" he traveled. Definitely a project, would get eaten alive by AAC competition at this point.

Watch the NCAA tournament. Almodt every drive and many other moves are travels.

The eurostep is a travel. The step back is a travel.

Taking 2 complete steps is a travel.

None of these are ever called.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

?

the Q

Reaction Score

The rule for traveling is simple.

You can lift your pivot foot to pass or shoot. But once it comes back down without either of those happening, it's a travel.

The Eurostep requires you to lift and bring your pivot foot back down before shooting.

The stepback is usually 2 steps after picking up the dribble.

2 complete steps physically requires you to pick up and put your pivot foot back down.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score

lol what?

Reaction Score

I'm not sure you know how basketball works. You sound like the old men that complain about carries on the pickup court, with a dash of delusion.

For your information:

Eurostep is a regular two step and release drive, except you step to the side first, then to the other side, and reverse the ball. It is NOT a euro step if you don't reverse the bball (pet peeve of mine). The player releases the ball on the second step, before the foot goes down. How is this a travel? Please explain.

Step back? That's literally only one step... need I refer you to kemba walker? That entire Pitt team still remembers it was one step. It's mot STEPS back. It's STEP back.

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you know how basketball works. You sound like the old men that complain about carries on the pickup court, with a dash of delusion.

For your information:

Eurostep is a regular two step and release drive, except you step to the side first, then to the other side, and reverse the ball. It is NOT a euro step if you don't reverse the bball (pet peeve of mine). The player releases the ball on the second step, before the foot goes down. How is this a travel? Please explain.

Step back? That's literally only one step... need I refer you to kemba walker? That entire Pitt team still remembers it was one step. It's mot STEPS back. It's STEP back.

No. Both feet come up and down, and then another foot comes up again.

Reaction Score
Earlier you had mentioned that everyone does it, so its not a big deal (at least that's what I summized). I think experiments with fundamentally flawed players should cease not continue for our Huskies.

If traveling is overlooked its because of the athleticism, speed and skill of the players which is just too quick for some referee's. When your taking a project into account, the pace is slowed to a level that entry level ref's will be able to call. Let's expect our staff to recruit basketball players with skill sets they can hone and keep the projects (although a necessity) at a minimum.

Reaction Score

For which move, step back or eurostep? You need to specify which you're talking about if you're going to make a most likely ridiculous argument, considering neither of those involve taking two steps and putting both feet down.

Edit: You know. I'm just going tell you you're wrong, and you're not going to believe me because this is the boneyard. We'll argue, and no one will concede. yadda yadda yadda. You're probably one of these old dude's who insists a jump stop is a travel as well.

The better argument could be made for a step back, because if you don't land on both feet at the same time when jumping back, it is a travel. Very similar to a jump stop. And I think that some players really push what is allowed with that.

A eurostep is a different story. You are down the exact same type of footwork as a layup, but moving side to side and finishing reverse. Not even close to a travel. Bob Cousy would even agree with that.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
For which move, step back or eurostep? You need to specify which you're talking about if you're going to make a most likely ridiculous argument, considering neither of those involve taking two steps and putting both feet down.

Edit: You know. I'm just going tell you you're wrong, and you're not going to believe me because this is the boneyard. We'll argue, and no one will concede. yadda yadda yadda. You're probably one of these old dude's who insists a jump stop is a travel as well.

The better argument could be made for a step back, because if you don't land on both feet at the same time when jumping back, it is a travel. Very similar to a jump stop. And I think that some players really push what is allowed with that.

A eurostep is a different story. You are down the exact same type of footwork as a layup, but moving side to side and finishing reverse. Not even close to a travel. Bob Cousy would even agree with that.

I'm talking about the eurostep.

Here's an example:

in the college or HS game, that is a travel (i know the NBA changed their travel rule to whatever it's sports entertainment purposes required). He picks up his dribble and lifts and puts down both the left and right foot before lifting the left leg again for the layup.

Reaction Score

Here's an example:

in the college or HS game, that is a travel (i know the NBA changed their travel rule to whatever it's sports entertainment purposes required). He picks up his dribble and lifts and puts down both the left and right foot before lifting the left leg again for the layup.

You are wrong. He did pick up the ball a little early, so on review I probably would have called it a travel, personally. But it's close. That is one example of literally tens of thousands of NBA eurosteps. In basketball, you are allowed to take TWO STEPS as long as the ball releases from your hand before the opposite foot hits the ground after the second step. Left, Right, Release, Drop the left foot.

The eurostep is NO DIFFERENT than a regular two-step drive except that you shift your weight to step wide side to side. Do you understand that? I repeat: A eurostep is NO different than a regular drive as far as number of steps and timing of release. The ball still releases from the hand before the foot hits the floor.

You are simply, completely, and utterly, wrong. I am willing to concede some carries, and kids do get away with travelling more than they should, but you are just wrong.

I coach varsity basketball. And have ref'd. you are wrong.

This will be my last response.

Euro Step Series James Harden Kyrie Irving Dwyane Wade

Many more example. A few iffy travels, vast majority are legal. The NBA refs are pretty bad, but I'm thankful you don't suit up.

Reaction Score

Here's an example:

3784250.jpg

Reaction Score
You are wrong. He did pick up the ball a little early, so on review I probably would have called it a travel, personally. But it's close. That is one example of literally tens of thousands of NBA eurosteps. In basketball, you are allowed to take TWO STEPS as long as the ball releases from your hand before the opposite foot hits the ground after the second step. Left, Right, Release, Drop the left foot.

The eurostep is NO DIFFERENT than a regular two-step drive except that you shift your weight to step wide side to side. Do you understand that? I repeat: A eurostep is NO different than a regular drive as far as number of steps and timing of release. The ball still releases from the hand before the foot hits the floor.

You are simply, completely, and utterly, wrong. I am willing to concede some carries, and kids do get away with travelling more than they should, but you are just wrong.

Many more example. A few iffy travels, vast majority are legal. The NBA refs are pretty bad, but I'm thankful you don't suit up.

I second this post. I have never put on the stripes but I also spend my time yelling at them as a varsity basketball coach as well. He is delusional, young, or maybe high, not sure. NBA refs I swear have been told by their superiors at this point to not slow the game down or lower the scores and thus call no very few travels. It gets super annoying because it changes the game and the defense stops at times. But it is what it is. Euro step and all those other moves he refers to are clearly not travels when done properly.

the Q

Reaction Score

You don't know the rule then.

You're not allowed 2 steps.

The rule book actually says nothing about number of steps you're allowed for a travel.

And I do ref and the interpreter said the eurostep is a travel. Because the that Harden play is what a eurostep is. It's up down on one leg, up down on another leg, then one leg goes back up again for the lay-up type action you're referring to. Or in your vernacular, Harden took 2.5 steps on that play.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
What I really hate is the step-through, where the offensive player has established his pivot foot and then lifts it and takes a full step forward to gain separation from the defender but they no longer call a travel as long as the shot or pass is made before the relocated pivot foot hits the ground. It should be a travel from the instant that the pivot foot is raised

Reaction Score
Important to note the distinction between being legal in NBA and not in NCAA.

Reaction Score

The rule book actually says nothing about number of steps you're allowed for a travel.

And I do ref and the interpreter said the eurostep is a travel. Because the that Harden play is what a eurostep is. It's up down on one leg, up down on another leg, then one leg goes back up again for the lay-up type action you're referring to. Or in your vernacular, Harden took 2.5 steps on that play.

Cool story, bro.

Reaction Score
What I really hate is the step-through, where the offensive player has established his pivot foot and then lifts it and takes a full step forward to gain separation from the defender but they no longer call a travel as long as the shot or pass is made before the relocated pivot foot hits the ground. It should be a travel from the instant that the pivot foot is raised

No.

Just like with a layup. The first step establishes the pivot, you can lift the pivot foot, but must release the ball before it hits the ground.

You are more reasonable than the other clown, which I appreciate, but I'm shocked at how little people on here know about basketball.

You're limiting 90% of old school, good post play if you take away that move. The "dream shake" was entirely predicated on it. Boogie thrives on it, etc.

Reaction Score
What Harden did was absolutely a travel, because he took an extra step. It has nothing to do with it being a Euro step.

It would be a travel if he just went up for a regular layup without moving side to side (which is the euro step) and took an extra step after finishing his gather.

I feel like a lot of people end up getting confused about the rules because in the NBA, and especially super stars like Harden, get away with so much travelling that people start associating what they do with the move. In this case because Harden is well known for the Euro step, you think what he did was the Euro step. Except you think the travel part is the Euro-step when it's actually the two steps he took from one side to another, not the third step.

I also see a lot of younger fans excusing LeBron and other stars' travels by saying they are still in their 'gather' which is a pet peeve of mine because this is the one rule that NBA stars have stretched to no end by taking way too many steps before they claim they have 'gained control of the ball' when in fact it's been in their hand for 1 or 2 steps already. In this particular case, Harden is claiming in the first step he didn't have full control of the ball and therefore not counted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I do know the rule, quite well actually.

How is the footwork of a eurostep, in terms of establishment of pivot foot/release of the ball different than a standard layup?

The offensive player releases the ball, and steps. This establishes the pivot foot. The next step is A pivot. The pivot foot then lifts, and the ball must release before that pivot foot touches the ground again. This is a longstanding and fundamental rule of basketball.

A eurostep does this normal layup motion, but with an angled step....

Is your point that when a player does this running The pivot foot lifts earlier? Because that is the same as with a layup. You really make no sense.

Reaction Score
What Harden did was absolutely a travel, because he took an extra step. It has nothing to do with it being a Euro step.

It would be a travel if he just went up for a regular layup without moving side to side (which is the euro step) and took an extra step prior to finishing his gather.

I feel like a lot of people end up getting confused about the rules because in the NBA, and especially super stars like Harden, get away with so much travelling that people start associating what they do with the move. In this case because Harden is well known for the Euro step, you think what he did was the Euro step. Except you think the travel part is the Euro-step when it's actually the two steps he took from one side to another, not the third step.

I also see a lot of younger fans excusing LeBron and other stars' travels by saying they are still in their 'gather' which is a pet peeve of mine because this is the one rule that NBA stars have stretched to no end by taking way too many steps before they claim they have 'gained control of the ball' when in fact it's been in their hand for 1 or 2 steps already. In this particular case, Harden is claiming in the first step he didn't have full control of the ball and therefore not counted.

Harden travelled, agreed. I just don't understand how an argument can be made that the eurostep or stepback are, by nature, traveling.

Players have milked this rule to no end, but the eurostep when executed properly is legitimate, which my friend Q doesn't seem to understand.

Would you agree that a proper eurostep would follow the same traveling rules as a layup?

Reaction Score
I second this post. I have never put on the stripes but I also spend my time yelling at them as a varsity basketball coach as well. He is delusional, young, or maybe high, not sure. NBA refs I swear have been told by their superiors at this point to not slow the game down or lower the scores and thus call no very few travels. It gets super annoying because it changes the game and the defense stops at times. But it is what it is. Euro step and all those other moves he refers to are clearly not travels when done properly.

Young bucks don't care about this stuff. Definitely an old guy who wants to remember the good old days when we had 6'6 centers and no one actually watched basketball. This is the kind of guy who hit the ham to bob Cousy as a young whipersnapper, but would probably complain Cousy travelled if you put him in the Cs tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Would you agree that a proper eurostep would follow the same traveling rules as a layup?

Well I obviously agree with you on the euro step. I remember when I was 11 or 12 and I would do a layup while faking a pass a-la Scottie Pippen and all the other kids would say I traveled.

Though I think I understand HuskyHarry's comment about the step through. What you said is correct in terms of the rules, however the application leave people confused. I think the HuskyHarry is talking about the case where the player interprets their second landing foot as the pivot after a move and then takes another step forward with the first foot before jumping and shooting when in fact their first landed foot was the pivot and has to shoot before that foot lands again.

Reaction Score
Harden travelled, agreed. I just don't understand how an argument can be made that the eurostep or stepback are, by nature, traveling.

Players have milked this rule to no end, but the eurostep when executed properly is legitimate, which my friend Q doesn't seem to understand.

You and @the Q seem to be arguing based on different feet on the ground when the dribble is caught.

In that sense, a Eurostep CAN be a travel, but it can also be legal.

Reaction Score
Well I obviously agree with you on the euro step. I remember when I was 11 or 12 and I would do a layup while faking a pass a-la Scottie Pippen and all the other kids would say I traveled.

Though I think I understand HuskyHarry's comment about the step through. What you said is correct in terms of the rules, however the application leave people confused. I think the HuskyHarry is talking about the case where the player interprets their second landing foot as the pivot after a move and then takes another step forward with the first foot before jumping and shooting when in fact their first landed foot was the pivot and has to shoot before that foot lands again.

That makes sense. That's why you need to jump stop to pull that move off properly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom